+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: 4/21 Idol Gives Back *Spoilers*

Re: 4/21 Idol Gives Back *Spoilers*

Casey was doing enough to keep himself afloat. In other words, singing songs that are safe and he know he can do with ease. But doing this is means making himself uninteresting to the point of boring his audience because it means he's doing the same thing over and over again. He's currently trapped into that zone. Well, it finally caught up with him but it's not too late since he was not eliminated. His die-hard fans will still vote for him but casual fans will vote for someone else. He has to make some changes and surprise us in order for him to garner new fans. I guess his niche is bluesy pop but it gets tedious after a while especially if you keep singing basically mediocre songs that really are not meant to sing in a contest....simple arrangement, average melody, not enough range to make it vocally challenging...but only meant to be sung as a filler in a concert or when you're having a jam session with your buddies in a garage.

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe;3883283;
    Casey was doing enough to keep himself afloat. In other words, singing songs that are safe and he know he can do with ease. But doing this is means making himself uninteresting to the point of boring his audience because it means he's doing the same thing over and over again. He's currently trapped into that zone. Well, it finally caught up with him but it's not too late since he was not eliminated. His die-hard fans will still vote for him but casual fans will vote for someone else. He has to make some changes and surprise us in order for him to garner new fans. I guess his niche is bluesy pop but it gets tedious after a while especially if you keep singing basically mediocre songs that really are not meant to sing in a contest....simple arrangement, average melody, not enough range to make it vocally challenging...but only meant to be sung as a filler in a concert or when you're having a jam session with your buddies in a garage.
    There have been a number of musicians who started out strong and then after a few years, you realize they keep singing the SAME thing over and over. I can thing of many of them that you might say "Gosh, all their songs sound the same". It gets boring. I'm not saying Casey should whip out a disco song, but he has been doing rather bland music (though I loved the Lennon song).
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3883027;
    I was very surprised at the sentiment on this board about Tim leaving. I expected more people saying it was his time, if not well past. Yes, he had endearing qualities. But he shouldn't have stayed over anyone else. Especially Casey! That's another surprise, that his popularity has dropped that low. He hasn't been choosing good songs, I agree. And if he doesn't step it up pronto, he'll be leaving. But he hasn't really put out a bad performance. I for one would have lost one of my two favorites. I was very relieved Casey will be back next week.
    Nope, I agree - well past. Idol finally did give something to me, granting a weeks-long wish to rid my TV of Tim. He can join the other floppy-haired pretty boys for the tween screamers on the Disney Channel.

I'm glad Casey will be back, too. I have always hated "Don't Stop" so I got nothing from his performance on Tuesday. I would like to see him do some more interesting material as well - I really like his voice but I get bored easily. Two weeks of okay is bearable, three makes me itch for the fast-forward button.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

I figured Tim would go. Can you imagine if there was a shocker last night? That would suck all the life out of the room! I'm not suggesting that it was set up that way. It was just a fitting elimination for the night, don't you think?
    The show's writers must think we are stupid. They put Crystal and Casey up against each other. We know Crystal isn't going to be in the bottom. New mic stand, pimp spot, judge's favorite, she cried... no way was she going to be in the bottom! That had to have been the least suspenseful moment of the season. I rolled my eyes! Come on, guys! Don't waste our time! They should have switched Crystal with Siobhan. That would have added more suspense.

Didn't realize it started so early last night, so I missed just about all of it last night.I did get to see MJB and I'm ambivalent about how I felt about that version. I hated that sunglasses overdramatic effect. But, I understand why she might want to do it. Loved seeing Randy play guitar. Robert Plant and Zeppelin will always be "Stairway" for me, but I give MJB and the band credit for even attempting this.
    While I agree we were just counting down to Tim's ouster, I do think his behavior on this show should set an example for Idol contestants who want to fight with the judges and / or insult the audience when they're voted off the Nokia. Tim was the paragon of class and humility. Got to praise the guy for that.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3883384;
    Didn't realize it started so early last night, so I missed just about all of it last night.I did get to see MJB and I'm ambivalent about how I felt about that version. I hated that sunglasses overdramatic effect. But, I understand why she might want to do it. Loved seeing Randy play guitar. Robert Plant and Zeppelin will always be "Stairway" for me, but I give MJB and the band credit for even attempting this.
    While I agree we were just counting down to Tim's ouster, I do think his behavior on this show should set an example for Idol contestants who want to fight with the judges and / or insult the audience when they're voted off the Nokia. Tim was the paragon of class and humility. Got to praise the guy for that.

As much as I liked Lily, who didn't even make the tour I was a little disappointed in her exit. She certainly could've taken a lesson from our man Tim!
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakee;3883414;

As much as I liked Lily, who didn't even make the tour I was a little disappointed in her exit. She certainly could've taken a lesson from our man Tim!

I felt that way, too.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe;3883283;
    I'm a huge fan of Casey, but your are correct that he is going too often to the safe, boring songs. Nevertheless, he doesn't always sound the "same" to me anymore than the sublime Crystal, the wonderful Elliott Yamin or the great Alicia Keyes do. All great artists have an identifiable sound, and Casey manages to vary his tones nicely within his genre. The only person who sounds different each week is Siobhan, and the judges are crucifying her for it, unfortunately. Actually, Siobhan has a weird Goth-Broadway style that she stays pretty committed to.

---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-22-2010 at 07:02 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3883479;
    ... Actually, Siobhan has a weird Goth-Broadway style that she stays pretty committed to.
    Funny, I've never see the Goth-Broadway section in my local CD store. That must be where they keep the recordings of Rocky Horror Show, and The Addams Family and... well, I guess that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3883514;
    Funny, I've never see the Goth-Broadway section in my local CD store. That must be where they keep the recordings of Rocky Horror Show, and The Addams Family and... well, I guess that's it.
    I'm glad you noticed the term. It was the only thing I could think of to describe her.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

+ Reply to Thread