+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Happened to this Season Being Strong for the Girls

FORT Newbie

What Happened to this Season Being Strong for the Girls

I really think the time has passed for the success of the females on the show. Too many girls (especially young one) vote and they don't vote for their own but instead which guy seems to be the cutest in their mind regardless of talent. What else could explain Kris Allen beating Adam Lambert last year.

This is at least the third straight year that the guys have taken over after the final 12. I think it's more of a voting inequitity moreso than a talent inequity.

It's really about personal favorites first including music styles, the singers personal stories second, and actual singing talent third.

I think Crystal will probably be the last female standing but I can see it as 5 guys of the last 7 or 8 singers standing. Crystal is likely not going to end up winning because I just don't see her having the kind of personality to gain massive votes versus guys like Michael, Casey or Aaron.

My pick for the winner this year is Michael Lynch. He is good but he is also alot more interesting than Crystal. Crystal would probably win if the finale was between 3 or 4 singers but in a one on one against the top 3 guys I can see her going down.

FORT Fan

Re: What Happened to this Season Being Strong for the Girls

The show really took a turn for the worse when Lilly and Katelyn were voted out. Next to Crystal and Siobhan, they were the most talented of the girls.

I was thinking the same thing last night, looking at whose left. I never thought it was the season of the girls myself though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossome;3867842;
    I really think the time has passed for the success of the females on the show. Too many girls (especially young one) vote and they don't vote for their own but instead which guy seems to be the cutest in their mind regardless of talent. What else could explain Kris Allen beating Adam Lambert last year.
    While I agree with pretty much everything you said, I do not agree with the bolded part. I don't think Adam was more talented than Kris. It's like comparing apples to oranges, they are two entirely different types of singers and both were very good in their fields. I would have been happy with either winning, while I liked Kris more, it had nothing to do with looks since I think he looks a bit like a troll baby. For me, it was the simple fact that I found Adam too screamy and out-dated and I prefer the Indie-Singer/songwriter vibe.

I also feel that the oomph went out of the show when Katelyn and Lily were eliminated. They should have been in the top 4 along with Siobhan and Crystal but I don't see that happening now.

Now I see this being an all male race and it will be that way every single year unless they do something to change the voting.

There is a thread asking what can be done to improve this show, for me the main thing is to find a way to take the power out of the tweens hands who are voting for looks over ability. How else do you explain Tim still being in this thing? He cannot sing but sure is pretty, if you go for that sort of look (which I don't.).

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

This is at least the third straight year that the guys have taken over after the final 12. I think it's more of a voting inequitity moreso than a talent inequity.

It's really about personal favorites first including music styles, the singers personal stories second, and actual singing talent third.

I think Crystal will probably be the last female standing but I can see it as 5 guys of the last 7 or 8 singers standing. Crystal is likely not going to end up winning because I just don't see her having the kind of personality to gain massive votes versus guys like Michael, Casey or Aaron.

My pick for the winner this year is Michael Lynch. He is good but he is also alot more interesting than Crystal. Crystal would probably win if the finale was between 3 or 4 singers but in a one on one against the top 3 guys I can see her going down.

While I am surprised at there being 3 girls eliminated before any of the "top" 6 guys, I wanted to address why Kris beat Adam last year - not that I'm the expert on it. I never once voted for Kris because he was cute. And if he was an awful singer, I would never have voted for him. But he did have some great moments, and I liked him a heck of a lot more than I did/do Adam. Adam was and is very polarizing. You love him or hate him. I guess I don't hate him, but I never liked his style at all. While Kris does have a lot of fans, I've always felt that he got a lot of votes because he was liked more in general by more people than Adam.

ETA: Ha! I see we were on the same page, Harmony!
    Last edited by BuckeyeAddict; 04-01-2010 at 10:10 AM.

I disagree about Kris and Adam as well - Everyone in my house - regardless of age or gender - preferred Kris over Adam and that is who we voted for. Kris had mass appeal and to win AI you need that.

There were too many girls with the same style this year and none of them were mainstream - most of them have an indie vibe and that is why Lily got voted off. Paige was horrible last week and never did a great job. Didi also had a bad week and really has failed to perform well since making the top 12.

Tim Urban is still in the competition b/c while he is bad - he isn't as horribly bad as the judges have made him out to be. He's cute, he has a good attitude and tween girls love him - throw in support from people who hate the show and he has a recipe for a good run on AI. I would venture to say that if Tim Urban is willing to embrace the Zac Efron inside of him that he could end up being one of the most successful idols.

I think a guy will win this year - Siobhan does not have mass appeal. Much like Simon said - people will love or hate her and truthfully - the screaming is old. If she doesn't go back to just singing - she will be in trouble. Crystal again is a great singer but lacks mass appeal - many people feel she isn't current and not their style of music.

I choose to vote for singers when they sing and I say - yea - I'd buy that. There are times I think someone performed and sang well but I know I would not buy their album. I am sure many people feel that way.

Like it or not - young girls have strong voting and buying power and will influence who wins and who will ultimately sell the most albums.

I also fidn this statement amazing:
    don't vote for their own
    . By that standard, I would never vote for a guy, an African American, etc. I vote for who I most want to buy a record from regardless of any gender or race factors.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3867900;
    While I am surprised at there being 3 girls eliminated before any of the "top" 6 guys, I wanted to address why Kris beat Adam last year - not that I'm the expert on it. I never once voted for Kris because he was cute. And if he was an awful singer, I would never have voted for him. But he did have some great moments, and I liked him a heck of a lot more than I did/do Adam. Adam was and is very polarizing. You love him or hate him. I guess I don't hate him, but I never liked his style at all. While Kris does have a lot of fans, I've always felt that he got a lot of votes because he was liked more in general by more people than Adam.

ETA: Ha! I see we were on the same page, Harmony!
    LOL!!

Kris had some amazing moments, when he goes soft and tender and acoustic? Wow...shivers! He doesn't have a powerful voice and a crazy range but I'm not a big fan of all that anyways, I prefer the coffeehouse vibe myself and that was why he was my favorite. Nothing to do with looks since he isn't all that cute.

I don't hate Adam either, he is just not the type of singer I get into or the type of music I would ever voluntarily listen to. I do get annoyed with the bickering over who should have won or who was better, etc, etc that goes on in many forums and it's why I eventually stopped reading anything about either of them.

They are both good, in different ways.

FORT Fogey

it is not over yet. i see Andrew, Tim and Lee the next three to go the next 3 weeks then Katie. At the end of the season, we won't remember who went when but who were the top 2 and who won.

FORT Fogey

It's really about personal favorites first including music styles, the singers personal stories second, and actual singing talent third..
    This is an interesting question - and one that was on my mind last night as we saw the third female in a row leave the Idol finals.

But before I get into it, I want to put aside the whole Kris/Adam thing. First, I think it's irrelevant - both Kris and Adam are good looking guys and have demonstrated their ability to dazzle female fans. Second, the Season Eight finale has been re-fought on this board so many times - I don't think there's really anything new to say about it.

Now to start with , the whole "Year of the Girl" thing was a ridiculous PR move on the part of Idol producers to start with. They can select 12 girls and pimp the heck out of them - but they can't force people to vote for them once the finals start. So making a pronouncement at the beginning of the season that a girl would win, just makes them look dumb.

Next - the myth of the tween girls - where does this come from? This seems to be accepted wisdom that Idol voting is controlled by teenage girls. Where are the statistics? Where is the data? As I have said before - it doesn't exist. The theory lives on solely because people are looking for a way to explain the seemingly unexplainable results.

We do know who watches the show - and it ain't teenagers. The Idol demographic has gone up every year as ratings are collected. It's biggest base is the 30 - 50 year old viewers. In other words, it's the parents of the teens that are watching. Which means that for many teens, Idol is not cool - it's their parent's show. For my boomer generation, it would be like watching Mitch Miller, Ed Sullivan, or Lawrence Welk when we were growing up.

Sure, some teens watch and vote. But can they alone dictate who advances and who falls - no. They are a minority demographic. Their affect is felt in the margins - such as lifting T Urban just slightly above the lowest total votes.

Back to the gender breakdown in Season Nine. It seems to me, that Crystal, Siobhan, Casey, Michael, and Lee are contenders for the Final Four. While Tim, Katie, Andrew, and Didi were at the bottom. That's based on their performances, not their cuteness.

Were Lacey, Didi, or Paige moving towards a Final Four position? No way. Every week of the finals, in my opinion, the person who left deserved to go. You could argue that someone else deserved it more, but they all left after giving multiple bad performances.

Finally, Crystal is still the undisputed leader of the Season. This is unprecedented - I can't think of another front runner who has solidified her position in five consecutive performances. Of course, once we get to the final four - anything can happen since the goal at that point is to appeal to the broadest section of the audience. But Crystal seems to be in a much better position to do that than anyone else.

So, maybe it WILL be "The Year of the Girl" after all.

IMHO the really bad singers outweight the really good ones. I can't keep losing hours of my life watching this show anymore.
    Seriously, why is this Tim still in this competition? I just don't get it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast