+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: AI 9 Theme Weeks

Re: AI 9 Theme Weeks

Beatles week?

Crystal
    --------
    Well with Crystal there's actually an interesting problem. She could probably totally kill with ANY Beatles song and its a matter of choosing one among the pack that's marginally best for her.

"Across The Universe" might be interesting for Crystal. Anyone else in the current cast would totally tank with that, but she wouldn't.

Or a flat out rocker would work really well for her. "Back in the USSR", for example. Or "Revolution" would be a slam dunk. She could do the "Hey, Jude" type quiet songs just as well, but seeing her rock out would be better.

Or an odd thought... "Get Back".

Siobahn
    ---------
    Now on to Siobahn. I'd actually like to see her do a Ballad. THAT would be a change-up for her. Maybe something a BIT off center though, like "If I Fell". But I suppose if she wants to go for the predictable it would be "Let It Be".

Big Mike
    ----------
    "I've Just Seen a Face". Yes, he COULD do one of their many early R&B songs... but why be so predictable?

Lee
    ----
    For some reason I see him doing "Michelle".

Casey
    ------
    I have this crazy idea of Casey doing "Helter Skelter" as a Southern Rocker song.

Lil' Aaron
    ----------
    "This Boy". Seriously. Or maybe as a backup, "And I Love Her".

Robot Katie, Hair Boy (Tim) and Andrew? No idea yet. Although I'm thinking Andrew might also be a "Helter Skelter" candidate if he re-arranges the song in a certain way.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Krom, I've been trying to think of what some will sing, too. Casey said he's going acoustic, so I'm guessing he's going with a ballad, which could be Blackbird, Yesterday, And I Love Her, or several others. I hope Crystal doesn't do Back in the USSR. Amanda did it a few years ago, and I just don't think it went over well. Doesn't mean Crystal couldn't do right by it. I do like your idea of Across the Universe, though.

Siobhan has an opportunity to shine, IMO, as long as she sticks to her resolve not to do a song that requires screaming - so no Revolution!

Casey said he's going acoustic, so I'm guessing he's going with a ballad, which could be Blackbird, Yesterday, And I Love Her, or several others.
    Then he's dumb. His problem has been not showing enough dynamism on stage. He needs something where he can totally rock out and burn the house down (as well as something which gets his @ss out from behind that mike, where he stands like he's been planted--he needs something which almost REQUIRES him to stomp around the stage).

I really think that Beatles week is one where going against type might be a good move. Thus Siobahn singing something ballady and pretty. Casey getting louder and more dynamic. Big Mike steering away from R&B. That was the logic of a few of my choices. I left Lee and Lil' Aaron in their regular wheelhouses, but that's because I don't think such a change up would profit either of them as much.
    Last edited by Krom; 04-03-2010 at 01:18 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

There are so many wonderful songs to choose from this week that if these guys pick the wrong one, it's their own fault. I would love to hear someone do Alison Krauss' cover of I Will. Maybe Siobhan? Or, she could do Dear Prudence. Casey could do I've Just Seen a Face from the movie Across the Universe (Jim Sturgess did a great cover!). I could definitley see Lee, or even Casey do I've Got a Feeling. Done right, it would truly be a Moment! As much as I don't care for Katie, she could try the Vines' cover of I'm Only Sleeping. Some other songs I'd love to hear:

Oh Darling! (Michael?)
    If I Fell
    Don't Let Me Down
    In My Life
    And I Love Her
    This Boy (Aaron?)
    I'll Follow the Sun
    I Am the Walrus (Bono's cover)

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3862623;
    It's R&B week this week and Usher is the guest mentor. Here's the list of approved songs the Top Ten have to choose from.

American Idol Top 10 Theme – R&B song list
    Okay...Usher was announced as top 10 mentor almost a week before the top ten performance night.

I just checked AI's web site and news and still can't find info on a mentor for this week and it's one day before top 9 performances.

This gives me more hope the Sir Paul, who was in LA last week, will indeed be the special surprise mentor!
    Ain't Love Grand!

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marlap;3869935;
    Okay...Usher was announced as top 10 mentor almost a week before the top ten performance night.

I just checked AI's web site and news and still can't find info on a mentor for this week and it's one day before top 9 performances.

This gives me more hope the Sir Paul, who was in LA last week, will indeed be the special surprise mentor!
    Iím still hoping too, Marlap. But remember, they donít always have a mentor. If I remember correctly, during season 7, there were no mentors during the 2 Beatles weeks. Not trying to dash your hopes, because I still have a little flicker going! But Iím not holding my breath either.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3870010;
    Iím still hoping too, Marlap. But remember, they donít always have a mentor. If I remember correctly, during season 7, there were no mentors during the 2 Beatles weeks. Not trying to dash your hopes, because I still have a little flicker going! But Iím not holding my breath either.
    yeah, I totally agree...I was actually thinking that they sometimes don't have mentors too.

It will be great if he's there though. I think there's a better chance than normal given he was in town last week...and although I can't remember where exactly...I remember hearing a couple of years ago that he was a fan of AI.

Keeping fingers crossed!
    Ain't Love Grand!

Just thought of another clue that potentially lends credence to their being a mentor: The show is scheduled for two hours.

If the top 9 were sionging and there is no mentor segment...it would probably only be 1 1/2 hours.

Of course, they may be having "getting to know them better" segments instead of mentor segments. Just another hint it may be Sir Paul.
    Ain't Love Grand!

Top 9 Week: Theme and Guest Performers - Show and Alumni News - American Idol
    April 5, 2010 | 03:26 pm PT
    Top 9 Week: Theme and Guest Performers

You’re in for an exciting week as the Season 9 Top 9 take on songs by John Lennon and Paul McCartney of The Beatles. Tune in on Tuesday at 8/7c for the Top 9’s live performances only on FOX. The Season 7 Top 12 tackled this theme back in 2008. Check out photos from their Lennon/McCartney Songbook performances.

You won't want to miss Wednesday’s results show at 9/8c. Rihanna will perform “Te Amo” off her record Rated R, Jason DerŁlo will rock the stage with “In My Head,” and Season 7 runner-up David Archuleta will reprise his emotional performance of John Lennon’s “Imagine.”

And Rihanna is performing Wednesday because...........
    I can see bring David A back, but why Rihanna? Has she ever done a Lennon/McCartney song?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread