+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2/17 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 2/17 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3831992;
    I'm picking up on Twitter that Fox just released a statement (which I have not yet seen) that says what we have all already figured out: Chris Golightly was dropped from the competition because he was ineligible. Tim Urban has replaced him. Duh! Well, at least they are owning up to it. (In the past two hours every Idol reporter I follow has said they are trying to get a statement from Fox, but Fox wasn't talking.)
    Thanks TopCatDC!!!! I have been following the spoiler list for weeks and couldn't believe it was wrong!!! But lo and behold, Chris was standing on stage with the Top 24, but when announced individually - it was Tim!!! Which I was very happy with Yes talk about waiting til the last minute. Yikes!!!

FORT Fogey

Why am I not in bed? Because this story is exploding.

OK. Joe's Place is turning into a regular Woodward & Bernstein operation. They tracked down Chris through Facebook, and called him. Chris didn't know who they were, but wanted to get his story out and promised to talk to any reporters that wanted to follow up. Here's the gist of what happened, according to Chris:
    • Chris had a contract with a boy band. That contract expired last June.
    • Chris auditioned for Idol in July, and asserted that he had no current record contract.
    • Chris made it all the way through Idol to the Top 24.
    • Last week, the producer from Chris's old contract called Idol and said that Chris was still under contract to him.
    • Chris told Idol that wasn't true, but he couldn't find the release document.
    • Many lawyers get involved; there are meetings and phone calls.
    • Idol called Chris at 5pm yesterday and told him that since he couldn't prove that he was released, they were dropping him from the show.
    • Later yesterday evening, Chris's old manager found a copy of the release and e-mailed it to all the people involved.
    • No one at Idol will take Chris's calls. They also told him since he made the semi-finals he couldn't try out again.
    • He quit his job and sold his car after making Top 24. He's now sleeping in a friend's garage.

This story is not going away any time soon.

Well it's great that AI finally giving some more airtime to top 24 contestants who don't even have back stories and showing us how they made the 24 finalists with their performances in their auditions. But who are Michelle Delamor and Paige Miles? They where shown in their singing groups but they were not even shown with their solos, they were not even shown a recap when selected to make the final 24. They were just mentioned that they made the top 24, that's that. Don't even know how good they are and if they were better than Angela Martin who I think should have made the top 24.

I think Katelyn Epperly, having heard her sing should have gone home instead who I think is the weakest of the girls. Speaking of weak...Tim Urban is hella weaker than Chris Golightly so I understand why he wasn't even selected originally. I'm not impressed with Micheal Lynch either but the judges seem to love this guy. Thaddeus Johnson is a better singer. Too bad Jamar Rogers would have made it if he didn't quit in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3831999;
    Why am I not in bed? Because this story is exploding.

OK. Joe's Place is turning into a regular Woodward & Bernstein operation. They tracked down Chris through Facebook, and called him. Chris didn't know who they were, but wanted to get his story out and promised to talk to any reporters that wanted to follow up. Here's the gist of what happened, according to Chris:
    • Chris had a contract with a boy band. That contract expired last June.
    • Chris auditioned for Idol in July, and asserted that he had no current record contract.
    • Chris made it all the way through Idol to the Top 24.
    • Last week, the producer from Chris's old contract called Idol and said that Chris was still under contract to him.
    • Chris told Idol that wasn't true, but he couldn't find the release document.
    • Many lawyers get involved; there are meetings and phone calls.
    • Idol called Chris at 5pm yesterday and told him that since he couldn't prove that he was released, they were dropping him from the show.
    • Later yesterday evening, Chris's old manager found a copy of the release and e-mailed it to all the people involved.
    • No one at Idol will take Chris's calls. They also told him since he made the semi-finals he couldn't try out again.
    • He quit his job and sold his car after making Top 24. He's now sleeping in a friend's garage.

This story is not going away any time soon.
    I don't know what to believe. IT will be interesting to see how this pans out.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I had to come here to find out the rumors of Chris Golightly's elimination, but I expect the story will get more attention now that the Top 24 has been set.

Hopefully, the publicity will HELP Chris and something good will come of it.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Chris told Idol that wasn't true, but he couldn't find the release document.
    That sounds like his problem, not AI's. Why in the heck you wouldn't have all your ducks in a row when you're getting the biggest break of your life is beyond me. By the time he produced the documentation it was too late. Too bad for you Chris. Valuable lesson learned.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3832089;
    That sounds like his problem, not AI's. Why in the heck you wouldn't have all your ducks in a row when you're getting the biggest break of your life is beyond me. By the time he produced the documentation it was too late. Too bad for you Chris. Valuable lesson learned.
    I agree Unk. I liked him, but he should have had his documents in a safe place esp since he was trying out for a show that doesn't want you to be under contract
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3832089;
    True.

I'm a little more sympathetic to Chris because he probably had all his documents when he thought they were needed - back in July when he signed the 19E contracts. The problem happened six months later after he had moved into Idol housing and the contract was challenged out of the blue last week. I would expect he would not be running around the country with a cache of legal documents on his person - he had probably put it all in storage somewhere.

So, yes, it was his responsibility, but really that's why actual artists have managers.

Another question I have is this: Back in July was Chris asked by Idol if he was currently under contract, or to disclose if he had ever been under contract?

If it was the former, then he answered truthfully and this is all about getting the documentation to back that up. However, if it was the latter and he misunderstood and said "no", then he technically misrepresented himself. Granted, this misrepresentation puts Idol at no legal risk and is the kind of thing that would usually just be corrected. But it would give Idol a justification to dump him. I bring this up because this seems to be their current tack - that Chris disqualified himself.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 02-18-2010 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3832119;
    True.

I'm a little more sympathetic to Chris because he probably had all his documents when he thought they were needed - back in July when he signed the 19E contracts. The problem happened six months later after he had moved into Idol housing and the contract was challenged out of the blue last week. I would expect he would not be running around the country with a cache of legal documents on his person - he had probably put it all in storage somewhere.

So, yes, it was his responsibility, but really that's why actual artists have managers.
    I agree with this. They took that producer's word and he didn't seem to have any proof that Chris was still under contract with him. Now that this producer has lied about the contract - he is going to be in a lot of trouble. He shot his credibility AND I am willing to bet that Chris will get a nice little settlement from him. Not only did he take away Chris' opportunity to be on Idol this season - he is not allowed to ever audition again...believe me that will be a nice little lawsuit!

Tons of speculation on this, it's almost like we are in The Bachelor thread.
    If the producer produced a signed contract for 19E and Chris couldn't provide a copy of a release they had no choice. Sounds like a very unscrupulous producer Chris was dealing with.

+ Reply to Thread