+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2/9 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 2/9 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Glad to see there was quite a bit more talent this year.
    I enjoyed the gal ( waitress? ) who did the Kara song. However, I do hope she has more of a range in her repertoire. Otherwise, I think she could start to become an Alanis Morrissette for me; unique, but kind of grating after a while. Really enjoyed the one who did Natural Woman.
    While I do think the guy did a very cool cover of Paula's Straight Up, I just don't see him becoming the next American Idol.

I wasn't excited by the Ellen addition. She looked bored and / or angry most of the time I watched. The whole judging dynamic, or lack thereof, just isn't working for me. Hopefully, it will improve.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3823121;
    Welcome to Hollywood! Everybody that comes to Hollywood's got a dream! What's your dream?
    Please keep all discussion of tonight's show in this thread only until 12 midnight Eastern. Thanks and I'm looking forward to a great season!
    Ok I am going to out myself on being old....I remember the line from Pretty Woman when it first came out. Do I get the prize?
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3823587;
    Wow a lot of good talent this year and not a tatiana in the bunch yet this year.
    Nor was there a Sanjaya
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3823760;
    For weeks now Randy (the producer's mouthpiece) has been going around talk shows saying that this is the girls year. Last night's show had the same message. There is no denying that the five girls we saw advance last night have what it takes to compete in the finals. And other than Haeley, who may be a little green for this level of competition, I could see any of them in the Top 5.

I am not sure what the producers hope to accomplish in the long run. There will still be six girls and six guys in the finals, and the audience will be picking based on talent and performance. Maybe they just hope to rev up so much fan support for the girls that they become "too big to fail" as the less known guys get picked off in the early voting rounds.

But then that was their strategy last year and it didn't work out so well for them.
    I think this is why I don't agree with the "picking equal numbers" idea this show has...they should pick the best 12..period...if that means it is a "girl" /"boy" heavy top 12..then so be it.There have been many season where the talent was more favorable with one side than the other.

oh well off my soap box now!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;3824232;
    I think this is why I don't agree with the "picking equal numbers" idea this show has...they should pick the best 12..period...if that means it is a "girl" /"boy" heavy top 12..then so be it.There have been many season where the talent was more favorable with one side than the other.
    They did that last year, and I thought it was OK. However that gender-neutral selection was overshadowed by the completely undemocratic way they shoved five producer favorites into the finals without so much as a how-do-you-do from the voters.

When you think about it though, this whole discussion really only affects the bottom slots. Once the voters get involved (using last year as an example) they do a pretty effective job at eliminating the duds - whatever the gender. And the cream tends to rise to the top.

FORT Fogey

You are right. A number of the people in the finals are cannon fodder.Those worthy of being there remain....for the most part ....to the end

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3824220;
    Nor was there a Sanjaya
    In Actuality during this period of that season pretty much everyone liked Sanjaya, which goes to show you how quickly someone can go from adored to despised on Idol.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;3824293;
    In Actuality during this period of that season pretty much everyone liked Sanjaya, which goes to show you how quickly someone can go from adored to despised on Idol.
    I disagree. I always couldn't stand him and could not figure out how he made it to the top 24. Thought that he stayed on the show way to long as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1;3824323;
    I disagree. I always couldn't stand him and could not figure out how he made it to the top 24. Thought that he stayed on the show way to long as well.
    Which is why I said, pretty much everyone.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

FORT Fogey

We thought Sanjaya had potential. We were wrong!

+ Reply to Thread