+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 80 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast

Thread: Kris Allen - Season 8

Re: Kris Allen - Season 8

I think Kris, more than any other, gets who he is, who his audience is, is better at choosing songs to reflect that. Loved him last night & I still say he is the most marketable one of the season.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3414275;
    I think Kris, more than any other, gets who he is, who his audience is, is better at choosing songs to reflect that. Loved him last night & I still say he is the most marketable one of the season.
    I really liked Kris last night. Some technical problems right at the beginning (too low) and at the end (flat on the falsetto) but everything in between was wonderful.

But, as I mentioned in the show thread, I have to say that I am concerned for his safety:
    • He picked a song that was not well known
    • The song suffered from the cut down to 90 seconds - it lost it's ability to build.
    • People will vote for Anoop because he hit a personal best tonight
    • People will vote for Adam because he's Adam
    • People will vote for Danny because it was an emotional song.
    • People will vote for Allison because she was first and the don't want to see her leave. (I've seen several posts here from people who liked Kris but voted for Allison because they perceived her to be more "in danger".)
    • Although I don't know why, somebody's been voting for Lil and will continue to even though she screwed up The Rose.

That leaves Kris dangling in a situation very similar to Michael Johns last year. (Michael's song fell flat, David Cook had an off week, Archie did well and Jason scored a personal best. Voters rushed to save David Cook. Michael fell through the cracks.)

FORT Fogey

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3414547;
    NICE - thanks for sharing that

I really liked his performance and the song he chose. I think he was the best of the night.

Judges on AI often talk of being "Current".

And they talk of picking quality songs.

When the Idol Theme is "Movies", how can you satisfy these two criteria any more than by going with the reigning Oscar winning song from a movie?

Kudos to Kris. "Endless Love" - give me a break. Bleachhh!

I had never heard that song and have never heard of the movie but I thought it was beautiful. I was totally mesmerized by it
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by waspylookin;3414661;
    Judges on AI often talk of being "Current".

And they talk of picking quality songs.

When the Idol Theme is "Movies", how can you satisfy these two criteria any more than by going with the reigning Oscar winning song from a movie?

Kudos to Kris. "Endless Love" - give me a break. Bleachhh!
    Great point - would have liked to have heard Simon's critique of the performance. Is it just me, or does anyone else perceive preferential treatment/recognition for the "pets" - Adam, Danny, Allison, and Lil. The producers seem to want to make Kris invisible almost.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Kris has been invisible from the beginning. No back story, no recognition before his top 36 performance. He is lucky to still be here.
    My hero - My Dad 3/25/34 - 4/1/09

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3415179;
    Great point - would have liked to have heard Simon's critique of the performance. Is it just me, or does anyone else perceive preferential treatment/recognition for the "pets" - Adam, Danny, Allison, and Lil. The producers seem to want to make Kris invisible almost.
    It was nice to hear Simon pipe up last night.

Kris seems to have a great library of musical knowledge to pick from. He picked an obscure song from an obscure movie & did great things with it. He also knew all the lyrics the night Stevie Wonder performed & was able to sing along with every song. I think this is allowing him to find songs better suited to his abilities & tastes than the other contestants are able to do. Old or new, popular or obscure, rock, soul, blues, Kris just seems to have an answer no matter what the theme.

+ Reply to Thread