+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Neil Diamond Week

Re: Neil Diamond Week

I think David Cook could do a great version of "Love On The Rocks!"
    That's a very powerful song!!

Sorry for popping in like this, I don't normally post in the AI threads. But I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a sound reason behind the genres they pick for these contestants? It drives me crazy...

Don't get me wrong, most of them were good in their time. But to me mostly boooooring today, and so irrelevant. Why do they make these poor souls sing Dolly Parton, Neil Diamond etc..

I'd like to hear them sing songs that are less than 20 years old, to showcase what they really can do in the pop genre. It almost seems like a cruel joke and I can picture the production staff behind the scenes...

"Dude, I got it! Wayne Newton!....no...no...no...chec k this....... Mel Torme! Huh? Huh?" [/insert cheesy smile]

Anyway....just frustrating.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by dodie430;2944386;
    Sorry for popping in like this, I don't normally post in the AI threads. But I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a sound reason behind the genres they pick for these contestants? It drives me crazy...

Don't get me wrong, most of them were good in their time. But to me mostly boooooring today, and so irrelevant. Why do they make these poor souls sing Dolly Parton, Neil Diamond etc..

I'd like to hear them sing songs that are less than 20 years old, to showcase what they really can do in the pop genre. It almost seems like a cruel joke and I can picture the production staff behind the scenes...

"Dude, I got it! Wayne Newton!....no...no...no...chec k this........... - Mel Torme! Huh? Huh?" [/insert cheesy smile]

Anyway....just frustrating.
    The mentors the use seem to be classic or legend artists that are releasing a new cd or show to promote. It is all self promotion and I am sure they get them for a bargain in the process!.......

Think about it..Maraiah Carey's timed to coincide with her cd relase the same day ..coincidence??? Not!

Quote Originally Posted by dodie430;2944386;
    I can think of several possible reasons:

--Artist wants to promote album (Gwen Stefani and Jennifer Lopez last year, Mariah Carey this year -- both had albums dropping on or near their AI appearance dates).

--Trying to enhance ratings by showing someone hugely popular (e.g., Dolly Parton, arguably Barry Manilow a few years back) or by doing something non-pop (the endless Broadway weeks we keep getting hit with).

--Seeing who has the musical intelligence to make something of particularly wacky themes. Interesting that two of the best performances in that line (Kelly Clarkson in Big Band Week, David Cook this past week) had the vocal chops to sing the song straight.

--Sheer reality show brutality; you gotta have a twist at regular intervals to keep things interesting.

David A - Song Sung Blue, or something else easy.
    David C - I won't be surprised if he pops out Sweet Caroline - he is the only one who might do something decent with this song though.

Neil Diamond has an album dropping May 6.

Heh..... If Cook, or anyone, really, does "Sweet Caroline" you can bet I'll be sitting on my couch swinging my hands in the air to the "bum, bum, bum" section.

Sweet Caroline, (bum, bum, bum)
    Good times never seemed so good...
    I've been inclined.... (bum, bum, bum)
    to believe they never woulddddddd....
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2944569;
    Heh..... If Cook, or anyone, really, does "Sweet Caroline" you can bet I'll be sitting on my couch swinging my hands in the air to the "bum, bum, bum" section.

Sweet Caroline, (bum, bum, bum)
    Good times never seemed so good...
    I've been inclined.... (bum, bum, bum)
    to believe they never woulddddddd....
    I'll be right there with you Broadway, with my lighter in the air and a giddy smile on my face!
    Forever a Word Nerd

Nothing against Neil, but why couldn't they bring somebody more current? Between him and ALW that's two weeks of the type of music none of them will be caught dead singing after the show. Not even WonderBoy despite his cheesiness.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Well apparently Carly had chosen Sweet Caroline. Wonder if anyone else will pick it up now that she's gone, but I doubt it. Group sing?

MsFroggy.. I agree with you. All of these kids were born after ND was big... and they aren't exactly rip roaring concert favorite songs for teenagers or young adults.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast