Link Here

Overmyer talks about life after 'Idol'

By TIM BROUK
tbrouk@journalandcourier.com

Amanda Overmyer, Greater Lafayette's "American Idol," is back in Indiana, for now.

For the past few weeks, the singer who nearly cracked the top-10 in the recent "American Idol" season, has been enjoying life back home.

"Aug. 23, I'm getting married (to fiance Casey Taylor) so I've been planning the wedding and getting to relax," said Overmyer, who impressed the nation with her rocking voice and laid-back attitude on one of the most popular reality shows on the planet.

But Overmyer will soon be back at work shopping her demo around Los Angeles, rehearsing with her band and getting ready to play the Harley-Davidson 105th Anniversary Celebration Aug. 28 to 31 in Milwaukee.

Overmyer's first post-"Idol" concert was on May 24 at the legendary Whisky A-Go-Go on Los Angeles' Sunset Strip.

Question: How is L.A. treating you?

Answer: I work there. I don't like it there but we'll see what happens. I'm a country girl and I can't wait to come back here (to Lafayette).

Q: What was it like for you to play the Whiskey?

A: Mario Maglieri, owner of the Rainbow Bar and Grill and the Whiskey, is a really, really great guy. He liked my sound and gave me a headlining show. I feel like I fulfilled a childhood dream playing the Whiskey.

Q: How did you find a band so quick?

A: I got the band right after the show. Rocco Guarino, who produced Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver, got with me, liked my stuff and put the band together. We got to cherry pick the band and they're awesome.

Q: Have you been writing original material lately?

A: Most of the originals we play in the set were written after "Idol." Some I had ideas for before the show. ... I write them on acoustic guitar. I get the basic structure before I show it to the band. Then the guys add in their ideas.

Q: What was it like for you to be on the "American Idol" finale on May 21?

A: We had rehearsals 12 hours a day the week before. It was a huge production. After the rehearsals at 8 p.m., I was going to the studio. It seems a lot of my demo was recorded at 1:30 a.m.

Q: How was the talk show circuit after you left "American Idol?"

A: We did them all in two days. They would just tell me where to go. "Right now, you're going to 'The Today Show.' "

Q: What did you think of David Cook winning?

A: I thought either he or David Archuleta could've won. The final two were the guys who should've been there. I thought they were going to be the top two.