+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much pull do producers/judges have in voting?

How much pull do producers/judges have in voting?

So obviously a contestant needs some semblance of talent or it just won't work, but does anyone else feel like there's some favoritism among the producers?

Like within the top 32 we'd already been SO exposed to some of the semi-finalists, and many of them went on into the finals (in fact, of all the finalists the only ones I don't remember from the pre-semifinal auditions and callbacks are Charles, Trenyce, and Carmen), while some semifinalists had gotten nearly no screen time prior to their group of 8 round (Hadas, George, Patrick, Kimberly K, Nasheka, Chip). I feel like we're much more likely to vote for someone we liked in the early audition shows over someone we'd just met that night (perhaps explaining why Trenyce didn't make the top 3 in her group of 8).

Also, some contestants really have certain gimmicks played up over others. How many times has Fox reminded us that Julia is a hairdresser and Josh is a Marine, while Charles the supermarket boy and Clay's training to become a special ed teacher haven't received nearly as much coverage? And we all know Corey went out on the town three and half months ago, but how many remember what his occupation is?

How much influence do you think the non-performance elements play in america's voting?

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Good question Aota.

And welcome to the FORT!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

FORT Fan

Re: How much pull do producers/judges have in voting?

Originally posted by Aota Bass
    (Hadas, George, Patrick, Kimberly K, Nasheka, Chip). I feel like we're much more likely to vote for someone we liked in the early audition shows over someone we'd just met that night (perhaps explaining why Trenyce didn't make the top 3 in her group of 8).

Also, some contestants really have certain gimmicks played up over others. How many times has Fox reminded us that Julia is a hairdresser and Josh is a Marine, while Charles the supermarket boy and Clay's training to become a special ed teacher haven't received nearly as much coverage? And we all know Corey went out on the town three and half months ago, but how many remember what his occupation is?

How much influence do you think the non-performance elements play in america's voting?
    To me, those elements don't matter. I judge them solely on their performances. But i'm partial to Julia because.... she's my fav.

On the subject, I'm actually REALLY REALLY GLAD the producers haven't spent every show talking about how Clay has been studying to work with autistic kids...that would get SO OLD SO FAST...like milking an honorable career choice for votes- maybe Clay had something to do with that, downplaying that aspect of his life- if so, I have that much more respect for him.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

Wasn't this an issue last year, with that guy who had deaf parents? Didn't Simon actually come out and say he didn't belong in the top ten, but was there only out of a "Sympathy Vote" on behalf of the American voting public?

I'm largely annoyed by the bio pieces they do on the contestants--just a bunch of treacle! They don't usually have much of an effect on my voting. I go off my impressions of their performances.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread