+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Jordin Sparks - Season 6

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;2297819;
    I don't give a hoot whether she or anyone else can sell albums. I love her singing. Regarding Taylor, the guy has sold close to a million records singing in a genre that is 30 years old ('70s blue-eyed soul). That's success in my book.
    You don't care, but the record executives do. And Taylor's debut album sold that, but will his sophomore album do the same? I doubt it. They want another Kelly or Carrie and I think Jordin has it.

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;2298422;
    You don't care, but the record executives do. And Taylor's debut album sold that, but will his sophomore album do the same? I doubt it. They want another Kelly or Carrie and I think Jordin has it.
    I guess I don't care about what the "record executives" want. I'm just interested in seeing a good TV show. This show has thrived on a diverse audience of all ages. According to the show's producers, the vast majority of the viewing audience does not buy records of ANY contestant. As far as the show's producer, Simon Fuller, is concerned, it is the size of the TV audience that is most important. So if some contestant sells "only" a million copies after he wins the contest, Fuller is happy that he has the top-rated show in the industry. If Fuller were so concerned about having only winners who will sell 2 million records after the show, then the producers would only pick singers who perform in a contemporary style in the initial auditions. But that's not the case. Lakisha could win this time and end up recording in a genre (r&b) that won't sell over million records. Same for Taylor's blue-eyed soul. That doesn't mean they are not talented. It just means they are not in a mainstream pop genre like Daughtrey, Kelly or Carrie.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 03-26-2007 at 11:54 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;2298479;
    I guess I don't care about what the "record executives" want. I'm just interested in seeing a good TV show. This show has thrived on a diverse audience of all ages. According to the show's producers, the vast majority of the viewing audience does not buy records of ANY contestant. As far as the show's producer, Simon Fuller, is concerned, it is the size of the TV audience that is most important. So if some contestant sells "only" a million copies after he wins the contest, Fuller is happy that he has the top-rated show in the industry.
    That's very interesting to me. For me, the thrill of the show comes *after* the finale -- it comes from watching finalists become forces in the music world. THAT'S what brings me back to the show every season; I examine each contestant and I get excited thinking about how they might be the next big star a year from now. So I guess it's not all about the show for me; it's about the AI legacy. I like being able to quote stats to my friends who put down AI.
    Last edited by Tara1815; 03-27-2007 at 12:53 AM.

I just read something very interesting about Jordin. She has toured with Michael W. Smith, a Christian singer. From Local music veterans critique 'Idol' finalists - Nashville, Tennessee - Wednesday, 03/28/07 - Tennessean.com
    • Seventeen-year-old Jordin Sparks, who toured with Michael W. Smith, tackled No Doubt's "Hey Baby," which judge Randy Jackson said was a risky but good choice.
    So it appears that Jordin is not such an amateur after all. I still really like her and hope she goes far.

Worst song choice ever, could lead to her leaving tonight.

FORT Fanatic

She shines

I love her voice and she just simply shines. Every week she gets better and every week I like her more. She has something the others just don't have. Her appeal is so natural and refreshing. I thik she may just go all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by superfly;2300425;
    Worst song choice ever, could lead to her leaving tonight.

She's in danger! She was struggling Big Time. She was running out of breath while singing and her outfit was hideous. She looked like a whale in that skirt.
    I like her a lot, but last night was real disappointing. I hope she stays, but all it takes is one bad night & last night would measure up to just that.

One thing you gotta say about Jordin is that no matter what she will take the risk & step out of her comfort zone to try something different. Quite unlike those two boring chosen ones that aren't going to do anything outside of a diva driven R&B theme. I continue to be impressed with Jordin on a week to week basis. I hope she is sitting on that couch long enough to wave bye bye to both Melinda & LaKisha.

FORT Fogey
    I think she is going to be around for a long time. I expect to see either Melinda or Lakisha go before she does. She is young, refreshing and has some spunk. Oh, and a fabulous voice.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2300438;
    I hope she is sitting on that couch long enough to wave bye bye to both Melinda & LaKisha.
    Amen razorbacker!

+ Reply to Thread