+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

  1. #1061
    Rock On, Toby! realityINXS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    Actually, the same things have been noted about Kat's and Chris's fans. No matter how they do--Kat's frequent off-tune screeching and Chris's deadening slow songs--their fans have voted for them.

    Too bad about Kat--pretty voice with no control and little sense of the meaning of songs. Taylor's range is terrific, his tone is beautiful, his pitch is usually flawless and his emotional phrasing is deep.
    I think some of Chris's and Kat's fans will vote for them regardless, but not to the extent of Taylor's fans.

    I do agree about Kat. She does have a lot of trouble, especially the past two weeks. I do think she is better than Taylor overall and has much more range. I think Elliott is really the only one left who has the voice for the 'American Idol'.

  2. #1062
    FORT Regular barbiedolly67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    72
    I have been a lurker more then posting but it is getting down near the end so I just thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in here.

    I just adore Taylor and have loved him from day one. I have seen over the weeks that Taylor has been put on the spot many times and this was not his fault. I can't understand why some people are taking it out on him. I suppose it is because they want to blame someone because they are so upset and since Taylor sang the extra song, that the Chris fans did not like it.

  3. #1063
    Peace MsFroggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Up here in my tree...
    Posts
    15,532
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Two words that best describes Taylor OLD FASHIONED.I just can't imagine seeing Taylor on MTV or VH1.
    Not that either MTV or VH1 care about music per se anymore, but the general sentiment is true. Taylor is not just old fashioned now but he would have been old fashioned by 80s or 90s standards too.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

  4. #1064
    REMAIN INDOORS MotherSister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Not that either MTV or VH1 care about music per se anymore, but the general sentiment is true. Taylor is not just old fashioned now but he would have been old fashioned by 80s or 90s standards too.
    But he sure does have a huge niche to fall into. I'm not a fan of Taylor's style, but there is a huuuge market for his type of rockabilly/jook joint type music all over the southeastern U.S. and maybe in other regions too, but I'm not sure about that. Even if he doesn't win, with the visibility he's gained from this show he has the potential to cash in big time if he markets himself properly. His old-fashionedness could definitely work in his favor if he works it right.

  5. #1065
    Ruben is "Soulful" pillbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,115
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Not that either MTV or VH1 care about music per se anymore, but the general sentiment is true. Taylor is not just old fashioned now but he would have been old fashioned by 80s or 90s standards too.

    Actually, the "Under the Radar" CD that Taylor recorded and the audio clips of his performances pre American Idol have strong contemporary elements--kinda like a Gavin DeGraw. And he sang the contemporary "Trouble" very well on AI. I think he could make a very strong contemporary pop album--if Clive's folks can finally make a great CD with an AI winner. The results have been mixed with the previous winners. Luckily, Taylor has very strong sense of his identity as a singer and could exert a beneficial influence on the production of his next CD.

    Elliott could make a very nice career for himself taking up the Buble, Connick reins.

    Katherine is so inconsistent as a singer, not sure what her singing future entails.

    Chris will find a nice niche with rock.

  6. #1066
    Peace MsFroggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Up here in my tree...
    Posts
    15,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    How much control do you think Taylor has over what happens or doesn't happen on that stage? I'm thinking none. Why on earth blame him because we didn't get to hear Chris' song? They could have taken out one commercial and we could have heard it. They could have not asked Simon who he thought would go. They could have done any number of things to speed things up. Taylor has no more control over what is going on with that show and their agenda than any of the other contestants.
    I'm not blaming Taylor because we didn't get to hear Chris, nowhere did I say that. My post was an obserevation of a couple of things about Taylor and things that seem to go down involving him. He has been pushed front and center a couple of times now and I'm not talking the "normal" pimping that is done. This goes beyond normal pimping, to a concerted effort to push this guy into the public consciousness and establish him in the minds of everyone who didn't buy a clue yet, that he is the frontrunner and will most probably win.

    Everyone seems to say that Taylor should not be held accountable because of what the big bad producers make him do and he's just this innocent little puppet dancing on the string. I disagree. I think he is their best yes man on that stage, and they see his numbers and his fan base, and his apparent eagerness to win and they use him... with his full cooperation. He's not a victim, in other words, but a fully vested participant.

    The producers are now pimping him beyond what I consider digestible at this stage of the competition. It makes me resent Taylor, and I imagine that little thing called backlash will follow eventually. It's practically a law of nature.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

  7. #1067
    FORT Fogey graycat11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by realityINXS View Post
    He did perform better than Kat, but only because she forgot the lyrics. She has much more vocal talent and range than Taylor. The reason Taylor wasn't in the bottom 2 is because his fans will vote for him regardless of how he performs. His performances are meaningless in the amount of votes he receives from his fans. They will vote for him no matter what.
    Can you honestly say she performed well last week when she sang Against All Odds and on the 2nd song this week?

  8. #1068
    FORT Fogey graycat11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Two words that best describes Taylor OLD FASHIONED.I just can't imagine seeing Taylor on MTV or VH1.
    There is nothing wrong with being old fashioned. I'd rather have a man like Taylor rather than some guy with tattoos all over his body, dread locks.

  9. #1069
    Ruben is "Soulful" pillbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,115
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    I'm not blaming Taylor because we didn't get to hear Chris, nowhere did I say that....

    ....Everyone seems to say that Taylor should not be held accountable because of what the big bad producers make him do and he's just this innocent little puppet dancing on the string. I disagree. I think he is their best yes man on that stage, and they see his numbers and his fan base, and his apparent eagerness to win and they use him... with his full cooperation. He's not a victim, in other words, but a fully vested participant.
    First you say that you are not "blaming" Taylor, then you say that he should be held "accountable" cuz he is a "yes" man.

    This is only an amateur talent show, and Taylor and the others are employees of the producers. He's a song-and-dance man following the direction of his boss. And the only thing his boss did was ask him to perform again--something Taylor will NEVER turn down. This is the man who never met a stage he didn't like, and I love him for it.

    AI isn't World War III, and Taylor isn't a CIA hit man (except maybe an RCA hit man, in the Top 40 sense )

  10. #1070
    Rock On, Toby! realityINXS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by graycat11 View Post
    Can you honestly say she performed well last week when she sang Against All Odds and on the 2nd song this week?
    I'm not saying she performed those songs well. I think she sang them quite poorly. I'm not saying I'm a Kat fan. But at least she doesn't have horrible dance moves and spaz out all over the stage like Taylor does. I really don't think Taylor or Kat should win American Idol. But I think Kat is still a better performer than Taylor.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 04-12-2007, 09:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.