+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Katharine McPhee - Season 5

Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister View Post
    She did have some pretty bad notes, mostly at the beginning. And she struggled with the high notes at the bridge. She didn't deserve all the harshness that rained down on her, though.

Singing Whitney (or Celine, or Mariah) on Idol is ridiculous. Even if people don't think it's fair, the judges have them up on an untouchable pop goddess pedestal. Their voices must always be identified with their songs; that's why professional artists usually don't cover them, because the originals are memorable to such a degree. Lots of people have successfully covered Barbra songs; she doesn't inspire the same expectation. So I can see why, for the judges, singing a Whitney song is tantamount to trying to reach that pedestal.

Kath fell short because her pipes aren't powerful enough to belt while sustaining the tone and pitch in her high register. She couldn't make it over those high notes, so her performance really suffered. There's no shame in having a lovely voice with minimal power; she should have chosen a song more appropriate for showcasing her strengths instead of her weakness.
    Not only did the judges apologized Kat for their "unwarrented" critiques but Idol was called on the comments (and Paula's emotional outbreak) today by MANY media personalities. You know, people who actually have been in the business. But what do they know.

The judges were way to harsh, & apparantely the public let them (Fox) know about it. And also voted for Kat like mad. So she was in the Top 2 & Simon appologizes to save face. I'm still astonished at the ignorance displayed by these 3 idiots.

So if you go to AOL.coms TV section and look at the top five clips from yesterday, they apparently include Rosanne (Barr, or whatever her name is now) on Ellen Degeneris' show. The two of them discuss the fact that the current rumor mill says that Katherine is (gulp) a Scientologist.

Seriously? Or is this just two idiots making a joke. If it's true I have a huge "eeep!" waiting in my stomach...

Although the rights have been cleared for AOL to air this, rather than risk a direct link here to the clip and confuse site rules here (although it's certainly a legal and cleared clip for AOL if not necessarily for THIS site), instead here's a link to the overall page for the AOL TV Top 5 :

http://television.aol.com/franchise/top5.adp

If you see a little picture of Roseanne and the date is April 27, the clip will likely still be accessible. After that? Who knows.

Also just found: Article from The Star: http://www.starmagazine.com/news/61961 The article claims there's evidence she is, and other evidence she's not. So... no conclusion.
    Last edited by Krom; 04-27-2006 at 09:03 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Swan Song View Post
    Not only did the judges apologized Kat for their "unwarrented" critiques but Idol was called on the comments (and Paula's emotional outbreak) today by MANY media personalities. You know, people who actually have been in the business. But what do they know.
    They apologized for the ridiculous harshness of their critiques (which I took as a cop-out to avoid a huge backlash against the show), but none of them did a 180 and said that Kath was absolutely perfect. She wasn't. I think the apology was more for the Whitney Houston foolishness than for any other criticism they gave. Notice Paula, the only one who didn't bring up Whitney, is also the only one who didn't offer an apology.

My criticism of her performance on Tuesday is still the same. Believe me, I have watched and listened to her performance (on the way to Elliott's) a number of times. I don't care which media personalities have come out to say what about her. I trust my ears, and my sense of objectivity, more than theirs.
    Last edited by MotherSister; 04-27-2006 at 09:39 AM.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Simon called it "a good performance". That's about as good as you'll get from him. It was definitely an "oops, we got that one completely wrong" moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Simon called it "a good performance". That's about as good as you'll get from him. It was definitely an "oops, we got that one completely wrong" moment.
    Simon has said nicer things than "good performance" before. He's said nicer things than that to Kath before. It is praise, but it's not a rave review. I don't think Simon or Randy apologized because they changed their minds about her performance; I think they regretted being so hard on her and relatively easy on others, and I know they regretted hearing complaints about it. I think Simon was being a very clever man on Tuesday and Wednesday. But obviously, I have my own opinion on Simon's machinations and manipulations and how he goes about them, and everyone else will have a different opinion. That's part of what makes this show so successful, the many, many opportunities to speculate, and the certainty of never knowing if you're right.

I`m sure they had their "critiques" already layed out before Katharine even sang.
    How else would one try to explain the totally wrong but unison tenor of their remarks.
    For me it`s another example of a cheap AI stunt being caught.

It`s no secret that the supposed "highlight" of the show is saved for last.
    So i would assume who ever comes first must be.....
    Just like Chris is the only one to get extra musicians on stage to dress up his performance.
    Whats the deal with that ?

Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister View Post
    They apologized for the ridiculous harshness of their critiques (which I took as a cop-out to avoid a huge backlash against the show), but none of them did a 180 and said that Kath was absolutely perfect. She wasn't. I think the apology was more for the Whitney Houston foolishness than for any other criticism they gave. Notice Paula, the only one who didn't bring up Whitney, is also the only one who didn't offer an apology.

My criticism of her performance on Tuesday is still the same. Believe me, I have watched and listened to her performance (on the way to Elliott's) a number of times. I don't care which media personalities have come out to say what about her. I trust my ears, and my sense of objectivity, more than theirs.

no contestant had a "perfect performance"....and my appreciation is the same to ..we all have our prefrences no one in more valid than the other. For Simon to retrack "anything" is a huge statement regardles of how contrived.
    The problem was and always will be the comparison to Whitney...no contestant should be expected to exceed the quality of a remixed, studio recording EVER. The biggest criticsm may have come from David Foster himself..it was HIS song not Whitney's.
    Last edited by cabernetCally; 04-27-2006 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    The two of them discuss the fact that the current rumor mill says that Katherine is (gulp) a Scientologist.

Seriously? Or is this just two idiots making a joke. If it's true I have a huge "eeep!" waiting in my stomach...
    Why would it matter? Does it change her ability to sing? Does it matter that Carmen is a Morman? Does it matter if Cllay is gay or not? Does it matter if Mandissa is overweight? Does it matter if Kellie Pickler is from the south? This show should be about singing ability, not their personal beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    Why would it matter? Does it change her ability to sing? Does it matter that Carmen is a Morman? Does it matter if Cllay is gay or not? Does it matter if Mandissa is overweight? Does it matter if Kellie Pickler is from the south? This show should be about singing ability, not their personal beliefs.
    Alot of Southern California celebrities has dabbled in Scientology and abandoned it later IF she did so what. She can be what she wants to be as an adult. When she starts jumping on couches and kidnapping men for their baby making material or lecturing others on drugs and trying to convert others ..then and only then I will have an opinion on it.
    Last edited by cabernetCally; 04-27-2006 at 10:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread