+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 145 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 1446
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Katharine McPhee - Season 5

  1. #501
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    46
    Posts
    650

    What are people hearing?

    Honestly, I really liked Katherine last night. She sang just
    fine.

    Am I the only one who finds it hysterical when Paula critiques somebody like Kat, who could outsing Paula any day of the week. Why is Paula even a judge?

    Kat was at least 2nd best last night, behind Paris. Chris was only 3rd of 4th.

    What a scam.

  2. #502
    FORT Fogey Misty8723's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3,412
    Quote Originally Posted by TLynnMartin View Post
    Honestly, I really liked Katherine last night. She sang just
    fine.
    Kat was at least 2nd best last night, behind Paris. Chris was only 3rd of 4th.

    What a scam.
    I have to say that Katharine is the only one who made me cringe with some of those notes she hit. I think they were generous with their comments to her.

  3. #503
    REMAIN INDOORS MotherSister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,845
    She did have some pretty bad notes, mostly at the beginning. And she struggled with the high notes at the bridge. She didn't deserve all the harshness that rained down on her, though.

    Singing Whitney (or Celine, or Mariah) on Idol is ridiculous. Even if people don't think it's fair, the judges have them up on an untouchable pop goddess pedestal. Their voices must always be identified with their songs; that's why professional artists usually don't cover them, because the originals are memorable to such a degree. Lots of people have successfully covered Barbra songs; she doesn't inspire the same expectation. So I can see why, for the judges, singing a Whitney song is tantamount to trying to reach that pedestal.

    Kath fell short because her pipes aren't powerful enough to belt while sustaining the tone and pitch in her high register. She couldn't make it over those high notes, so her performance really suffered. There's no shame in having a lovely voice with minimal power; she should have chosen a song more appropriate for showcasing her strengths instead of her weakness.

  4. #504
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister View Post
    She did have some pretty bad notes, mostly at the beginning. And she struggled with the high notes at the bridge. She didn't deserve all the harshness that rained down on her, though.

    Singing Whitney (or Celine, or Mariah) on Idol is ridiculous. Even if people don't think it's fair, the judges have them up on an untouchable pop goddess pedestal. Their voices must always be identified with their songs; that's why professional artists usually don't cover them, because the originals are memorable to such a degree. Lots of people have successfully covered Barbra songs; she doesn't inspire the same expectation. So I can see why, for the judges, singing a Whitney song is tantamount to trying to reach that pedestal.

    Kath fell short because her pipes aren't powerful enough to belt while sustaining the tone and pitch in her high register. She couldn't make it over those high notes, so her performance really suffered. There's no shame in having a lovely voice with minimal power; she should have chosen a song more appropriate for showcasing her strengths instead of her weakness.

    Totally agree. When I read the spoiler that she was going to do this song, I knew she was going to be in trouble. I can't believe I'm saying this, but PAULA's comments to her were absolutely right on. Her sweet spot is jazzy, sultry songs which require a subtle voice. No doubt about it...the song was too big for her. I watched her performance over again and I thought it almost bordered on horrible. She couldn't hit any of the high and low notes and had problems keeping up with the chord changes. If you listen to her performance, it is VERY obvious what the limits of her range are.

  5. #505
    wanna check you for ticks SecondBase's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    375
    i will admit she did well... for katharine. but the thing is, if i heard that performance on a live cd, i'd skip past it and think "what the hell is this girl thinking?!". it was terribly mediocre and even paris's old-fashioned rendition of a babs song was better than hers. i almost liked kellie more than katharine. bottom three for sure

  6. #506
    FORT Fogey Tigerusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,438
    I going to break the string of very wrong and bad taste posts, just kidding guys, by saying that I thought she was fantastic and I didn't hear any of the bad notes you guys are talking about I just heard her singing that song and tearing it up (in the good sense). I know I'm not trained to hear bad notes but I know what I like to hear and I wasn't disappointed once during the entire song.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

  7. #507
    FORT Fogey cabernetCally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty View Post
    I going to break the string of very wrong and bad taste posts, just kidding guys, by saying that I thought she was fantastic and I didn't hear any of the bad notes you guys are talking about I just heard her singing that song and tearing it up (in the good sense). I know I'm not trained to hear bad notes but I know what I like to hear and I wasn't disappointed once during the entire song.
    I'm with your tigerrusty........it is almost like they put her on a pedestal last week so they could knock her off this week?????

  8. #508
    Gator Chompin' Ancient City's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA's Oldest City
    Posts
    472
    I am not a huge Kat fan - having said that, I had her performance last night rated her best ever. I enjoy her most when she stands at the mic and belts it out. This BS of the judges saying you can't sing a song by _________ (insert famous artist here) without bringing on a comparison is so bogus. 99% of the songs performed are well-known. Rate the idol's performance on pitch and quality, enjoyment factor, memorability, etc., not on how it compares or manages to distance itself from the original.
    Down where the old Gators play. . .

  9. #509
    REMAIN INDOORS MotherSister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient City View Post
    This BS of the judges saying you can't sing a song by _________ (insert famous artist here) without bringing on a comparison is so bogus. 99% of the songs performed are well-known.
    There's a difference between a song being well-known and a song being a signature of some other artist. "I Have Nothing" will always have Whitney's face on it, in part because she performs it so gorgeously, and in part because of how big a star Whitney was when she recorded it, and how much more her name skyrocketed because of it. That doesn't mean no one else can ever sing it, but they should be ready for comparisons if they ever try.

  10. #510
    FORT Fan FeralFeeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister View Post
    There's a difference between a song being well-known and a song being a signature of some other artist. "I Have Nothing" will always have Whitney's face on it, in part because she performs it so gorgeously, and in part because of how big a star Whitney was when she recorded it, and how much more her name skyrocketed because of it. That doesn't mean no one else can ever sing it, but they should be ready for comparisons if they ever try.
    Excellent way of describing it.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.