+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 145 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Katharine McPhee - Season 5

FORT Fanatic

What are people hearing?

Honestly, I really liked Katherine last night. She sang just
    fine.

Am I the only one who finds it hysterical when Paula critiques somebody like Kat, who could outsing Paula any day of the week. Why is Paula even a judge?

Kat was at least 2nd best last night, behind Paris. Chris was only 3rd of 4th.

What a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by TLynnMartin View Post
    Honestly, I really liked Katherine last night. She sang just
    fine.
    Kat was at least 2nd best last night, behind Paris. Chris was only 3rd of 4th.

What a scam.
    I have to say that Katharine is the only one who made me cringe with some of those notes she hit. I think they were generous with their comments to her.

She did have some pretty bad notes, mostly at the beginning. And she struggled with the high notes at the bridge. She didn't deserve all the harshness that rained down on her, though.

Singing Whitney (or Celine, or Mariah) on Idol is ridiculous. Even if people don't think it's fair, the judges have them up on an untouchable pop goddess pedestal. Their voices must always be identified with their songs; that's why professional artists usually don't cover them, because the originals are memorable to such a degree. Lots of people have successfully covered Barbra songs; she doesn't inspire the same expectation. So I can see why, for the judges, singing a Whitney song is tantamount to trying to reach that pedestal.

Kath fell short because her pipes aren't powerful enough to belt while sustaining the tone and pitch in her high register. She couldn't make it over those high notes, so her performance really suffered. There's no shame in having a lovely voice with minimal power; she should have chosen a song more appropriate for showcasing her strengths instead of her weakness.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister View Post
    She did have some pretty bad notes, mostly at the beginning. And she struggled with the high notes at the bridge. She didn't deserve all the harshness that rained down on her, though.

Singing Whitney (or Celine, or Mariah) on Idol is ridiculous. Even if people don't think it's fair, the judges have them up on an untouchable pop goddess pedestal. Their voices must always be identified with their songs; that's why professional artists usually don't cover them, because the originals are memorable to such a degree. Lots of people have successfully covered Barbra songs; she doesn't inspire the same expectation. So I can see why, for the judges, singing a Whitney song is tantamount to trying to reach that pedestal.

Kath fell short because her pipes aren't powerful enough to belt while sustaining the tone and pitch in her high register. She couldn't make it over those high notes, so her performance really suffered. There's no shame in having a lovely voice with minimal power; she should have chosen a song more appropriate for showcasing her strengths instead of her weakness.

Totally agree. When I read the spoiler that she was going to do this song, I knew she was going to be in trouble. I can't believe I'm saying this, but PAULA's comments to her were absolutely right on. Her sweet spot is jazzy, sultry songs which require a subtle voice. No doubt about it...the song was too big for her. I watched her performance over again and I thought it almost bordered on horrible. She couldn't hit any of the high and low notes and had problems keeping up with the chord changes. If you listen to her performance, it is VERY obvious what the limits of her range are.

wanna check you for ticks SecondBase's Avatar
    i will admit she did well... for katharine. but the thing is, if i heard that performance on a live cd, i'd skip past it and think "what the hell is this girl thinking?!". it was terribly mediocre and even paris's old-fashioned rendition of a babs song was better than hers. i almost liked kellie more than katharine. bottom three for sure

I going to break the string of very wrong and bad taste posts, just kidding guys, by saying that I thought she was fantastic and I didn't hear any of the bad notes you guys are talking about I just heard her singing that song and tearing it up (in the good sense). I know I'm not trained to hear bad notes but I know what I like to hear and I wasn't disappointed once during the entire song.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty View Post
    I going to break the string of very wrong and bad taste posts, just kidding guys, by saying that I thought she was fantastic and I didn't hear any of the bad notes you guys are talking about I just heard her singing that song and tearing it up (in the good sense). I know I'm not trained to hear bad notes but I know what I like to hear and I wasn't disappointed once during the entire song.
    I'm with your tigerrusty........it is almost like they put her on a pedestal last week so they could knock her off this week?????

I am not a huge Kat fan - having said that, I had her performance last night rated her best ever. I enjoy her most when she stands at the mic and belts it out. This BS of the judges saying you can't sing a song by _________ (insert famous artist here) without bringing on a comparison is so bogus. 99% of the songs performed are well-known. Rate the idol's performance on pitch and quality, enjoyment factor, memorability, etc., not on how it compares or manages to distance itself from the original.
    Down where the old Gators play. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient City View Post
    This BS of the judges saying you can't sing a song by _________ (insert famous artist here) without bringing on a comparison is so bogus. 99% of the songs performed are well-known.
    There's a difference between a song being well-known and a song being a signature of some other artist. "I Have Nothing" will always have Whitney's face on it, in part because she performs it so gorgeously, and in part because of how big a star Whitney was when she recorded it, and how much more her name skyrocketed because of it. That doesn't mean no one else can ever sing it, but they should be ready for comparisons if they ever try.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister View Post
    There's a difference between a song being well-known and a song being a signature of some other artist. "I Have Nothing" will always have Whitney's face on it, in part because she performs it so gorgeously, and in part because of how big a star Whitney was when she recorded it, and how much more her name skyrocketed because of it. That doesn't mean no one else can ever sing it, but they should be ready for comparisons if they ever try.
    Excellent way of describing it.

+ Reply to Thread