+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paula's Secret Battle Article

Is Enbrel considered a NSAID? If it is, I fear it could fall the way of the others that have been pulled.

http://www.psoriasis.org/research/biologics/enbrel.php

"Rare cases of multiple sclerosis and other central nervous system disorders have been observed in association with Enbrel and medications that target TNF-alpha, although the connection between the disorders and the medications remains unclear"

O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz
    I'm not surprised -- I'm sure they were specifically asked about the drug's potential psychological effects by whoever was researching for the article.
    I just meant it was funny in relation to Paula's use of the drug - like the drug company was saying "Hey, don't blame us for the way she acts."

FORT Newbie
    I like her loopiness. You people are too "normal"

i don't buy it. i mean, i totally believe that she had accidents and surgeries and was living in chronic pain. and i believe that she is now taking a new drug that is helping her with the pain. BUT i don't think that explains her behavior on this season's idol.

""Rare cases of multiple sclerosis and other central nervous system disorders have been observed in association with Enbrel and medications that target TNF-alpha, although the connection between the disorders and the medications remains unclear"

This just says that people with multiple sclerosis or nervous system disorders should not be taking the drug.

PRECAUTIONS:
    Tell your doctor your medical history, including: decreased bone marrow function, history of cancer (e.g., lymphoma), seizures, active or reoccurring infections, diabetes, certain brain/spinal cord disorders (demyelinating disorders such as multiple sclerosis), blood disorders, heart disease (e.g., heart failure), allergies.
    Last edited by cabernetCally; 04-21-2005 at 05:41 PM.

Good for Paula for just having fun and being happy. I also feel bad for Paula and like her. She's not the best musical critic, but I don't think that's the point of her being there anymore, I think she does add some sweetness to the judging panel and helps make the contestants feel better.That way, the contestants get a taste of everything. If you think about it, that's probably the more realistic view of the entertainment industry. Not everyone is harsh like Simon, there are always going to be people (like fellow celebs) who will be the cheerleaders. I think she represents that group. I'm glad that she spoke up and cleared things up and talked about it. It couldn't have been easy. You go girl, your heart's in the right place and that's all that matters. Don't listen to the cynics.
    A recent survey stated that the average person's greatest fear is having to give a speech in public. Somehow this ranked even higher than death which was third on the list. So, you're telling me that at a funeral, most people would rather be the guy in the coffin than have to stand up and give a eulogy.
    -- Jerry Seinfield

Quote Originally Posted by cabernetCally
    ""Rare cases of multiple sclerosis and other central nervous system disorders have been observed in association with Enbrel and medications that target TNF-alpha, although the connection between the disorders and the medications remains unclear"

This just says that people with multiple sclerosis or nervous system disorders should not be taking the drug.

PRECAUTIONS:
    Tell your doctor your medical history, including: decreased bone marrow function, history of cancer (e.g., lymphoma), seizures, active or reoccurring infections, diabetes, certain brain/spinal cord disorders (demyelinating disorders such as multiple sclerosis), blood disorders, heart disease (e.g., heart failure), allergies.
    Thank you CabernetCally for providing this additional information. It does seem confusing as to whether Paula should be taking this drug or not. It is up to her doctor whom she seems to trust! She seems very close to Ryan; too bad she couldn't have shared this information with him or with one of the producers!

I don't like to be mean-spirited because I do wish Paula the best and hope this is a good move on her part. She has enlightened many with providing information about her disease. Hopefully, she will give some thought to ways she can enhanse her judging skills as has been mentioned here and elsewhere! Positive vibes for Paula!

Oldsters (???), remember the big debate about Annette Funicello? The tabloids were questioning whether she had a drinking problem because of her stumbling and slurring of words. She came out and finally talked about her MS. Celebrities do have the power to inform the public!

Oldsters (???), remember the big debate about Annette Funicello? The tabloids were questioning whether she had a drinking problem because of her stumbling and slurring of words. She came out and finally talked about her MS. Celebrities do have the power to inform the public!
    Good point. I also remember people questioning whether Dudley Moore had a drinking problem, and he turned out to have a rare brain disease. (ETA: I looked it up: progressive supranuclear palsy).
    Last edited by clay crazy; 04-22-2005 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cabernetCally

PRECAUTIONS:

Uh, no it doesn't. It says there are 2 observations - people who take enbrel also sometimes end up with said nerological disorder, but no conclusive cause-and-effect research linking these 2 observation. The language is very clear and explicit.
    Last edited by bla-sed; 04-22-2005 at 09:51 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast