+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 430 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869707172737475767778118168 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres
    There are an awful lot of musical artists who have little or no stage presence, and many who DO just stand and sing.
    Steven Stills never once acknowledged the audience during the whole show when I saw him. Carly Simon had such a fear of performing that she wouldn't tour for years. I never saw them but from what I understand The Cars were awful as a live act.There are many examples of great singers that aren't great performers. Carrie will have the opportunity to learn once this show is over.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    Steven Stills never once acknowledged the audience during the whole show when I saw him. Carly Simon had such a fear of performing that she wouldn't tour for years. I never saw them but from what I understand The Cars were awful as a live act.There are many examples of great singers that aren't great performers. Carrie will have the opportunity to learn once this show is over.
    I saw The Cars live several years ago and I thought it was cool that they didn't really acknowledge the audience and barely talked at all. The whole "Hello Cleveland, WE LOVE YOU!!" thing is tiresome, anyway. What The Cars did was go all out playing their music, and they were great.

My issue with Carrie isn't that she just stands and sings, it's that she just doesn't seem to be connected to the song she's singing. She always seems to be holding something back. I don't care if she dances around like Michael Jackson (though that would be interesting) or just stands there. This is a matter of putting all you've got into a song, and Carrie doesn't really do that.

I mean this as constructive criticism more than just knocking her for the sake of knocking her. Carrie is a natural singer, but not a natural performer. I agree that she can improve, but she's still got a ways to go, IMO. I'm sure there are people she can work with who can help her with this.

FORT Fanatic
    I've seen The Cars, and while they're far from awful live, they can come off as cold and robotic. I saw the Moody Blues once as well, and they won't win any awards for congeniality either. Bob Dylan mumbles in his own private language between songs, and no one, but no one, has a worse stage presence than Tracy Chapman. But they are all fine artists.

The last thing a record company exec worries about is stage presence. Tests #1 and 1A are "Can you sing?" and "Will you look good on a magazine cover?" Carrie passes both tests easily. In fact, I think the reason Simon is so ga-ga over her is precisely her unassuming, vanilla personality. She's like pottery clay, the musical equivalent of Sydney Bristow: she can be anything or anyone her boss asks her to be. Couple that with a pretty face and arguably the best voice in the four-year history of AI and I can understand why Simon's eyeballs turn into dollar signs when she's on stage. I wish he wasn't so overbearing about it, though.

Uh-huh..yeah..riiiight... Warhol's Avatar
    Stills, Simon, et al, are artists/songwriters first and performers second. Thus, their primary focus is the song, not its performance for an audience. AI contestants, on the other hand, are competing explicitly and exclusively on the basis of performance -- not art or songwriting. So the comparison doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Gentlemen perfer blondes Bubba's_Bubbles's Avatar
    I got a quick question that has been bugging me for months?

WHy does everyone say she has the best voice in idol history,

I know there are probbaly a lot of carrie fans but, i have not liked any of her performances beside alone. No offense but i think her voice is #2 and her performances(stage presence ect...) is about #100,000 (they are that bad).

I tottaly disagree with best in idol history statement. I actually though Jennifer hudson, if not leaving unexpectantly early, would have grown enough to win a large audience and eventually win. I don't think carrie can even compare. Not to mention Kelly and Clay are better (Ruben is great but i think he is not that great overall).

I have had idol fever lately and all my friends that are carrie fans have been extremly defensive when i even mention that i prefer another contestant over her.

So can someone explain why you like her besides voice or oddly stage presence.

Well, she isn't really the best vocally of all 4 seasons( Kelly and Clay would get that title), However, I think she has the best vocals THIS season.
    By best vocals I mean, a voice that appeals to a large audience, a strong consistant voice, and a flexible voice, capable of different styles of music. To me, Carrie fits all of these.

Plus she seems like an all around sweet person

wanna check you for ticks SecondBase's Avatar
    it all comes down to personal preference. i don't think she has the best voice in idol history.... far from, actually. but i do think she is the top contestant this season (though not my favorite). i've agreed with the winner of every season and if carrie wins this year, that won't change. i think idol viewers this year want something different. we've had a pop diva (kelly), a soulful r&b teddy bear (ruuuuuuben) and a spunky gospel/r&b female ('tasia). this year will be something different. it's the first time we've had a good country singer on the show and the country fans finally have someone to vote for who's actually worth spending the time dialing! as a fan of country music (and can i please say that almost NONE of them have any sort of stage presence? because it's true), i can truly say that her voice is something special.

and while i don't think she's the best idol singer of all time, i do think she'll take the cake this season.
    Praise seitan!

I went to a John Denver concert back in the '70's and was definately NOT a fan. He sat on a stage in the middle of the Lake Charles Civic Center to a PACKED house. He totally put on a 'performance' that night and never got off his stool! Everyone was blown away with what a great show it was, just one song after another in a truly great voice. He didn't seem to care much about the audience, just the music--- and because he had such talent, no one in the audience seemed to miss him not putting on a "show". I was young and used to rock concerts.... but I have to admit, I left that night a John Denver fan. He was much better in person than on records.

A few years later I saw the Rolling Stones and ol' Mick really worked that stage and put on quite a show. But I can't IMAGINE being able to sit thru 2 hrs of Mick on a stool singing his heart out....and leaving thinking "Wow I'm glad I didn't miss [/I]that!
    Some people
    have[I] to put on a show and some people PUT on a show. I think Clay could definately do great just singing, and probably Carrie,too. But Bo... I don't know... he needs to work the crowd some,too.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondBase
    the country fans finally have someone to vote for who's actually worth spending the time dialing! as a fan of country music (and can i please say that almost NONE of them have any sort of stage presence? because it's true)
    Ummm...not to argue with you but...Garth Brooks definitely has stage presence...Big & Rich...Gretchen Wilson....Kenny Chesney....Shania Twain....Reba McIntyre....Tim McGraw....Trace Adkins....Keith Urban....seem 'em all and they all definitely have stage presence....rip roaring up and down the stage, putting on productions...people I would definitely not have a problem spending $50 for a ticket....I'm a big fan of Alan Jackson, George Strait, Vince Gill and others but I wouldn't pay big bucks to see them because they don't "entertain" me...they sing good songs and have great sing-a-longs but don't get my adrenaline jumping........JMO, of course.......back to the AI subject material........
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fanatic
    i thought this was just funny. someone mentioned that they wanted heavy metal as a theme just to see how carrie would do. she just might pull it off (i know listening to a genre doesn't mean she can pull it off...but at least she know this music exists).

Holly Paulsboe, Underwood's sorority sister at Sigma Sigma Sigma at Northeastern State University, said Underwood was a dedicated member and a good student who also has an eclectic taste in music.

"Some people think she's strictly country, but there are other genres she likes," Paulsboe said. "She listens to heavy metal too."

here's the link to the whole article
    http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20050509/111568248000.html

+ Reply to Thread