+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Re: Carrie Underwood

This is a backstage photo from the Stand Up To Cancer show last night. How would you like to have their bank accounts to your credit. Not even in the photo, Natasha Beddingfield, Fergie, Cheryl Crow & LeAnn Rimes.

CMA Nominations were just announced. Carris has been nominated for Album of the Year & Female Vocalist of the Year. Congrats & good luck Carrie.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Congrats to her...now when is she going to be nominated for Entertainer of the Year???!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Isn't that an "Old Boys Club"?

Nice article on Carrie from Denver.

On every song, Underwood out to prove herself - The Denver Post

On every song, Underwood out to prove herself
    By John Wenzel
    The Denver Post

One of the brightest musicians of the last three years has been country-pop superstar Carrie Underwood. (Kevin Winter, Getty Images)The music industry has had little to celebrate lately, faced with declining revenues, illegal file sharing and general irrelevance.

But beacons exist, and one of the brightest of the past three years has been country-pop superstar Carrie Underwood. Bucking the trend of most musicians, Underwood's CD sales and awards have rolled in with the regularity of the gulf tide. More important, her wholesome image has connected with people in a genuine way, providing an antidote to the slick, forced personas of most would-be pop stars.

"Right after I came off 'American Idol' I used every single opportunity that I could to prove myself," said Underwood, who plays the Pepsi Center on Tuesday as part of the star-studded Congressional Medal of Honor Society's convention. "I consider every vocal performance and every award show the same way."

The winner of the fourth season of "American Idol" and the show's first overtly country singer, Underwood has set a number of records approached only by fellow alumna Kelly Clarkson. Her 2005 debut, "Some Hearts," has moved more than 7 million units — the best-selling album by an "American Idol" contestant, and the best-selling debut by a solo female artist in country music history.

Critics may charge that her songs appeal to a demographic that likes its entertainment with a spoonful of corn syrup. But a glance at her background reveals the integrity and intelligence behind her decisions.

After winning "Idol," the Oklahoma native made a point to finish her college journalism degree. Add to that her USO tours in Iraq and her cozy relationship with PETA (she's been a vegetarian since age 13), and a more complex portrait of Underwood emerges.

"You might hate me. You might not like the songs that I choose," she said. "But hopefully you're going to be able to say, 'OK, she's trying really hard. She's giving it all she's got.' "

Trying — and succeeding. It came as no surprise on Wednesday when the Country Music Association again nominated Underwood for multiple awards, including Best Female Vocalist and Album of the Year. At the ripe old age of 25, Underwood already counts various CMA trophies, Grammys and People's Choice awards among her achievements.

"I don't think there's any one thing that I'm reaching for," Underwood said. "I'm just kind of going with it. I've gotten so lucky thus far so I'd feel guilty wanting more."

Despite that aw-shucks proclamation, Underwood also admitted she's interested in expanding her focus in the future.

"There are so may avenues open to artists now that want something to do to break up the monotony," she said. "It's not monotonous for me now, but you can look into television avenues and Broadway, or you can find new talent to produce."

Underwood also has the good sense to take others' advice when it's needed.

"I would love to spend more time songwriting," she said, referring to the increasing creative presence on her most recent album, "Carnival Ride." "But I'm not one of those artists that says my songs must be on my album. If they're good enough they'll be on there, and if they're not, they're not.

"I need constant reassurance (that) what I'm doing is good. Ultimately things are my decision, but you also need people that are in touch with the outside world. I live in a bubble, as much as I fight it. And I feel like the more I have others' opinions around me, the more things will be all right."

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;3196601;
    Isn't that an "Old Boys Club"?
    Year Entertainer of the Year
    2007 Kenny Chesney
    2006 Kenny Chesney
    2005 Keith Urban
    2004 Kenny Chesney
    2003 Alan Jackson
    2002 Alan Jackson
    2001 Tim McGraw
    2000 Dixie Chicks
    1999 Shania Twain
    1998 Garth Brooks
    1997 Garth Brooks
    1996 Brooks & Dunn
    1995 Alan Jackson
    1994 Vince Gill
    1993 Vince Gill
    1992 Garth Brooks
    1991 Garth Brooks
    1990 George Strait
    1989 George Strait
    1988 Hank Williams, Jr.
    1987 Hank Williams, Jr.
    1986 Reba McEntire
    1985 Ricky Skaggs
    1984 Alabama
    1983 Alabama
    1982 Alabama
    1981 Barbara Mandrell
    1980 Barbara Mandrell

1979 Willie Nelson
    1978 Dolly Parton
    1977 Ronnie Milsap
    1976 Mel Tillis
    1975 John Denver
    1974 Charlie Rich
    1973 Roy Clark
    1972 Loretta Lynn
    1971 Charley Pride
    1970 Merle Haggard
    1969 Johnny Cash
    1968 Glen Campbell
    1967 Eddy Arnold

Link Here

Yep, it is....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Evidently Country Universe agrees with ya’ll.

Country Universe

Discussion: CMA Nominations-Missing Persons Report
    Posted by Blake Boldt under Discussion
    [20] Comments
    With great perception, the Country Music Association made a fair number of strong choices for the 42nd annual awards on November 12. But what award show would be complete without complaints about who was, and was not, nominated?

Although my views on the ballot are more negative than in past years, I noted the bright spot of Miranda Lambert’s Single of the Year nods last night, and congratulate artists like Sugarland, Josh Turner and Trace Adkins who combined critical acclaim with sales success in just the right blend to snag nominations.

But I’m deeply hurt by a number of exclusions. Gary Allan and Dierks Bentley would’ve fit perfectly in the Male Vocalist category. Leann Rimes’ video “Nothin’ Better to Do” was an intelligent, unique piece that warranted at least a nomination. “Good Time” instead of “Small Town Southern Man”? And by gosh, Carrie Underwood was placed in the wrong category-Album instead of Entertainer.
    But the one that keeps me awake at night is the absence of Trisha Yearwood from the Female Vocalist of the Year race. In a frigid radio environment, she still managed three Top 25 singles, including the Vocal Event-nominated “Another Try”. Her album was heralded as one of the best in the genre by multiple country music experts. And she maintained exposure by releasing a cookbook, touring occasionally (even with Garth) and acting as one of the most eloquent ambassadors ever in country music. Oh, and she co-hosted The View. Although the lack of a nomination will not truly influence her Hall of Fame-ready career, it would’ve been richly deserving and recognition for another fine year.

So folks, who was robbed?

Not much I can add to this.

Carrie is center stage at the Ryder Cup tonight.

Celebrities Expected In Town For Ryder Cup Experience - 2008 Ryder Cup and The Cup Experience News Story - WLKY Louisville

Celebrities Expected In Town For Ryder Cup Experience

POSTED: 5:04 pm EDT September 9, 2008
    UPDATED: 12:28 pm EDT September 11, 2008

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- People from all over the world will be in Louisville for the Ryder Cup next week.

Watch The Story

Many will be here for the golf, but some, including celebrities, will be here for the bigger "cup experience."

With names like Carrie Underwood, Michelle Branch, Muhammad Ali and possibly Michael Jordan attending, the Ryder Cup is guaranteed to be a who's who of the sports and entertainment worlds.

"Besides Michael Jordan, we've heard Mario Lemieux, Megan Fox the actor, Brian Austin Green the actor, tons of NFL and NBA players," said Prime Lounge owner Joey Wagner.

Celebrities who have been to the Kentucky Derby in years past know Louisville knows how to throw a party.

"The Cup Experience Festival is a mini, mini, mini version of the Kentucky Derby Festival, but there's lots to do and something for everybody," Wagner said.

The cup experience is for locals and visitors alike. The festivities will have a red-carpet kick-off at a PGA gala at the Kentucky Center next Wednesday, and will feature a performance by Underwood.

On the same night, Ali and Mayor Jerry Abramson will welcome international visitors to town at the Ali Center.

And throughout the week, Fourth Street Live will host a series of concerts.

"For country music fans, we have Randy Houser and the headline is Phil Vassar," said Cup Experience Executive Director Karl Schmitt. "For the oldsters, such as myself, on Thursday night we'll have Three Dog Night."

Next Friday, the Soiree Under the Spires will attract more than 1,200 guests to Churchill Downs, including PGA players, celebrities, entertainers and dignitaries.

"We've heard tons of celebrities are coming in town, but it's just like Derby," Wagner said. "I'll kind of believe it when I see it."

Wagner has hosted several celebrity Derby parties in the past and is planning the same for Ryder Cup -- an event that's only four days away, and counting.

"With that buzz around town for Ryder Cup, we want to create a really cool environment that when you walk in and you walk out, you can't wait to come back," he said.

The Brits, love em or just tolerate em, one thing you have to admit, they have opinions. They are blogging from the Ryder Cup & have some great things to say about Carrie.

Mail Online - Derek Lawrenson

Bring on the first tee shot - it can't be more excruciating than the Ryder Cup's 'Gala Dinner'
    EIGHTY or so years have now passed since American Walter Hagen (right), the great bon vivant of the 1920s, urged his fellow pros:'Don't forget to smell the flowers along the way.'

It was a call to enjoy all the good things that go with such a privileged life, of course, rather than just what happens between the fairways.

Alas Walter, what on earth would he make of his modern contemporaries? To judge by those on Ryder Cup duty this week, they have not so much forgotten to smell the flowers as pass them by without a backward glance.

Witness this year's Gala Dinner, for example, hitherto the great social occasion of Ryder Cup week. This one, held last evening, was a shambles, rescued only by the sweet voice of Carrie Underwood, the evening's entertainment. I confess I'd never heard of the former American Idol winner, but thank God for Carrie. She was about as near as the evening got to a dose of sincerity.

What do you expect from a Gala Dinner? A good sit-down meal, perhaps, among the company of friends? That's what happened at all the previous ones I had been fortunate enough to attend.

Not this one. You might have heard that the American players don't like to attend dinners. They can't be expected to sit for a couple of hours, enjoy their surroundings, and behave like normal people. Heavens above, some folks might approach them and ask them for an autograph. How bad would that be? Akin to slavery, as Hunter Mahan might say.

So while the players stayed behind at their hotel we squeezed in a buffet instead, a glorified version of what you might get at a motorway caff.

Then we were ushered into a theatre, where the ghost of Samuel Ryder appeared as a hologram to tell the history of the event. Yes, it was every bit as toe-curlingly bad as it sounds.

But there was so much more. Finally the players deigned to make an entrance, perched on marble steps like contestants in a Miss World pageant.

Introduced in turn, they made their way down the steps to accept the applause. To be fair, one or two did have the good grace to appear embarrassed. I confess, I was watching through the fingers of my hands by now, reduced to this state by the unremitting naffness of it all

+ Reply to Thread