+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Quote Originally Posted by harleychick;2135154;
    razorbacker - how are songs determined #1? or any number? I know that albums are based on sales but haven't heard how songs are tracked on the billboard charts.

Have you heard if any other songs on Carrie's album will be released to radio?
    I hope I can explain this in an understandable way, but it is sort of complicated. So, the below 3 songs are 1-3 on the MEDIABASE RADIO CHARTS as of 3pm this afternoon. Mediabase updates their charts throughout the day. This chart tracks how many times any particular song gets played on the radio. The Country charts have a total of I believe 125 stations that report their playlists. Now this list of stations changes, gets added to, subtracted from, So all of this can effect spin totals.

lw tW Artist Title TW Lw Move AI
    1 1 CARRIE UNDERWOOD Before He Cheats 5057 5116 -59 44.209
    2 2 RASCAL FLATTS My Wish 4581 4451 130 39.388
    3 3 KENNY CHESNEY You Save Me 4471 4460 11 38.745

lw = what chart position the song held at this time last week BHC was #1
    tw = where the song stands as of the most recent update BHC is #1
    Artist & Title are pretty self explanatory
    TW = How many spins the song has had during the past 7 days. BHC has had 5057
    LW = How many spins the song had the 7 days prior to the current week. BHC had 5116
    Move= The difference from one week to the next. BHC for example had 59 more spins last week than this week, so we see -59
    AI= Audience Impressions, here's where it gets wierd. These reporting stations report how many times they played the song each day & what time of day the song was played. Now Mediabase takes the Arbitron ratings for these stations that tells them the expected amount of people that are listening to any particular station at any particular time of day. They take this amount of people & multiply it times the spin, add up the figures & we get the total amount of potential Audience that should have heard a particular song.

So for BHC they multiply 5077 spins by that anticipated Audience & we get an expected Audience of 44,209,000 people that should have heard Before He Cheats this week.

The most important position is as of the last update on Sunday Night. That is the one that determines the final rankings for the week. So you can see that Before He Cheats as of this afternnon has a 476 spin lead for the week over My Wish by Rascal Flatts & a 4,821,000 lead in Audience. This is an enormous lead to make up in just the 3 days left in the week. And it looks almost insurmountable for next week as well. So, we can say with some degree of surity that Carrie will spend at least 3 and possibly 4 weeks at #1.

I hope that is clear. I can tell you it is quite fun to follow & try to figure out what is going to happen next.

Now to answer your other question. There will definitely be at least one more single released. Carrie isn't scheduled to go into the studio to start the next album until after the first of the year. So do to Holiday music & such I wouldn't expect to see the next single until Jan. at the earliest. Then with the way the charts work, that should take her into Mar. or Apr. & we should at that time hear the first single from the second album. Rumors swerling around are that the next one will be Wasted, but there has been no official word.

FORT Regular
    Thanks for helping me figure out the positioning of songs. What a complicated formula! What drives the spins? listener requests? music producers?

I used to work for a TV station in Dallas and I loved to watch the overnight ratings for the previous day's shows. It was interesting to see an old sitcom on an independent station beat out the #1 10 o'clock news on an affiliate.

I'll look forward to the next single to come out.

raxorback how do you know all this stuff? lol...is country music friendlier and more accepting of new talent then pop music? I know that if the PD on top 40 doesnt want to play something, they wont...but country music seems to play everyone until the public loses interest...they started playing ever single nashville star winner and runner up until nobdody was interested anymore...
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by harleychick;2135348;
    Thanks for helping me figure out the positioning of songs. What a complicated formula! What drives the spins? listener requests? music producers?

I used to work for a TV station in Dallas and I loved to watch the overnight ratings for the previous day's shows. It was interesting to see an old sitcom on an independent station beat out the #1 10 o'clock news on an affiliate.

I'll look forward to the next single to come out.
    Listener requests play a big part in it. The label will send potential singles to the stations for them to consider adding to their playlist. They ask the stations to begin playing it on a specific date, this is known as going for adds. In other words they want to be added to playlists. The station can decline is they choose or if they don't think the song fits their listeners.

Carrie was helped immediately first because of name recognition but mainly because she & her team made the decision to release Jesus Take The Wheel as the first single during the Holiday Season. That was an absolutely brilliant move on their part, Country music stations ate it up & it spent 6 weeks at #1. Then Don't Forget To Remember Me came out just around graduation time when so many people would be watching their sons & daughters go off to college for the first time. Another great marketing move. Now comes Before He Cheats, which some have said is the best song on the album. Look at what this song has done for sales of the album. Sales have increased every week since the video hit the airwaves & the shelf life of the album has just stretched another 6 months or more.

This team behind Carrie have let nothing go undone. I think they have been on top of their game from day 1. And the results have been award after award, a quadruple platinum album, 4 #1 singles, if you count Inside Your Heaven, 3 if you don't. And now a Horizon Award & Female Vocalist of the Year. And just think, the album isn't a year old until the 15th of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;2135382;
    raxorback how do you know all this stuff? lol...is country music friendlier and more accepting of new talent then pop music? I know that if the PD on top 40 doesnt want to play something, they wont...but country music seems to play everyone until the public loses interest...they started playing ever single nashville star winner and runner up until nobdody was interested anymore...
    I just read & study the stuff. I think the country stations may be more prone to play newer artists, but Chris Young from Nashville Star has had a tough time with his first single for some reason. Drinking Me Lonely is a really good, what I would call traditional Country song, but it has had a hard time getting traction. I listen to XM 16 a lot, I mean a lot. They always play new singles about 4 - 6 weeks before commercial radio gets on the band wagon. But then XM has a lot more time to fill due to no commercials.

I agree, I think Carrie's people have done an amazing job...they have done everything right, theyve been on top of their game....and she has reaped the benefits because of it.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

FORT Regular
    interesting what goes on behind the scenes on how songs are released. I hadn't thought about the timing of songs - guess that's why I'm not in the Marketing/Publicity business. So based on that maybe 'We're Young And Beautiful' will be released for Valentine's Day.

Are you in the music industry or is this a hobby?

razorback I was so facinated by your knowledge that i pm'd you about something un-carrie related

funny thing, Were young and beautiful is probably my least favorite on the cd...I really love wasted!

Quote Originally Posted by harleychick;2135411;
    interesting what goes on behind the scenes on how songs are released. I hadn't thought about the timing of songs - guess that's why I'm not in the Marketing/Publicity business. So based on that maybe 'We're Young And Beautiful' will be released for Valentine's Day.

Are you in the music industry or is this a hobby?
    It's a hobby & a passion. I love all types of music & listen constantly.

Funny thing about Young & Beautiful, I love the song, I think it is one of the most understated slow burn rockers on the whole album. But, when the album came out I read so many people saying it was their least favorite on the album. Even below Inside Your Heaven for cryin out loud. I told everyone to listen to the song with their eyes closed & imagine it being done live. Well that brought some of them around & guess what. When Carrie started to tour last Spring she started the show with Young & Beautiful & has continued to do so with every show since. It truly sets the stage for a great live experience.

Im gonna watch a video of carrie singing Young and Beautiful and see if I change my mind.

+ Reply to Thread