+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bo Bice

I wish they would let Bo play his guitar or something while performing. However, I have a feeling that is against the rules. I'm trying to think of something he can do to top that a capella performance he gave last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharoah
    Bo's maturity and experience have made him a "smart" performer. The [a capella] number was brilliant thinking on his part, but he really has a very limited vocal range. His vocals have style, but he is not the most gifted of the competitors. He is seasoned.

I like Bo, but thinking about whether I could listen to a whole CD, the answer is no. His sound starts to grate after one song.
    You really should hear Bo's SugarMoney CD "Recipe For Flavor." The songs are an eclectic mix and sound very different stylistically from most of what we've heard on AI.
    Plus he has almost a full bass-baritone range octave that he hasn't shown us on AI.

Bo has more than a 2-octave range. On AI he's gone up to the alto-range A several times (and at least once to B flat) and down at least as low as the E below middle C. But on "Blackwater Tides" - one of the 5 original songs he sings on RFF - he goes down to the E flat an octave below that.

(Now, RFF was recorded 4 or 5 years ago, so I guess it's possible he no longer has that borderline-bass range, but my hunch is it was more a matter of song choices. Low baritone/bass voices aren't exactly the what's "hot" in pop music at the moment -- although I prefer them to the boy band sound or the male falsetto. )

Most rock, country, and blues songs sung by males doesn't use much beyond an octave. I love The Stones, Jimmy Buffett, Brooks & Dunn, Bob Seger, Eric Clapton, Ray Charles, and a bunch of other singers whose songs, as far as I can recall, are never multi-octave. John Mayer's songs certainly don't use a lot of pitch range. Heck, one of my favorite singers is Leonard Cohen.

I'll wager if we catalogued the major (male) rock, country, blues and even r&b and soft-rock hits from the last few decades, we'd find a slew of them that didn't use more than 1 to 1 1/2 octaves.

IMO, it's just as silly for people to compare Eric Clapton's "range" to Mariah Carey's as it is to compare Bo Bice's to Vonzell Solomon's.

If some people don't like Bo's voice or style(s) enough to give a whole CD a listen, that's fine. (Personally, I couldn't take a whole 40-min. of listening to Vonzell any more than I can listen non-stop to Usher or Whitney Houston that long.)

But I still scratch my head when I hear people say Bo always sounds the same when they don't say that about Vonzell, Carrie, Ruben, or Anwar.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. §;-D

Vocal coach Roseanne Simonuvic on Bo's voice

Vocal coach Roseanne Sumonovic seems as impressed with Bo's voice and vocal stylings as I am:

http://www.timminsyouthsingers.com/AI4Masterclass3.ivnu

Excerpts:
    AMERICAN IDOL SEASON 4 TOP THREE VOCAL MASTERCLASS
    By Rosanne Simunovic*****May 19th, 2005

Last week, I stated that I sincerely hoped that our Final Three could bring a higher level of star quality and musical standard to the Idol stage, as I felt that the competition had waned since the premature elimination of some of the previous competitors of this year’s Top 12.

This week, we finally had ourselves a competition and, in one particular instance, a true star materialized before our disbelieving eyes. Although the other two singers desperately tried to raise their bar, neither could reach the level attained by one sole artist – Mr. Bo Bice! ...

Strengths: Bo – ... You finally displayed the true depth and range of your vocal and performing talent by presenting us with a virtually flawless interpretation of three distinct song styles. In my previous Master Class articles, I have been pestering you to challenge and confront the bona fide extent of your artistic and vocal abilities. Thankfully, all of this was beautifully evident and clear this week and I congratulate you on three outstanding and stellar performances.

[DLTSGDOM] was a great medium for your specific voice and artistic passion. ... Elton John is a versatile and all round performer, capable of writing and performing songs in every genre – including the rock genre. ...

So, it was wonderful to hear you sing Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me with the appropriate angst and longing conveyed through the poetry in the song text. It is meant to be sung with outstanding vocal nuances and, Bo, you allowed this important expressive element to permeate the entire song selection. Your voice embraced the melodic lines with raw and fiery emotion and your natural rock influence added energy and passion to this poignant number.

Additionally, in the abbreviated reprise of this song, you delivered a wonderfully intuitive melodic variation that was pitch centered and technically secure. In fact, the whole song was performed with extremely good technique. ... Bo, this song addressed the classical elements in your deep and resonant baritone voice.

And then we came to the second song – or should I say vocal masterpiece! Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor! What a daring and audacious performance! This was an inspired showcase and will be one of –if not – the most memorable, if only for its uniqueness and exclusivity.

However, it was more than that! It was about the performance! And Bo, you gave an immaculate and seamless performance of In A Dream. I was drawn to the genuine emotion in your voice and in your eyes as they stared back at me from the television screen. Such intensity! ...

Additionally, your voice sounded classically pure and resonant. This is the bel -canto technique applied to the pop/rock style of singing, dear readers! Bo, you accurately enhanced and sustained your voice through the diaphragmatic breathing process, allowing the vocal sound to resonate with pitch- centered security throughout this number.

Also, your melisma ... at the end of this song was perfectly executed. You nailed all the notes within this run, staying absolutely tuned to the correct tonality of the song key. The bel canto sustaining element was clearly present here, as all the vowels were focused and sustained in your vocal masque. Your expressive and relaxed facial muscles accentuated this process and, additionally, allowed you to display outstanding emotion. ...

And then ... Satisfaction. I loved the entry – the running from the back of the stage, carrying your beloved mike stand! You actually used it as a conductor’s baton at one point in the song, or so it appeared! It made me laugh and, by this point of the evening, I felt that you could do no wrong! Although this song has great entertainment value, it is a little tricky to sing, particularly when the singer has to navigate the repetitive melodic element in the verses. There is a risk that the phrasing and sustaining capability of the voice could fall flat and/or result in a less than musical performance.

However, this was not the case with Mr. Bo Bice! You cohesively approached the pure vowels in the cyclic melody within the verses and then alternated your vocal sound with a rock-edged approach in the memorable refrain! Also, I was very impressed that, although you expended a great deal of energy on stage – from the short distance run at the beginning of the song to the energized movements throughout this number – there was nary a breathy sound throughout this performance. ...

Three distinct performances all performed by one distinct, extraordinary and BOnafide star! Mr. Bo Bice! BRAVO!(I have to shout my heartiest congratulations!)

Critique: First of all, Bo and readers, you can rest assured that the critique will be noticeably shorter than the strengths portion of this evaluation. So here we go!

First of all, Bo, I would like to draw your attention to the problematic vocal element known as a diphthong. Generally, all your songs were beautifully sustained on one pure vowel within all your song lyrics. However in Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me, I noticed that you were vocally addressing all the vowels (ah –eye-ee) within the “eye” diphthong in words such as “blinded by the light.” Your mouth formation was more horizontal than vertical and, instead of sustaining your vocal sound on the initial vowel “ah” in this diphthong, you allowed all the vowels to come into play here.

It certainly was a minor problem in an otherwise stellar performance. However, I am trying to steer you away from this problem over the long term, as your voice loses quite a bit of brilliance and depth when you don’t approach this – or any diphthong – in a pure and uncluttered manner. Try it – you’ll see, hear and feel the difference immediately. Your voice will sound more intense and resonant.

Also, once again in the Elton John number, I would have preferred you performing this number either standing behind the microphone stand and/or carrying just the microphone. I found your signature “mike stand haulage” actually distracting and inappropriate to the emotional intent of the song. This song requires fewer stage antics and more refinement.

... However, midway through this song, you eventually positioned yourself on stage and maintained a quieter and less distracting demeanor! Then, the performance really became alive and I felt that we were able to actually “listen” to you sing and communicate the emotional lyrics, as opposed to “watching” you move!

And so, weeks after my constant and insistent rants and raves about adding dimension and style and individuality to your showcases, you finally found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and gave us a three performance showcases that we will treasure for the rest of our lives. Superb, extraordinary work, Bo! [/B]

Something most folks are probably not aware of is that "In A Dream," sung a capella, has been Bo's "warm up" exercise before his live gigs for years.

Scott Mabrey (I think that's the right "Scott"), Bo's friend who did the artwork for the CD "Recipe For Flavor," says he thought the song sounded very familiar when Bo sang it last Tuesday, but at first he couldn't place it. Then it came to him where he'd heard it -- but hardly anyone ever heard that song except the band members, roadies and maybe the folks who ran the venues where Bo was performing.

I just got back from vacation and watched my TIVO of last week's shows. Bo, of course, blew me away with the a cappella Badlands song. He sang with all of the emotions required--tenderness, awe, passion--tempered with his usual intriguing edge. Ironically, he commanded the stage the most fully without the band--tho Bo usually rules the stage even with background music. In addition, since the band is usually loud, it was a welcome relief to have a less frenetic performance on AI. I'm hoping next year AI will let regular folk singers compete. I like their storytelling through song.

Further proof that Bo is an artist is that the next night, he sang the same song somewhat differently, changing the emphasis on some phrases, changing the timing on others. In other words, he improvised his technique, taking full advantage of his freedom from a backup band.

I'm fascinated to learn that he watches the other contestants' rehearsals--what a smart guy. I kinda wondered whether he chose his quiet a cappella version to set himself apart from Vonzell's screeching and Carrie's yelling.

A fun anecdote: A friend of mine said that when her 10-year-old kid first saw the long-haired L. Skynard band members on TV, he asked if they were members of Bo's band. Actually, it is interesting that Bo's bandmates have short hair. I'm old enough to remember the heyday of Southern rock but I never bought any albums. Bo has turned me onto Skynard--I bet their sales have gone up too.

I think Bo did a great job on Elton and the Rolling Stones, too. At the same time, I thought Paula's choice of "Satisfaction" was ridiculous. The song was practically written to serve Mick Jagger's distinct, growling rendition. It's not meant to be sung any other way. Bo sang the song in his style, and it didn't quite work--but I can't think of any other rockers who could do the song justice, either.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    ...Bo, of course, blew me away with the a cappella Badlands song. He sang with all of the emotions required--tenderness, awe, passion--tempered with his usual intriguing edge. Ironically, he commanded the stage the most fully without the band--tho Bo usually rules the stage even with background music. In addition, since the band is usually loud, it was a welcome relief to have a less frenetic performance on AI. I'm hoping next year AI will let regular folk singers compete. I like their storytelling through song.

... I'm fascinated to learn that he watches the other contestants' rehearsals--what a smart guy.
    Some people have cited this as evidence that Bo really cares about winning the title, even though his own mom says he keeps telling her it's mainly about "getting my voice out there" and being a consummate performer. I'm not totally convinced yet that Bo himself will be completely disappointed if he comes in second (thus getting loose from 19E a few years sooner), but I do think that his scoping out others' rehearsals indicates he didn't want to get "set free" too soon, like Nadia and Constantine.

I kinda wondered whether he chose his quiet a cappella version to set himself apart from Vonzell's screeching and Carrie's yelling.
    I think Bo did a great job on Elton and the Rolling Stones, too. At the same time, I thought Paula's choice of "Satisfaction" was ridiculous. The song was practically written to serve Mick Jagger's distinct, growling rendition. It's not meant to be sung any other way. Bo sang the song in his style, and it didn't quite work--but I can't think of any other rockers who could do the song justice, either.

I kinda wondered whether he chose his quiet a cappella version to set himself apart from Vonzell's screeching and Carrie's yelling.
    Not just Carrie and Vonzell, I think. AI does tend to showcase power ballads, belting, high-range melismatic runs, and "glory notes." What Bo did certainly did make him stand out from the pack.

I love the fact that Bo's "Hall of Fame Moment" was the song he's been using as a vocal warm-up exercise for years! (It brings to mind the story of how Bix Beiderback's trumpet (?) warm up exercise became the melody of "Stardust.")
    ... Actually, it is interesting that Bo's bandmates have short hair.
    Shane Sexton used to have hair as long as Bo's, and I think most of the members of Purge and Blue Sued Nickel did too (based on pics I've seen at the SugarMoney website.)
    I agree it was stupid. Of all the rock songs Paula could have chosen, "Satisfaction" is probably one of the worst for showcasing a guy's vocals.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 05-23-2005 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    Question: Can Bo sell records? (Part II)

Answer: Bo's track "I Don't Want to Be" is currently #84 on the iTunes Top 100. It's the only track from the AI4 album that has made the Top 100 (so far).
    And now just 4 days later, it's at #67!!!

FORT Fanatic

Canadian Idol

I'm glad American Idol let some rockers in this year. I wonder if they took note from Canadian Idol - we had Billy Klippert and last year Jacob Hogaard - who just broke the mould. Made things more exciting. Billy Klippert's rendition of Levon from Elton John was my most favourite IDOl moment ever. Out of Canadian and American Idol. Alas he did not win, but is still one of my favourites.

Bo's Success Has Spiritual Element, too.

http://www.al.com/entertainment/hunt...570.xml&coll=1

Excerpts:
    Bo's success has spiritual element, too
    Gospel singer says she knew he'd use his talents for God

Monday, May 23, 2005

By CHRIS WELCH
    Times Entertainment Writer, chrisw@htimes.com

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. - The nice woman from Nashville [en route] to Los Angeles Saturday perked up, but was a little mysterious when the subject of "American Idol" finalist Bo Bice came up.

"Yeah, I know Bo. I got him to give my granddaughter an autograph because I knew he was going to be famous," is all she would say on the four-hour flight.

That autograph came before Bice ... ever appeared on "American Idol" - and long before anyone knew he'd be on Tuesday night's finale ... .

[In the terminal in] L.A.... the lady [continued].

"I'm a gospel singer," said Diane Palmer, who was in town for a private concert. "I didn't say this on the plane because it bothers some people. But I did a concert at Bo's church (New Hope Presbyterian in Pelham). And in the middle of a song, the Lord spoke to me.

"I prophesied that Bo would use his singing talents to further God's word and ministry during the concert."

Amazing?

Bo's mom, Nancy Downes of Atlanta, sure thought so.

"Stop right there," Downes said during a phone conversation Saturday. "The day that happened, Bo called me crying from the church.

"He said, 'Mom, you're got to hear this story' and it was just as you said. God's presence gets people's attention."

The national media that pounced on Bice's two old drug arrests a few weeks back and those who condemned the Southern rocker might be surprised to know all the good he's done. Quietly and behind the scenes, that is.

Never one to toot his own horn, Bice lets his singing speak for his talent - and others - speak for his good heart off stage.

"I thought I'd share an amazing story with you," Edna Nelson, an advertising executive for WZDX, said in an e-mail.

Nelson said she got an e-mail from Fran Storey, whose 19-year-old nephew, Jimmy Bischoff, lives in Pell City and has a rare form of cancer.

In the e-mail, a member of Bischoff's family said Jimmy had heard Bice sing the Travis Tritt song, "It's A Great Day to be Alive" during one of the shows and felt like Bice was singing to him. Nelson forwarded the e-mail to another WZDX employee, programmer Linda Jones, who, coincidentally, was to see Downes at the station five minutes later to tape some promos.

Of course, Downes knew her son would gladly respond to the teenager.

"He loves one of Bo's songs and wanted him to do it for him a cappella," Downes said of Bischoff. "I got his e-mail and his number so Bo could contact him."

There are many others who have been touched by Bice's generosity.

There's the 5-year-old girl who has cancer and sings "Drift Away" when Bice calls.

"We sent her some T-shirts and Bo loves her to death," his mom said.

There's the young boy from Huntsville with Down's Syndrome.

"I went to Bo's house and got him a shirt and had it autographed," Downes said. "I helped him put it on and just cried because it was so wonderful."

There are the grandparents who lost their infant grandson. Bice wrote a song for the baby, sung it at the funeral and then took it to them on a CD.

And for those cynics who think Bice is doing it for the publicity during the show - he's planning to help folks long after the "Idol" cameras go off, win or lose.

"After all is said and done, I've talked with a lady at the Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center and we're going to take those $6 sunglasses and put them on eBay and give the money to charity," Downes said. "We may also take the shirt he wore and three or four more items and put them on eBay and give the proceeds to charity."

Talk about making a mom proud.

As they say, the apple (of a mom's eye) doesn't fall far from the tree.

"I had a sister who died from cancer, so I try to help people, and I hope that's where he gets it," Downes said. "He loves children and old people and just loves giving.

"That's just Bo. It's like (judge) Paula (Abdul) said last week - people are about to find out the spirit that's inside Bo and the wonderful stories are now just starting to come out."

The story about the baby's death and Bo changing his Christmas holiday plans on the spur of the moment to go back to Alabama to write and record a song for the baby's parents and to sing at the funeral is told in this article:

The Compassion Of Bo Bice
    http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturd...24/bice1.shtml
    Last edited by Grisabella; 05-24-2005 at 01:33 PM.

I might be away for awhile, so I just wanted to congratulate Bo on winning American Idol 4!

way to go Bo!

I think it's great that Bo is such a nice person, but I get a little unnerved by these spiritual stories about him. He's a great performer but not a saint. I just hope he doesn't get cannonized by his fans the way the Claymates annointed their idol.

+ Reply to Thread