+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Paula Abdul - Judge

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar

Re: Paula Abdul - Judge

Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister;3642391;
    I didn't say anything about Paula's being a woman. Paula and Ryan's jobs on the show are pretty similar, and their reputations as personalities are also pretty similar, so it's fair for her to expect a salary in a range similar to his. Ryan brought whatever he had to the negotiating table to work out his deal, and I'm sure Paula and her people did the same. It didn't work out for her. But she shouldn't be expected to swallow a sorry deal just because it's all they offered, whether three million dollars is a whole lot of money or not.
    I never thought you were comparing her to Ryan. Tbh, I figured you were comparing her to Randy, which would make sense for your argument considering that he made more money than she did and had the exact same job description. But that's neither here nor there. The sexism aspect wasn't really directed at your comment at all, though it does seem to be the most popular reason people cite for the discrepency. My main point was that salaries in those range are never based on a meritocracy, so it doesn't automatically make sense to say that her offer was inherently unfair by comparing it to someone else's salary. I think she just had less leverage with her history of problems, and probably got the offer that anyone that the producers no longer want around would get.

According to this article, it seems that reducing the number of judges to three is not their plan. Apparently, they're working on getting a string of celebrity judges to take Paula's spot. I must say that I find that surprising.

The chairman of Fox Entertainment told the nation’s TV critics Thursday that Paula Abdul’s departure from American Idol was “not our choice, not what we wanted to happen” but the network is moving ahead with plans to temporarily fill her seat with guest judges. Katy Perry and Victoria Beckham, in fact, are already confirmed to fill in at least once during the audition process that begin Aug. 7. Fox hopes to recruit more “female pop stars, female performers.”

“We don’t have a a big announcement to make on what we are going to do,” admits Fox Entertainment chairman Peter Rice. “For the past 24 hours, we’re focusing on auditions…Between now and January we will find a permanent solution. There is no expectation that these guest judges will be long-term for us. All of these people we talked to have successful careers so they would not be available [to serve as a] judge.” Rice added that while it is not definite that Abdul will be replaced at this point, it’s “probable.”

Rice reminded the press that Adbul’s contract was the only one up this year and that Fox offered what they felt was a “fair” and “substantial raise” (an insider says it amounted to a 30 percent pay bump that would have taken her to eight figures). Nevertheless, Abdul decided to leave.

“We are very sad she is not coming back,” says Rice. “She was an important part of the Idol family.”

That said, Rice said Abdul’s departure provides an opportunity to inject new energy in the now nine-year-old talent show. “Our job over the next four or five months is to really consider what is fun, what makes it great television,” Rice said. “The amount of talk and feedback this has generated really shows that people are engaged in how the show will evolve after she’s gone.”

Rice also attempted to clear up any misconception regarding Ryan Seacrest’s contract — especially considering widely published rumors that Abdul was hoping to snag a pay boost that would take her close to Seacrest’s new $15 million-per-year salary. Rice said that Seacrest’s rich deal was made with 19 Entertainment’s parent company for future cycles of Idol in addition to other projects; he is not being paid $15 million solely to host Idol.

I heard on the news today that they were looking at bringing Victoria Beckham onboard for at least a few shows and seeing how that worked out.
    If they put her on this show, then I am definitely done with AI.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

The article I read said she was just being a guest judge for one show as was Katy Perry.
    Fox: Abdul talks closed, Posh, Perry guest judges - Entertainment AP - MiamiHerald.com
    Female pop stars will serve as guest judges for the seven-week audition process set to begin Friday in Denver, with Victoria Beckham and Katy Perry the first to be announced by Fox.

You gotta love this one.

Devotion to Paula Abdul floors Constantine Maroulis in bar fight

Devotion to Paula Abdul floors Constantine Maroulis in bar fight

Paula Abdul inspires men to fight over her, but not in the way you might think.

“American Idol” alum Constantine Maroulis, 33, got his butt kicked by an Abdul hater during Casio’s G-Shock party Wednesday night at Cipriani Wall Street.

The partygoer threw punches, pushed Maroulis to the ground and kicked him repeatedly before security guards stepped in. According to witnesses, fisticuffs erupted because Maroulis professed his desire for Abdul’s return to “Idol.” His attacker was more than happy to see her gone.

“It was hilarious! Constantine got into it with this guy who was probably 6 inches shorter and 60 pounds lighter,” laughs an observer. “The guy body-slammed him and punched him in the face and then just stood up, straightened his tie, and said, ‘B—ch, don’t you ever,’ before walking away.”

The attendee adds, “Security didn’t know what to make of this guy. He was so well-groomed in his suit, and he didn’t look like a threat at all. Constantine was so overwhelmed he just sat there on the floor for a few minutes.”

Later, the Tony nominee, who just signed for another year in the Broadway show “Rock of Ages,” tweeted about the incident.

“It broke up quick, didn’t even know him. Or throw one punch. I don’t mind a fight ... but only when it’s fair and I’m looking!” wrote the star, adding, “I’m fine! Some drunk dude tackled me in the middle of the concert and jumped on me.”

Maybe hostility was in the air. While Maroulis’ fight transpired, performer Kanye West rapped about his anger over a March arrest for breaking a paparazzo’s camera. West sang, “I have to pay $100,000 to the photographer who said I hurt his arm, but I was just breaking them (bleeping) cameras, I wasn’t trying to do you no harm dude.” He added, “I’m not trying to stop you from getting paid at all, but I feel the pictures you take are trying to make the icons fall.”

West’s on-and-off gal pal Amber Rose, singer O’Neal McKnight, Ashanti and Russell Simmons were all on hand to catch the lyrics and the action.

Just dropped in to say that this could be a reason for me,
    not to watch Idol anymore.
    Never change a winning team.

Everybody plays an important part in the whole scenario.
    Ryan, Randy and his "yo dog", loopy Paula...
    Not everybody can be outrageous and/or funny.
    Just like on sitcoms.
    There has to be a build up for the funny person to make his point.
    Look at Randy and Paula as a build up for Simon.
    That has worked perfectly for many seasons and made Idol what it is.
    Changing the team is like changing the statics,
    and that might cause everything to fall apart.

Idol doesn't need four judges or any change from the original team.

What Paula should do is become a contestant, not a judge, on that celebrity dancing show. She'd probably get an avalanche of support from people who miss her on Idol and/or thought she was treated badly, potentially even winning show. It would be some great publicity and make her stock rise quite a bit. It would give her the aura of a phenomenon.

In contrast, taking another judging gig could potentially backfire. If she turned out to be an average judge, which she probably would be, people would soon lose interest in her. I don't think it would take long before people realize it doesn't makes sense to feel bad for an average talent who got two prime TV show gigs.

I haven't seen posted here but I just read a news articles saying that DWTS is courting Paula as well as SYTYCD. She may come out of all this mess on top after all. I'm going to miss her on AI but I do think she's better suited as a choreographer for one of these other shows. DWTS wants her in anyway they can get her.... choreographer or a temporary replacement for Len who is recovering from a surgery. Nigel is saying he's been wanting her on the show (SYTYCD) since season 1.

I'm excited for her, while I often thought she was OUT THERE she was far and away my favorite judge on AI and it will not be the same without her. I won't even be listening to the judges anymore and will just FF through their comments.

While I'd prefer that she return to AI, I would be gleeful if DWTS dumped Carrie Inaba and replaced her with Paula.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3652152;
    While I'd prefer that she return to AI, I would be gleeful if DWTS dumped Carrie Inaba and replaced her with Paula.
    While I don't care about DWTS, I never watch the show, I'd just like to say that there may be no more annoying person on the face of the earth than that Carrie Inaba person. Anything, anything at all, that could be done to exit her from the limelight would be okie dokey with me.

+ Reply to Thread