+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 77

Thread: American Idol 3, Top 3: Hey Mister Melody, Please Be In Tune For Me

  1. #31
    FORT Fan Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Pookipichu
    Hmmm, I don't agree that sending Jasmine home is the "right thing". Although I was rooting for Jennifer Hudson to win, I think it's harsh to say Jasmine deserves to be eliminated. There are clearly people who enjoy her singing and her presence. To say that her elimination is the "right" thing is rather arrogant and presuming. I have been reading variations of that statement in this forum and newspapers like it were the gospel truth.. as if everyone is required to like Diana, Fantasia and Latoya. Not only do people have a right to like Jasmine best, there are people who do and we should all respect that if not agree. After American Idol is over, then you really vote... with your pocket books. Until then, I wish everyone was a little nicer to the finalists. They are young and seem like nice kids. Well, this show will soon be over so let's get our purses ready and buy Jennifer H.'s new Cd :-)

  2. #32
    Luscious Pichus Pookipichu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    413
    I love John Stevens so you're asking the wrong person lol.

    But on another note, most of the people I think should win don't make it past the final 32. I've learned to deal with it. Sometimes a great singer does not make it to the finals but everything evens out in the end.. The best example is Justin Guarini. I thought was gosh-awful but he almost won. Did he "deserve" to make it to the final two? Who can say... but after the competition, almost no one bought his album. It's all about the sales. And I would totally buy a John Stevens album. He's super nice, cute, humble and personable. That's more than you can say about most million selling gangsta rap artists.


    Touch my bunny, stroke my cow.

  3. #33
    Ruben is "Soulful" pillbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Addict
    as always...great recap lobes! i don't know how you keep putting them out time and time again! thanks!


    okay, i must be watching a totally different show from everyone else, or i must have bad hearing, but i really think diana is horrible. she can only stay somewhat in tune when she yells. she can't stay in tune on slow songs for anything. i don't "feel" her when she sings...it's just so mechanical.
    You summed up perfectly what I've been observing. She can only stay in tune when she yells and/or is singing quickly. And the shouting--whoa--I had to cover my ears at one point. The fact that she could win a note-holding contest doesn't impress me, either. Yodelers and Carol Burnett can do that too.

    let me state up front that i am NOT a jasmine fan at all. in fact i really don't care for her much. i slam her for many of the same reasons that i do diana. she's cute, but she can't hold a tune and comes off as kind of self centered. but, i do believe that of the three, she is the most packagable "pop" image right now. she has a workable voice (think janet jackson, paula in her hey day, j.lo, madonna, britteny) and sex appeal. all she needs is a catchy tune, a dance coach, and a slamming video with her hair being blown all over the place and some water splashed on her. not my cup of tea...but she could really be marketable.
    Sure, maybe they could work wonders with the tuneless Jasmine in the studio, but I don't think voting viewers are asking themselves which contestant can be helped the most through studio and video work. I think they are voting based on how well they are responding to the singers live onstage. Some clearly like Jasmine live. Go figure.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-19-2004 at 04:49 PM.

  4. #34
    Ruben is "Soulful" pillbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Pookipichu
    I love John Stevens so you're asking the wrong person lol.
    No, I don't think I was asking the "wrong person." I also love John Stevens and would buy a CD of his in his (old-school) genre. But I think it would have been wrong for him to make the final 3 cuz he has not performed nearly as well as others in this competition. I think it's legitimate for people, in their opinion, to say it's time for someone to leave.

  5. #35
    FORT Fan Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam

    You summed up perfectly what I've been observing. She can only stay in tune when she yells and is singing quickly. And the shouting--whoa--I had to cover my ears at one point. The fact that she could win a note-holding contest doesn't impress me, either. Yodelers and Carol Burnett can do that too.
    too funny!!!!

  6. #36
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by Pookipichu
    Hmmm, I don't agree that sending Jasmine home is the "right thing". Although I was rooting for Jennifer Hudson to win, I think it's harsh to say Jasmine deserves to be eliminated. There are clearly people who enjoy her singing and her presence. To say that her elimination is the "right" thing is rather arrogant and presuming. I have been reading variations of that statement in this forum and newspapers like it were the gospel truth.. as if everyone is required to like Diana, Fantasia and Latoya. Not only do people have a right to like Jasmine best, there are people who do and we should all respect that if not agree. After American Idol is over, then you really vote... with your pocket books. Until then, I wish everyone was a little nicer to the finalists. They are young and seem like nice kids. Well, this show will soon be over so let's get our purses ready and buy Jennifer H.'s new Cd :-)
    I think this is being a bit overly sensitive. I think we can infer that the person who said its the "right thing" meant "in their opinion" as well.

  7. #37
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    No, I don't think I was asking the "wrong person." I also love John Stevens and would buy a CD of his in his (old-school) genre. But I think it would have been wrong for him to make the final 3 cuz he has not performed nearly as well as others in this competition. I think it's legitimate for people, in their opinion, to say it's time for someone to leave.
    I agree - not on the point about John S. - but that at some point, someone can believe its time for someone to go, in their opinion.

  8. #38
    A I FAN ALL 5 YEARS pokealot214's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    far northern Minnesota usually, but wherever my job takes me!
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsjmsjms
    Didn't anyone wonder why someone who is the head of BMG chose a song with lyrics like, "When I was young, I never needed anyone. Making love was just for fun. Those days are gone." for a 17-year-old girl?
    First off. Great recap lobeck. Now, beyond what jmsjmsjms said, how about her first song. The one she chose. How is it any more proper for her to sing about making love all night with a man who has "a family" and is, based on the lyrics, presumably married? I just don't get how the song choices were made. Doesn't anyone have a say about what might or might not be proper for a 17 year old girl to sing? :rolleyes
    only here occasionally due to work schedule... here mentally even less BTW... you can just call me poke

  9. #39
    Snaps for John!
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Here, there, and everywhere
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    Yo, yo, yo. Lobeck, you brought it down today. That was HOTT!! Got to give you props. Yeah-yeah-yeah.

    Totally agree with your assessments!
    I dunno, dude, the recap was just aaaaaight fo me, dawg. I mean, you made it your own, know what I'm sayin, but it has to be HOTT, and it wasn't really kickin' it for me, dawg, but you did yo thing.
    No, no, I kid. The recap was indeed "kickin it" and excellent job, lobeck. I agree totally, if Jasmine advances this show is even more of a travashammockery than I thought it was. And it's a pretty big one, too. :rolleyes

  10. #40
    FORT Fogey Tigerusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Addict
    okay, i must be watching a totally different show from everyone else, or i must have bad hearing, but i really think diana is horrible. she can only stay somewhat in tune when she yells. she can't stay in tune on slow songs for anything. i don't "feel" her when she sings...it's just so mechanical. i'm not understanding the judges fascination with her at all...send the child to work on the disney channel! i think she would do really well there (and i'm not being sarcastic!).
    Yep, you're watching a different show.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.