+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 137 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686136 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Diana Degarmo - FINALIST

Quote Originally Posted by elfin_sprite
    Is it just me or does she sound really nasal on the clip?
    Love your avatar!!! Anyway I have to agree with you she sounded nasal to me too. I think that she gets worse every week.

Idol Fan
    Gotta throw my two cents into this - I think she's got an amazing voice, and she really, finally came through last night and sang with emotion and nailed it. She was simply outstanding! Even the judges all gave her the long overdue acclaim she deserves. After having been sick with laryngitis, and something else recently, I'm not surprised she was the tiniest bit nasal (at least that's how I saw it); but she really, truly pulled that song off. I give credit to Manilow for assisting her (and them all) and think he may have helped her find a better song for her.

I hope she won't land in the bottom, after being there so many times now. She deserves to find herself safe after last night, and I'm rooting for her. With someone of the performance talent level of JS in this, Diana certainly deserves to be safe!

What a great performance she gave!

I agree - I think her performance last night was fantastic. I REALLY hope that she is safe tonight . . . .but unfortunately, I'm thinking she will be gone. I have always loved her voice, but the very first video montage of her (with all the childhood stage performances) really did a disconnect for me, and I wonder if it did the same with the voting public as well. Sad, because when I look past that, she's really quite good.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Everyone thinks she's safe...look what happened to JPL. The one time that the judges gave him a decent comment, he got booted off. I think people have this false sense of security that their idol is safe just because judges gave them good comments. Right now John fans have a sense of urgency to keep him off the bottom.

I now think that Diana has the best voice in the competition, although not quite as polished as Fantasia or Latoya.

Yea Diana!! I am so glad that she got plenty of votes on Tuesday. She chose a very difficult song, and one that is also inspiring, and she did so well. I am glad that was rewarded! I am so happy for her...she needed the confidence boost after her encounter with QT last week. He was deplorable to her.
    fka kickstand

Can Ya Dig It?

lilmac, thanks for the avatar love (I'm a big LOTR/Cate Blanchett fan!) I thought she sounded really nasal---didn't notice that quality in her voice until "My Heart will go on". Must be the illness.

Quote Originally Posted by superfly
    I now think that Diana has the best voice in the competition, although not quite as polished as Fantasia or Latoya.

I agree! Except Latoya runs a very close second for me. Latoya has more professional experience and it shows. I hope these two both get record contracts.

I'm especially pleased Diana didn't get the boot the way everyone just assumed she would. America made the right choice in putting her in the top three. (Ah, but the wrong choice in the bottom three - but that will go on another thread)

Pull-My-String-And-I-Will-Sing

I just don't see it in Diana, I don't feel it, I don't like it. Bottom line, too much of her talent is manufactured. She's stuffed with talent. You could go to any overly-processed-with-lessons-throughout-their-childhood factory and find a Diana (or a David) there. It's empty when she performs. She does have a fan-base, I mean, she's plastered bumper stickers, posted posters, handed out flyers all over the place for people to vote for her.

SingleGal

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    I read this article/bio of her with some interviews of family and friends, and I think this picture that everybody keeps painting of her is inaccurate. It was clear that she herself was the driving force behind her musical pursuits. Her Mom was the furthest thing from a stage mom. And I think you can kind of tell from looking at her Mom. She looks like a jolly but befuddled old lady who's along for the ride.

Unfortunately, Simon makes some comments about "pop farms" and "beauty pageants," and, like everything else he says, people just keep regurgitating it over and over, regardless of whether it had any truth to start off with. It's unfortunate that she couldn't really say anything back to his claims because then she'd be considered cocky and arrogant. It's a lose-lose proposition.

(actually, if you look back at when he made that comment, she tries to interject "No, it was all me." but it got drowned out by whatever he was saying at the time.)

I hope people start seeing her for what (I think) she is, a very driven young lady with a lot of talent.
    Last edited by BobDobolina; 04-22-2004 at 04:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread