+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 180 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108148 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

FORT Fan

Re: Clay Aiken

Somebody took a picture of these guys on shore leave lined up in Shubert Alley waiting to go in to see Spamalot.

and review number 2 in newsday!! another good one!

Hey, it's not dead yet. In the words of one of the supremely goofy bad-taste delights from "Monty Python's Spamalot," the musical may be approaching its third year at the Shubert Theatre. But the thing's not dead yet - in fact, not even close.

Forgive our suspicion that "Spamalot" might have reached the uh-oh point in its heretofore long and happy run. After all, Clay Aiken, unknown until he was the runner-up in the second season of "American Idol," had been cast, with alarming hoopla, to play Sir Robin and assorted zanies - in a British accent, in a role created on film by (author, lyricist, co-composer) Eric Idle himself and recreated on Broadway by David Hyde Pierce.

We know that Fantasia, Aiken's fellow breakout survivor from gladiator TV, had a phenomenal stage debut last year as a replacement for the star in "The Color Purple." But what are the chances that another newbie from the South with zero stage experience would be able to slip into a high-maintenance Broadway hit without dragging it down like a boulder tied to its soft shoe?

So it's excellent news for Aiken and "Spamalot," not so good for drama schools. Aiken is a charmer. With his aging cherub face and a frizzle-pageboy wig, he goes sweetly and deftly Medieval on Broadway - a world described in the show as "a very special place with people who can sing and dance, often at the same time."

And so he does, frequently at the same time. Aiken blends into the sophomoric adorableness of the show, even toying with his own girlish charisma at a piano topped with a Liberace candelabra. His voice has range and color. He dances with a childlike skip, he yodels and sings falsetto and gets through the scenes when Robin "soils himself" with no visible humiliation. This is not a debut for cowards.

Overall, Mike Nichols' cartoon spectacle has been spiffily maintained. The actors - including Jonathan Hadary's little-king Arthur, Christopher Sieber's droll Galahad, David Hibbard's loyal Patsy and Rick Holmes' thoroughly demented French Taunter - play with the abandon of bright kids discovering a new toy. Hannah Waddingham is a force of nature as the many faces and voices of the Lady of the Lake.

For the record, Britney Spears' name has indeed been replaced by Posh Spice in the "Diva's Lament," because, according to the creators, "we don't laugh at sad people." They do, however, laugh at just about everyone else, from Jews to gays to the Finnish. And they still sell the best show-related merchandise on Broadway. Killer-rabbit bunny slippers? Nice touch.

Review: Clay Aiken fits as Sir Robin in 'Spamalot -- Newsday.com
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

WRAL news in raleigh is going to be in the studio with clay at 5:00pm!!
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Clay and 2 other cast members have a bad case of the flu, they missed last night's performance. Hope they are all feeling much better soon.

Clay was back yesterday, he didnt do the stage door cause he still wasnt feeling a hundred percent, but he was there.

The wral interview was AWESOME!! clay talked for 16 minutes about the new cd, the songs, what they meant to him etc. go to wral.com and watch the videos, its worth it!

Clay Aiken Spills the Beans About Upcoming Album :: WRAL.com

NEW YORK — Raleigh native Clay Aiken is a busy man these days, performing at night on Broadway as Sir Robin in "Monty Python's Spamalot" and working on his upcoming studio album during the day.

It's been five years since Aiken put together an original album, or one that is, he says, at least 95 percent original.

"Some of it is, you know, a kind of half-way version of original," he said. "But it's all stuff that I'd imagine 90 percent of people have not heard."

The songs had to meet two qualifications.

"They have to be something I'll enjoy and that I can do well," Aiken said. "And at the same time, they have to kind of fit into this common theme of 'On my way here.'"

"On My Way Here" is one of the tracks and might end up being the album title.

Aiken was working on that song and another the day he invited WRAL's Lynda Loveland to the recording studio. The second is called "Ashes".

"Someone told me (that) what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger," he said. "(The song) talks about bad things that might happen to you. You know, there's been some stuff that's happened in the last five years that I would rather have not happened, but you learn from things like that."

For the first time, Aiken's album, which he hopes will be released sometime after May, is being produced by one person. He kept that person secret, until now.

Known only as Kipper, he is from the United Kingdom and might be best known for producing a Grammy award-winning album for Sting.

"We wanted to find someone who had a great reputation and had done stuff in the past that was kind of edgy and current," Aiken said.

Kipper is coming up with a new sound for Aiken and even wrote a song for him that's got a bit of an R&B vibe to it.

"We've captured some really great moments," Kipper said. "I'm very optimistic we're going to have a record where people will go, 'Is that Clay? Is that Clay Aiken?"

Aiken also hopes to include a song he's penned with producer David Foster, "Lover All Alone," which was available as an iTunes bonus track on a previous album.

"It was my first attempt at writing anything, and David Foster wrote the melody," Aiken said. "He said, 'Take it home and write some lyrics.'"

It was seven months later, however, when Aiken was inspired.

"And then one day, I was sitting in Los Angeles, and all of a sudden, I had this idea, and I wrote it in, maybe, 15 minutes," he said.

Reporter: Lynda Loveland

FORT Fan

There's a funny and very interesting video here:

Aiken Reveals Backstage Secrets of 'Spamalot'
    Clay Aiken - Spamalot

Posted: Today at 7:56 a.m.
    Updated: Today at 11:43 a.m.

NEW YORK
    Aiken Reveals Backstage Secrets of 'Spamalot' :: WRAL.com

FORT Fan

The NY City Guide, starting today, has Clay on the cover.

American Singer Clay Aiken Visits Afghan Schools

Recent article from the Embassy for Afghanistan

News and Views
    American Singer Clay Aiken Visits Afghan Schools

UNICEF’s Goodwill Ambassador and former star of American Idol Clay Aiken visited Afghanistan to create awareness about the promise of hope for the youth of this war-torn country.

Aiken visited schools in Kabul and the central province of Bamyan with the country’s representative for UNICEF Catherine Mbengue and Aiken’s own former teacher Mary Props.

“As a former teacher, I recognize that spark of hope and excitement all children possess when given the opportunity to learn,” said Aiken. “Rebuilding schools, training teachers, providing essential supplies and teaching materials are just some of the advances UNICEF and its partners have made to keep that hope flourishing.”

[Clay says over 6 million children are doing what they have to to take advantage of the schooling that's been denied them for years.] ... Many, if not most, have ... only "a dusty ground outside in one of the world’s most beautifully scenic landscapes. And still, they come to class. Many walk for miles; for hours…I have never in my life seen such a thirst and excitement for learning, seeing children, women, men, boys and girls to be so excited about learning, to be so excited about being in school. The people are perhaps its most valuable natural resource,” he said.

In Afghanistan, UNICEF has distributed teaching and learning materials to 2.71 million children and 61,780 teachers, supported Mobile School Protection Teams in 34 provinces, and trained 614 teacher trainers as well as 8,110 newly recruited female teachers, among other projects.

UNICEF Representative Catherine Mbengue summarized the trip at a press conference with the singer, “UNICEF is committed to reach out to all the children in Afghanistan and provide quality education…We talked about poverty reduction, conflict resolution; please remember that poverty reduction starts with children. Conflict resolution starts with children. More children are going to schools, more children are going for vaccinations, more women go to literacy courses and we have recognized that. We have to tell that story and tell the world that children of this country are the beginning of this country. If we invest in them, lots of problems are going to be solved.”

Here's the link to the full article:
    04.30 news clayaiken

There are some neat pics of Clay with a full beard.

hehe I remember him talking about that On Jimmy Kimmel, he grew the beard and wore the afghan garb thinking he was being respectful, wanted to dress like the natives and nobody else was dressed like that...bless his heart

I went to spamalot last weekend, and the whole show is so funny, if you like that monty python stupid humor then go see this show! Not just because of Clay, although he is PHENOMONAL! but the whole cast, and the whole show is amazing, and fun..you cant help but leave very happy.

+ Reply to Thread