+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 180 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384124174 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

FORT Fogey

Re: Clay Aiken

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella;2468017;
    And I do think it speaks volumes about bias when Fox and Celebrity Spider overemphasized Clay's connection to the 2003 American Idol season and chose to totally ignore his post-Idol career or mention that he was en route to a concert he was doing that night. Other media, e.g., EW and the Charlotte newspaper, have been more even-handed in that regard.
    Whatever you think of Clay, he is not primarily known for being the runner-up on AI2. If that were the case, other runners-up such as Justin Guarini and Diana DeGarmo would get as much media attention. He's known because of his popularity on that show and because of the various successes -- yes, and celebrity gossip -- he's had between June 10, 2003 and now.

I don't think that a distinction can really be made between AI success and career success for people like Clay and others who've taken their AI success further than the show. Yes, some other runners-up (and lets be honest - some other winners) have not found as much success as Clay has. But how far would Clay be without AI? (same could be said for any of the others who've found success after the show). Clay caught a lucky break when he lost to a guy who was not interested in putting everything in his life into a huge music career. Early on, Reuben turned down some appearances, and Clay was very smart to step up, make himself available, and take advantage of that spot light. Clay is also a very talented singer and performer, which has also contributed to his success. But just like the others, he was a nobody until AI. There are many very talent singers nad performers in the US that you and I never have and never will hear of.

Has Clay found success beyond AI? Absolutely. But would he have found that success without AI? I don't think so. Therefore, it makes perfect sense to me that reports about Clay would refer to AI so closely.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

A few people have posted on here something to the gist of: fans will not think badly of Clay and non-fans will think badly of Clay--regardless of what the facts are. That's simply not true. I guess I can be called a fan of many people and I don't support some of their lame antics. I used to love Mel Gibson--thought he was absolutely charming. Even had the fortune of meeting him once many years ago when he was still attractive. After his drunken anti-semitic tirade, there was no way I could defend his actions. I am probably one of the few adult women who actually liked 'N Sync (don't hate me!). But when Justin Timberlake and Cameron Diaz punched a photographer, I don't condone that kind of behavior. I'm not a Clay fan but I can see why people would like him, I guess. But if I heard that one of my faves--like my boyfriend Kyle Chandler --had put his foot on a fellow passenger's armrest against her will--well, I would say that it was wrong of him to do so. It's not a major incident and he's certainly not as famous as Clay, so it probably wouldn't get all this attention, but I'm sure it'd be covered. And I'd probably say, "What a dumbarse thing to do." And that'd be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2468021;
    I don't think that a distinction can really be made between AI success and career success for people like Clay and others who've taken their AI success further than the show.
    Exactly. Justin Timberlake will always be known as a former member of 'N Sync, no matter how well his solo career goes (and so far it's going pretty darned well).

Re: Clay Aiken Part XIV

People put their feet on the back of my seat a lot when I'm flying. Especially kids (into their teens). People often have their feet in the aisle while other passengers are trying to board and get to their seats. People fall asleep and their heads or arms end up in my "space." And people often put their feet on the back of the armrest of the seat in front of them in first class. (This is usually less bothersome than having a foot on your seatback, since the armrest is fixed in place.) If it bothers me, I either turn around and give them an unapproving look or politely ask them to stop. If I'm really bothered and that doesn't help, I either change seats (if that's an easy option) or ask the attendant to help out.

If I were asleep and someone woke me by shoving me in the chest, I wouldn't consider it a major offense, but I probably would be a bit testy at such a startling awakening, and my tone of voice might not be the mellowest.

Anyway, here's one of the more journalistically responsible reports I've seen about this incident:

http://www.charlotte.com/200/story/188917.html

Posted on Sun, Jul. 08, 2007

Clay Aiken involved in airplane spat
    The Associated Press

[[AP Photo of Clay]

Singer Clay Aiken of American Idol fame performs at Pizza Hut Park following a MLS soccer match ... in Frisco, Texas, ... July 4, 2007.]]

TULSA, Okla. --
    Singer Clay Aiken apparently got into a dispute with a woman during a flight to Tulsa, drawing some scrutiny from FBI agents but no charges, a newspaper reported.

The 2003 "American Idol" runner-up was on the Saturday morning Continental Airlines flight for a[n] evening show, and concertgoers said afterward that Aiken joked on-stage about being beaten up by a girl earlier in the day.

FBI Special Agent Gary Johnson told the Tulsa World there was a dispute between a male passenger and a woman on the flight. He said the man was a former "American Idol" contestant but did not give his name.

Johnson said the dispute was over the male passenger's foot resting on the woman's armrest. He said there was an allegation the woman gave the male passenger a "minor shove" during the argument.

"At that point the flight crew was able to resolve the situation," Johnson said.

Tulsa Airport Authority spokeswoman Alexis Higgins said the passengers were held until FBI agents arrived to interview them.

No injuries were reported and the disturbance did not interfere with the flight of the aircraft, Johnson said. ...

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2468021;
    Has Clay found success beyond AI? Absolutely. But would he have found that success without AI? I don't think so. Therefore, it makes perfect sense to me that reports about Clay would refer to AI so closely.
    I don't think it's unbiased journalism to refer 3 times in a report about this incident to Clay's having been an AI contestant (4 years ago) and not make a single reference to the current concert tour that was the reason for his being on that flight or even simply to his being a "recording artist" or "singer." And it comes as no surprise to me that Fox is one of the main media sources that continually frames stories about Clay this way.
    As for Clay's "loss" to Ruben and their relative success after May 21, 2003, that whole issue represents a major conflict of interest for Fox when it comes to "reporting." American Idol is their baby and cash cow, and (at least before Taylor Hicks won the title and Jennifer Hudson won an Oscar) they've not welcomed the successes of the non-winners, especially if they show up the "winners."

I think for any of the former Idol contestants who have gone on to release platinum or multi-platinum albums and/or had a lot of success on the concert stage, each year that passes since their AI season, the "American Idol" references become less necessary, less relevant. It's not necessary to mention AI in every article about Kelly, Clay, Fantasia, Diana, Jennifer, Ruben, Josh Gracin, and others from the earliest seasons of AI, unless that's basically their only claim to fame (e.g., Julia DeMato), and if they must mention it, generally one time is plenty. To mention it several times and totally regard the artist's other endeavors or achievements is just plain slanted reporting, and unfair.

Oh, and Justin Timberlake will always be known by many* as a former 'NSync band member, but I hardly ever see him referred to that way in current news coverage of him.

*A couple of decades ago, the daughter of a friend of mine asked him, "Daddy, was Paul McCartney ever a member of any other band before he was with Wings?" ;D
    Last edited by Grisabella; 07-10-2007 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella;2468031;
    Anyway, here's one of the more journalistically responsible reports I've seen about this incident:

Charlotte Observer | 07/08/2007 | Clay Aiken involved in airplane spat

Posted on Sun, Jul. 08, 2007

Clay Aiken involved in airplane spat
    The Associated Press

[[AP Photo of Clay]

Singer Clay Aiken of American Idol fame performs at Pizza Hut Park following a MLS soccer match ... in Frisco, Texas, ... July 4, 2007.]]

TULSA, Okla. --
    Singer Clay Aiken apparently got into a dispute with a woman during a flight to Tulsa, drawing some scrutiny from FBI agents but no charges, a newspaper reported.

The 2003 "American Idol" runner-up was on the Saturday morning Continental Airlines flight for a[n] evening show, and concertgoers said afterward that Aiken joked on-stage about being beaten up by a girl earlier in the day.

FBI Special Agent Gary Johnson told the Tulsa World there was a dispute between a male passenger and a woman on the flight. He said the man was a former "American Idol" contestant but did not give his name.

Johnson said the dispute was over the male passenger's foot resting on the woman's armrest. He said there was an allegation the woman gave the male passenger a "minor shove" during the argument.

"At that point the flight crew was able to resolve the situation," Johnson said.

Tulsa Airport Authority spokeswoman Alexis Higgins said the passengers were held until FBI agents arrived to interview them.

No injuries were reported and the disturbance did not interfere with the flight of the aircraft, Johnson said. ...

Okay, now you really have me confused, Grisabella, as that is the exact same article that BoBoFan posted yesterday to which you objected and started this entire discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2467648;
    I was just asking a question about a tour bus. I wasn't blaming or accusing anyone of anything. And I don't think I ever said anything at all about him cussing. Why are you taking this out on me?
    Im sorry..only the bus part was toward you..I apologize...
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella;2468031;
    If I were asleep and someone woke me by shoving me in the chest, I wouldn't consider it a major offense, but I probably would be a bit testy at such a startling awakening, and my tone of voice might not be the mellowest.
    [/FONT]
    I wouldn't be as nice you and believe neither would many other people. People get much more confrontational, physical about less things! I've seen it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;2468406;
    I wouldn't be as nice you and believe neither would many other people. People get much more confrontational, physical about less things! I've seen it happen.
    So have I. But when they do that sort of thing on a commercial airline nowadays, it's likely to bring on the Feds and tie everyone up while they investigate. You might even find yourself tasered.

(They probably thought the woman was Al Quaeda and Clay's foot was a weapon of mass destruction.) ;D
    Last edited by Grisabella; 07-10-2007 at 09:27 PM.

Broadway, yeah, I see it is the same article that BoBoFan posted, but most of my initial commentary was about how the media were making much ado over nothing, and I still say they are.

I guess my standards for "responsible journalism" have been lowered somewhat as I've read and heard more and more "reports" about this non-event. Saying Clay was "involved in a spat" does seem to imply that he participated in at least a verbal argument, and some witnesses say it was more a matter of him being attacked and trying to reason with the woman. But by contrast to some of the media describing it as his "getting into a fight," being party to a "fist fight" or an "ugly" "air rage incident," or even the term "altercation," I guess saying he was "involved in a spat" is stellar journalistic restraint by contrast.

The Charlotte paper report does make it sound like Clay hasn't made any public statement, but maybe his interview with ET was later. They also omit that he was reportedly asleep when the "spat" started, but on the whole their report sticks closer to the known facts than a lot of the news stories that have come out about this.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella;2468045;
    Oh, and Justin Timberlake will always be known by many* as a former 'NSync band member, but I hardly ever see him referred to that way in current news coverage of him.
    With all due respect for Clay, his name is not nearly the household word that Timberlake's is. I think a story without the AI reference would leave a lot of people confused or without interest in the story.

This point has nothing to do with what happened on the plane, just that I don't think it's an example of irresponsible journalism (though the story in general has probably been badly sensationalized, as these things tend to be.)

+ Reply to Thread