+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 180 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869109159 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

FORT Fogey

Re: Clay Aiken

I'm sure his advisors have been telling him for a long, long time that he needs a beard.

Clay's had the stubbly look many times over the past few years. Not sure how much of it is that he's trying to be stylish and how much it's just a matter of his hating to shave and having a fast-growing beard (he gets 5 o'clock shadow by 2 PM) but he's often seen looking halfway to a beard. I really like the full-blown, but neatly trimmed, one, though.

The beard is kind of important for his work in Afghanistan, though, because it lets him blend in (as much as a pasty-faced, freckled redhead with a North Carolina accent can) with the Afghanis. The UNICEF workers are trying very hard to get kids there vaccinated against several communicable diseases, and that sparks the ire of the Taliban, who may try to retaliate against both the UNICEF workers and the Afghanis who defy their (the Taliban's) wishes. Diane Sawyer said they had a good deal of security, especially in Kabul, but the violence (improvised bombs, etc.) was so "random" that nobody is really very safe.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

a lot of us are thinking that it has to do with the fact that he was in afghanistan, and needed or wanted to blend in as much as possible. He was just there, and is back now..so we'll see if it leaves or not, Im guessing it will.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Clay Aiken in Afghanistan for UNICEF (2007)

Here is a link to the ABC TV website, the video clip of Diane Sawyer in Afghanistan, from yesterday's show. It includes footage of Clay in Kabul in connection with his work as UNICEF Ambassador for Education.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3037636

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella;2328829;
    Here's a screencap from the videoclip of Clay in Afghanistan, from Good Morning America today.
    (It was on during the last 10 min. of the show and will probably be up on YouTube pretty soon.)
    He looks a little like Edward Norton in that picture
    Renee: You can think Im mean, you can think Im rude, but thats my opinion, and Im going to voice it.

Clay raises $140,000 for Afghanistan UNICEF in 1 week

U.S. Fund for UNICEF - UNICEF USA - Fieldnotes

Clay's UNICEF fundraiser challenge for children in Afghanistan was "$100,000 in Ten Days." He raised almost the full $100k in the first 2 or 3 days, and by the end of the first week he had raised at least

$139,778 !!

Maybe that $100k will be doubled by the end of the 10 days.

Video of Clay in Afghanistan for UNICEF

As of yesterday evening, the donations total was up to $145,902.31 just in the US, without counting in Canadian donations.

More information about Clay's concert appearance at the Freedom Fest in San Francisco:

Jennifer Kimble from the Contact Us heading at the Freedom Fest site says that Clay will be the only act and it will perform with a 45-piece orchestra, before the fireworks. Probably at least a 45-minute set.

The UNICEF website has video of Clay in Afghanistan:
    http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/...tan_39401.html

Here's a video of Clay's interview this week on Entertainment Tonight:

http://www.etonline.com/movies/news/47876/#

And here are some excerpts from the transcript:
    http://www.etonline.com/movies/news/47876/

April 20, 2007

The 28-year-old North Carolina native has gone a long way since his days at "American Idol" -- literally! He just returned from Afghanistan as part of his work as a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF.

But even though he grew out a beard during his trip, the facial hair did little to disguise his famous face.

"Some of the girls giggled just a little bit," he says. "But they're very shy. Everybody who we met was just really hospitable and totally welcoming."

The trip was not without some drawbacks, however.

"I would be lying if I said that I was not nervous," Clay says. "I was very nervous before I left. I hugged all my family, said goodbye." His stay proved to be an eye-opening experience.

"It was interesting," he says. "I was actually in Kabul at the same time DIANE SAWYER was, and she was at a hotel less than a mile away from where we were. We were trying to get together for dinner, but we couldn't because she couldn't leave her hotel and I couldn't leave mine [at night]. That's the situation in Kabul."

FORT Fan

Re: Video of Clay in Afghanistan for UNICEF

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella;2339691;
    As of yesterday evening, the donations total was up to $145,902.31 just in the US, without counting in Canadian donations.

More information about Clay's concert appearance at the Freedom Fest in San Francisco:

Jennifer Kimble from the Contact Us heading at the Freedom Fest site says that Clay will be the only act and it will perform with a 45-piece orchestra, before the fireworks. Probably at least a 45-minute set.
    Actually that concert is in Frisco, Texas, not San Francisco and the donation total has jumped up to about $182,000.00. I don't think it's the final total yet.

FORT Fogey

and you would think with all his humanitarian work he would be the perfect guest at "Idol gives back"...

+ Reply to Thread