+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 545464748495051525354555657 LastLast

Thread: Ruben Studdard Part VII

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Ruben Studdard Part VII

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2552956;
    I'm going to see Ruben perform Tuesday night....he's doing a charity benefit type concert to help raise money for a local hospital...tickets were only $20...I'd be nuts not to go....I'll be sure and post pics....
    Thought I would share some of my pics from when I went to see Ruben...like I had said, it was a charity event that he performed at. He put on a really good show. His band "Just a few Cats" opened up for him and played backup for his set. They were actually pretty darn good! Some of the songs he sung was "Change Me", "How can you Mend a Broken Heart", "Superstar" and the last song he sung was "I need an Angel". Let me tell you...I felt like I was at a church revival during that song...Ruben was telling about an experience he had where he was worn down and was in the hospital for pneumnoia and how he was saying he needed an angel and how the Lord had answered his prayers. He was getting down like he was at church and so was his band...which in turn had the crowd on their feet and waving their arms. I really had chillbumps during his performance of that song!

Ruben was nice enough to stay after the show and sign autographs. I was near the back of the line but his manager (I'm assuming that was him)wasn't too nice..he kept trying to rush everyone and saying that Ruben was going to have to go and he couldn't sign anything else. He was saying this when there may have been 10 people (including me) left in the line. Ruben himself was very gracious but there were no one on one photographs (per the manager!).

Ruben is still a big guy but you can definitely tell he has lost quite a few pounds. And let me tell you...to be a big boy-he still knows how to get around and get down!

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I don't know if any one else has heard, but apparantly Ruben has been dropped by J Records.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I believe they also said he was still with 19. Hopefully they will get him an new label.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I read elsewhere that he's going to play Fats Waller in the national touring company of "Ain't Misbehaving".
    I'll see if I can find the article when I get a chance.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2731829;
    I read elsewhere that he's going to play Fats Waller in the national touring company of "Ain't Misbehaving".
    I'll see if I can find the article when I get a chance.
    Here's what I've seen....should be a good one with Ruben and Frenchie!

Link Here

Big League Productions, the company that books Broadway musicals for touring throughout the world, is planning to launch a 30th anniversary tour of the Tony-winning revue Ain't Misbehavin'.

According to the official Big League website, Richard Maltby, Jr. — who wrote and staged the original 1978 production of the Fats Waller revue — will direct the tour as well. Heading the cast will be "American Idol" winner Ruben Studdard and former "American Idol" contestant and Rent star Frenchie Davis.

The national tour is scheduled for 2008-09, although specific dates have yet to be announced. As of press time, calls left for Big League Productions were not returned.

Conceived and originally directed by Richard Maltby, Jr., Ain't Misbehavin' was based on an idea by Maltby and Murray Horwitz. The original 1978 Broadway production made a star out of its leading lady, the late Nell Carter, and featured such Fats Waller tunes as "Mean to Me," "Honeysuckle Rose," "Black and Blue" and the title tune. The musical won Tonys for Best Musical, Best Featured Actress in a Musical (Carter) and Best Direction of a Musical (Maltby, Jr.).

Since winning the "American Idol" crown, Ruben Studdard has recorded four albums: "Soulful," "Flying Without Wings," "I Need an Angel" and "The Return." His fifth CD, according to a biography on the Big League Production website, is scheduled to arrive in 2008.

Frenchie Davis, who was recently seen in Mahalia–A Gospel Musical, made her Broadway debut in Rent. She played Effie in a regional tour of Dreamgirls, and she has also performed in professional productions of Little Shop of Horrors and Jesus Christ Superstar in Germany.

For more information visit Big League Productions, New York, NY.

FORT Fogey

Reuben is one of my all-time favorite idols. I REALLY don't want to come to the boards one day and learn he is impoverished or something.

He is entirely too good to not have a career SOMEWHERE!!!!! I hope he is spending his money wisely.

I read an article from Eurweb on the Game Show Network news site that states the same thing. Ruben will be traveling in the musical revue and in a show that will showcase his voice and personality. AI Rewind just showed the 2nd group in the 32 this week - the group that held Ruben - and I was reminded of his honeyed voice. I'm so glad he may find his venue.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Someone needs to write a musical for Ruben and Clay to star in together.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Link Here

Idol Ruben Studdard Obtains Marriage License

Second-season American Idol champ Ruben Studdard obtained a marriage license Monday in Alabama, PEOPLE has learned.

Studdard, 29, arrived at the Shelby County Probate Office in Birmingham with fiancée Surata Zuri McCants, 30, just before noon, filled out the paperwork and walked away with their license, an eyewitness says. Studdard is a Birmingham native.

"They looked really happy," says the eyewitness.

There was no immediate word on when they planned to marry. An Alabama marriage license is valid for 30 days.

+ Reply to Thread