+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Cowell, Judge

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Re: Simon Cowell, Judge

Funny clip of Simon back in the 90's appearing on a game show (Sale of the Century)

Simon Cowell`s TV Debut

That's hysterical! What a callow fellow. He looks a lot like Hugh Grant in that clip with the hair, the rectangular face, and the lop-sided grin. Same bemused, sarcastic responses.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2336606;
    That's hysterical! What a callow fellow. He looks a lot like Hugh Grant in that clip with the hair, the rectangular face, and the lop-sided grin. Same bemused, sarcastic responses.
    Good lord, that tie! His fashion IQ certainly hasn't changed.
    And speaking of IQ, I can't believe that nobody got the answer to the French Indochina question! I mean, they only had to come up with one!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Simon Defends 'American Idol' Eye Roll
    LOS ANGELES (April 18, 2007) -- Simon Cowell has long been known as "American Idol's" resident sultan of sarcasm, and while his predictable and often jaw dropping slams usually don't raise nary an eyebrow, a simple roll of the eyes on Tuesday night's show has landed Simon in a heap of controversy.

Following what Simon called a "nasally" performance from Chris Richardson, the contestant defended his performance, claiming he choose to sing nasally on purpose, and then offered condolences to the victims of the Virginia Tech tragedy.

"My heart and prayers go out to Virginia Tech. I have a lot of friends over there. Be strong," Richardson said to the cameras, which quickly panned to Cowell who was caught looking at Paula Abdul and rolling his eyes.

And while the feisty Brit was immediately admonished by fans for his insensitivity, Simon defended himself Wednesday morning, insisting his roll of the eyes had nothing to do with Richardson's message regarding the college campus tragedy.

"The truth is that I had switched off at the point. I was talking to Paula and I was saying to Paula, 'What does he mean he sang nasally on purpose?' I didn't understand what he was saying. So, I hadn't even heard what he did. My eye rolling was what I was saying to Paula," Simon said on Ryan Seacrest's KIIS FM radio show on Wednesday. "I have never heard so much rubbish. Half the time, I can't hear what they are saying and I'm not sure they can hear what I'm saying."

Simon said once he heard how his roll of the eyes was interpreted, he wanted to clear it up immediately.

"This is a very, very sensitive subject and the irony is that we wanted to try and set the right tone on the show and then something like this happens and it just starts fanning the flames and people have to understand that there are families are involved," Cowell explained. "It's not right."

In fact, "Idol" kicked off the show with a heartfelt message acknowledging the families and victims of the college campus massacre, which Seacrest also mentioned on his radio interview with Cowell.

"I want to make it clear that you and I wanted to say something because we felt obligated to say it. We truly believed that it was important to address it right at the top of the show," Seacrest said. "You can't ignore something like that."

"Completely," Simon agreed. "And having watched it back, I think Chris was right to have said what he said because he's from that neck of the woods. If I had heard him, I would have responded properly to that."

Richardson is a native of Chesapeake, Virginia.

Even "Idol" big wig Nigel Lythgoe felt it necessary to respond to the controversy and defend his judge.

"This is a sad time for everyone, so it is especially disheartening that a quick camera cutaway could have been misinterpreted," the "Idol" executive producer said. "We're sorry for any grief caused by this misunderstanding, but Simon was not reacting to Chris at that point. He had turned to speak to Paula and didn't actually hear Chris' final comments. Everyone at 'American Idol' feels compassion for those affected by this tragedy. We opened the show with those thoughts and Simon later expressed sincere condolences on behalf of the judges, recognizing the challenges we all face in dealing with this horrible event."

Access Hollywood | Simon Defends 'American Idol' Eye Roll | Celebrity and Hollywood News

______________________________ ______________________________ ___

honestly, I don't think Simon meant anything by it. He just didn't hear the last part and was confused by Chris's comment about nasally being a form of singing
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fogey

like i said before, Chris didn;t have to mention again since Ryan did a nice intro about it. i rolled my eyes after Chris's comment too

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;2337193;
    like i said before, Chris didn;t have to mention again since Ryan did a nice intro about it. i rolled my eyes after Chris's comment too
    I don't have a problem with Chris mentioning it since he does have friends that attend there. I'm sure he wanted them them to know he was thinking about them. You could tell that he was deeply affected by it since he was about ready to cry while he was saying it.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fogey

I can understand both sides of the argument on both Chris and Simon. With Chris, I think his comment on the surface did come across as rather politician-ish. It sounded akward, and was timed after a bit of a skewering from the judges. So I can understand where the response would come from thinking he was only saying it to win votes. However, given that he's from that area and is not well-versed in how to interact and address the public in a forum like that, I can also see where a very sincere and heart-felt message would have come across as sounding less sincere and heart-felt than it actually was.

On Simon, he's been so cynical in the past about contestants doing and saying things to win votes that I could believe the eye roll was in response to Chris' comment, and the story told on Seacrest's show was damage control. On the other hand, I can see where he'd check out of the discussions on the show that aren't about him rather quickly, and would have not been listening to Chris and Ryan by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2337220;
    I can understand both sides of the argument on both Chris and Simon. With Chris, I think his comment on the surface did come across as rather politician-ish. It sounded akward, and was timed after a bit of a skewering from the judges. .

Right, but was it his fault that he could not get a word in edgewise while the judges were arguing? I give everyone the benefit of the doubt at least once.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie;2337231;
    Right, but was it his fault that he could not get a word in edgewise while the judges were arguing? I give everyone the benefit of the doubt at least once.
    I wasn't placing blame on anyone - just stating that I can understand why different people would interpret the whole thing so differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2337245;
    I wasn't placing blame on anyone - just stating that I can understand why different people would interpret the whole thing so differently.
    Oh, I know that. I was just asking a question to those who think he did it to get votes. Sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was blaming you for anything

+ Reply to Thread