+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Simon, Randy, and Paula judging the AI3 auditions?

FORT Fan
    Doesn't seem like too many care, but for those interested, I found a story on this (from: http://www.accessatlanta.com/search/...wednesday.html):

In Los Angeles at the Rose Bowl this past Sunday, the talent show was able to vet 3,000 people in one day, with tents set up on the floor. Fox winnowed far more auditioners in a shorter amount of time than last year because it provided more producers to judge the early rounds.

Only a small percentage of "Idol" wannabes -- presumably the best and the worst -- will have a chance to sing before Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul in early September.

The show itself will run in early 2004; auditions are being held earlier than last year to accommodate Cowell, who is judging the U.K. "Pop Idol" show this fall (more details on www.idolonfox.com).

-----------------------------------
    My take on this: It is certainly more efficient to have the preliminary auditions only in front of the producers, especially if it means that they can screen more potential contestants. The only thing I don't like about this process is that they are going to drag this out another month with the people considered the "worst." They are leading on the "worst" to believe that they are worthy of another audition, only for them to get shot down by Simon and humiliated on national TV. It's one thing for these people to show up to auditions, spend a day there, and get instantly turned away. It's another thing for these people to show up to auditions, be asked to come back again, think that they could become stars for a month, then get instantly turned away after they get their hopes up.

TT, the contestants don't come back, they go through all of the auditions, including the ones with the judges for the cameras, on the same day. Only the ones going to Hollywood "come back".

FORT Fan
    John: Are you saying the process was the same last year?

I wasn't saying that they are coming back to Hollywood- I meant they are coming back to their original spot of audition to perform in front of Simon next month.

I was under the impression that during the past two shows, the contestants got to audition for Simon on the first day (right after making it past the producers)...rather than auditioning for producers, then coming back a month later to audition in front of Simon. I could be wrong though...

yeah John, because of new series of Pop Idol starting,theyre trying to get a lot of publicity for it,and so recently on some talk shows,theres been a few Pop idol top 10 from last series on them and they all said that they had 2 auditions before ever getting to see the judges.They had to have screening procedures with the producers to see if they were good enough entertainment for TV,and they had to sign contracts etc.
    I dont know if its the same for US though.Probably is since its the same producers.

FORT Fan
    On the first American Idol, all of the auditions were held on the same day, because only a total of 10,000 people showed up nationwide, which was manageable.

Now, they are not. If you make past assistant producers, you come back in a day or two to audition for executive producers. If you get the OK from them, the way I understand it, you have to wait until October to audition for Randy, Paula and Simon. I think for American Idol 2 the lag time was about a week.

This is to accommodate Simon's schedule mostly.

Also, it is far from certain if Paula Abdul is coming back. She wants a lot more money, and there are rumors that either Belinda Carlisle of the Go-Gos or Natalie Cole could replace Paula. Some talk about Jessica Simpson as well.

but if they sing in front of so many people why do they all send the bad ones?

Quote Originally Posted by starry night
    but if they sing in front of so many people why do they all send the bad ones?
    Because their personalities make for great television - heck, I still remember a couple of their names (Edgar & Keith)

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by refugee
    On the first American Idol, all of the auditions were held on the same day, because only a total of 10,000 people showed up nationwide, which was manageable.

Now, they are not. If you make past assistant producers, you come back in a day or two to audition for executive producers. If you get the OK from them, the way I understand it, you have to wait until October to audition for Randy, Paula and Simon. I think for American Idol 2 the lag time was about a week.

This is to accommodate Simon's schedule mostly.

Also, it is far from certain if Paula Abdul is coming back. She wants a lot more money, and there are rumors that either Belinda Carlisle of the Go-Gos or Natalie Cole could replace Paula. Some talk about Jessica Simpson as well.
    refugee- Thanks for finally clearing up the auditions process.

About the Paula Abdul rumors, I don't buy it. This is coming from the same source that says that Ryan Seacrest was responsible for breaking up Debbie Gibson and her fiance LOL.

Here's the link: http://www.z100.com/elvis_zoo/sleaze.html
    (the mere fact that it says "sleaze" in the URL should keep you from trusting it)

From z100.com:
    Speaking of American Idol, Paula Abdul is supposedly asking Fox for a hefty raise if they want her to come back for AI 3. Rumor has it that Fox might refuse Paula’s paycheck demands, because they are already having meetings with Natalie Cole and Belinda Carlisle! Fox is claiming that they are just looking for a 4th judge.
    Last edited by TheTruth; 08-13-2003 at 07:27 PM.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybunny
    Because their personalities make for great television - heck, I still remember a couple of their names (Edgar & Keith)
    What I want to know is what do the preliminary judges tell these guys when they audition. Do they say "Oh you were so good. You could be the next Madonna or Enrique. Simon is gonna love you." I can't picture these guys showing up to get humliated by Simon unless they can't see it coming.

I'm confused about this for a couple of reasons:
    1) I too wonder what they tell the people who are obviously not going to make the cut (ie: they'll be on the bloopers tape)--and what about the people who drive down from miles away and make it--I haven't heard any stories of people who had to do this for the second season...but then again I didn't pay much attention to it at the time

2) And this is the one that really confuses me: I have a friend right now who is in one of these regional pre-American Idol contests--where they eventually pick one winner and fly them all expenses paid to NYC to audition...and here's the thing: the prize is supposedly a "guaranteed audition in front of the American Idol judges"---ie Simon&gang. And this audition in NYC is taking place Aug. 25th--which would be too early for Simon's "schedule"...? I guess I always figured they did the whole shebang on one day...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast