+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just an idea

FORT Newbie

Just an idea

Were all talking about the fact that some people didn't get in that should have. I know I mentioned the idea of the pushy stage-parent (to be fair), but I was also thinking that one of the reasons that a child didn't make it through the audition process was because of their looks. Yes, Ruben made AI and is overweight, but were dealing with a performance band of children. When we consider talent, we think of singing ability, dancing ability, and stage presence. Although, the last part is a big factor in how children take to a performance band, there are other factors that adults just consider ridiculous. I don't say negative things about the kids, but I will make a point that I hope at least a few of you will agree with. A performance band of children is not based entirely on talent, but on saleability. Singing ability and dancing ability, is second to looks. The way I see it, children are the prime target of sales. Children, as we all realize are fickle. Looks are a big part of getting a group to sell. It would make no sense from a marketing standpoint to have a performance group targeted for the younger audiences, with members that aren't "poster material" (for a lack of a better term). I do think these kids have talent, its just that I don't think its the main concern of the producers. I honestly think that is the reason that some of the children, especially those that are overweight or just don't fit that pop-star look. I will acknowledge that Clay and Ruben both made it to the top spots on AI and that they don't fit the pop star image, but were dealing with adults. I honestly would download Clay's songs onto my MP3 player, but I wouldn't put a picture of him up. He's just not that attractive to me, as nice as he seems.

Why would anyone disagree that a certain part of *anyone's* appeal as a singer is looks-based over talent??? But unless they're singing behind a curtain, there's not getting around it. Sure, I'd rather have cute kids in the band versus not-so-cute kids. Wouldn't we all? But it's not the primary reason they get votes.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Why would anyone disagree that a certain part of *anyone's* appeal as a singer is looks-based over talent??? But unless they're singing behind a curtain, there's not getting around it. Sure, I'd rather have cute kids in the band versus not-so-cute kids. Wouldn't we all? But it's not the primary reason they get votes.

I'm a little confused as to what you are saying. I think there are various reasons for votes, but I wasn't speaking of the voting process. I was speaking of the process of the children moving up in the process. The talented or relatively talented cute kid vs. the extremely talented child that the producers and such don't see as fitting. For example as I have stated before, I think Lauren is a sweetheart, but she was trying out for a performance pop group. The problem is that she has the looks, voice, and demeanor of a theatre star. I don't understand how she would make it all the way to the semifinals without anyone realizing that factor.

I think having the "look" is part of the package. And whether they're kids or adults trying to make it, the whole package is unfortunately what gets you through, 99% of the time.

Looks, personality, talent, flexibility, and fortitude - and a few others I'm probably missing.

FORT Regular
    I'm sure they do care that the members can sing and dance well, but I'm sure the way the kids will look together is going to be a factor.

FORT Newbie
    Me too. I thought Lauren was adorable and really cute. Maybe she usually doesn't sing like that though, maybe she picked just the wrong song.

FORT Fanatic
    I think Clay actually lost (sorry girls who think he's hot) because he looks too much like a pushover/loser, while Ruben had the more "cool" look.

That's what you have here. Danielle is probably one of the more talented girls; but frankly, does she have the appeal of someone like Katelyn (who I think is pretty for her age, but not HOT or anything as she's far too young for my tastes) or even Jordan? The judges are also pushing it. They bring up looks - voters think it's okay to vote for the best-looking contestants.

FORT Fan
    I think the producers picked the 20 semi-finalists with looks in mind. They all are/were at least fairly good looking. And I agree, (not to sound shallow or anything), but looks are part of the entertainment package. But it's just one small part. Take for instance, Canyon. Really cute kid. Good stage presence. So-so vocal ability compared to some of the other semi-final contestants (not to offend anyone- I loved the guy myself). The majority of people considered him a shoe-in for the final 10 because of, above all else, his looks. Well, he didn't make it, did he? JMO...

Purported Perpetrator loincloth's Avatar
    Can anyone blame FOX for wanting a group that appears wholesome, healthy, and charming? Personally, I'm glad they aren't showcasing obesity as an OK trait of peer-aged role models. Obesity among pre-teen children in America has reached an alarming rate. I've worked with kids for over 20 years and am troubled by this trend, which has been significantly linked to a major increase in juvenile diabetes.

Really discouraging to me is that Disney seems to be featuring overweight kids as humorous and hip lately. They show the obese kid huffing and puffing trying to keep up, and then making self-deprecating quips to ward off teasing from the other kids. This ends up sending the message that it's ok to be fat if one can just learn to laugh at one's self about it.

Don't get me wrong, I do NOT think it's OK to tease overweight kids and I do not tolerate it amongst the children with whom I work. However, I also won't give my stamp of approval that being obese is OK. I do as best I can to make sure that the overweight kids do not end up eating part of someone else's snack or lunch.

As for Ruben, let's face it...the guy came off as a gentle giant. Although he was way overweight, his appearance overall did not say, "I'm a fat slob... gotta problem?"

Purported Perpetrator loincloth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GroveingIt
    Take for instance, Canyon. Really cute kid. Good stage presence. So-so vocal ability compared to some of the other semi-final contestants (not to offend anyone- I loved the guy myself). The majority of people considered him a shoe-in for the final 10 because of, above all else, his looks. Well, he didn't make it, did he? JMO...
    The topic of this thread was supposed to be confined to who FOX selected for the final 20, not who America voted for to reach the next round. The point is that FOX, via their auditioning process, eliminated any chance of a homely and/or obese child making it through to the final group.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast