+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Internet Polls

Even a "you can only vote once per day" poll can be broken by an anonymizer, which isn't too hard to use. But I agree, for most fans, it's not worth the trouble.

Originally posted by John
    Even a "you can only vote once per day" poll can be broken by an anonymizer, which isn't too hard to use. But I agree, for most fans, it's not worth the trouble.
    I'm in a computer lab right now, so if I was really determined , I could go from computer to computer to vote for Clay. But besides making me look stupid to the other people here, it
    just wouldn't be worth the bother. At this point I'm feeling sorry for the other bands since the website is more geared towards their sort of music. If I could vote again, I'd vote for one of them.

Sample bias invalidates internet polls

Even if an internet poll can't be "hacked," any poll where the sample of respondents is self-selected (volunteers) lacks validity for that reason.
    For a relatively small sample (the polled people) to be able to predict the behavior of a larger population (the music buying public), the sample has to be representative of that larger population. Ideally, the respondents would be selected "at random," meaning everyone in the larger population has an equal chance of being polled. (When that's not feasible, pollsters try the next best thing, e.g., trying to match sample respondents' demographics (age, gender, income, region, etc.) with those in the larger population.
    When volunteers make up the sample, it's hardly random, and it's also not been carefully matched to the population on demographic variables.

Since lots of people who buy CDs don't have computers, much less internet access, an internet poll would not be a representative sample of CD buyers even if the respondents were chosen at random from internet users.

Beyond that, those who have internet access don't "surf" it recreationally and even music-loving internet users may not seek, find, or bother responding to "polls."

So it may be fun to fill out and follow these polls, but don't be surprised if:
    (a) one poll has Clay beating Ruben by 30% and another has exactly the opposite,
    (b) actual CD sales bear no resemblance to what the internet polls led you to expect.

(Lecture over.)
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

thanks for putting things into perspective Grissibella im one of the people who will only vote once on internet polls anyways, cause i dont feel the need to vote more then once, but i know a lot of people dont care....its fun to see clay ahead, but its also important that we think realisticly..and in reality clay has a massive fan base, and people who love and adore him and he will kill when his cd comes out....but another reality is in the grand scheme of things he probably wont beat out metallica for a long time anyways
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Originally posted by clayalltheway
    ....but another reality is in the grand scheme of things he probably wont beat out metallica for a long time anyways
    That's true, we've got to be realistic and can't be too ambitious. Can't expect the boy to conquer the world in a few months... After all, metallica's been around for a long time and we've got to give them credit. In the meantime, we'll just have to satisfy our childish desires with a pathetic internet poll lol.

Originally posted by raleighclayfan
    John, that is funny! It will be intersting to see who comes in third.
    Thought the same thing..........I may be wrong but I think there is a lot more of us with Clayitis here .

Hug me!
    Honest to god, even thought I don't like metallica, I would vote for him just to get Clay's fans in check. And I believe I am not alone on this.
    "Charla is intelligent and beautiful and I just felt really stupid for picking ... for, you know... liking someone that wasn't available really.. certainly not to me." Quote from Dave (Paradise Hotel).

that doesnt make any sense ruben_of_205....thats just being as childish and immature as you claim "clay's fans" are...and if you can say all clay fans are like that, then i can say that all ruben's fans are exactly like the ones that post in the ruben thread at bolt...
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

FORT Newbie
    Don't forget that Metallica alienated a number of fans with their anti-piracy campaign (although I agree with Metallica). I don't see anything wrong with Clay winning this vote because he is the "hot commodity" right now and should be the leader in that poll.

Interesting sidenote, I was reading the Josh Groban website last night and saw fans that were very similar to those of Clay Aiken. Very dedicated and will buy his next album that he releases no matter what is included. That kind of fanbase goes a long way in creating alot of anticipation for an album coming out.

The reason I don't pay much attention to the results of internet polls is I don't usually bother with them and I figure a lot of people are the same way.
    Life's in technicolor
    Blues and reds so bright
    But in all the rainbows of the world
    I'm still in black and white.
    -A.C. Jones

+ Reply to Thread