+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 2/26 AI 13: Top 13 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 2/26 AI 13: Top 13 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

I hate that you can start voting at the beginning of the show. That just reinforces the fangirl/popularity contest aspect of it over the singing competition bit.
    I didn't get to hear them all but enjoyed Caleb way more than I expected and Sam way less. Now see... I wouldn't have known that if I'd voted before they sang.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I love Jessica but she needs to move around on stage a bit. She looked locked down behind that mic.
    I think she did just fine. Running around the stage would have distracted for me, I think. I never heard that song before, but I loved It, and she was my favorite of the night.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I enjoyed the show except for the crowd screaming. They have got to do something with the sound mix in this new space as I was getting a headache just from the noise. I want to hear the judges and Ryan and sometimes it was almost impossible.
    I don't know how you are hearing the show. It is broadcast in Surround & that's how I listen to it & it sounds really good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I hate that you can start voting at the beginning of the show. That just reinforces the fangirl/popularity contest aspect of it over the singing competition bit.
    I didn't get to hear them all but enjoyed Caleb way more than I expected and Sam way less. Now see... I wouldn't have known that if I'd voted before they sang.
    It really doesn't matter anymore when or how you vote, since they have limited the votes per device. I see it as more of a level playing field now.

Dexter was all right, but as Keith said, he is going to have to find a way to be Dexter & not Dexter singing someone elseís song.

Malaya, yikes! I just canít get behind this girl. Way to much goofy energy. I know she is young & thatís all a part of growing up, but she is not on the high school stage anymore. I think it would be a grand idea for her to play her tuba, that way we donít have to hear her sing.

I like Kristen, but I feel as though she has the least amount of support out there & may be the first one to exit stage right.

I thought Ben did exactly what Dexter didnít. He was able to do a well known song by a well known artist & put a new spin on it. Well done Ben!

CJ is going to live or die on his personality alone. His vocals are about mid pack, but I like me some Darius Rucker.

I was completely lost on MK. I didnít know the song, but I reckon it was done well. It sounded a bit Jazz which should be right up Harryís alley.

I am really on the fence with Majesty. Sometimes I really like her, sometimes I donít. She was good last night because she left the screech at home & just sang.

I really like Jena, I think she has a unique & interesting voice.

Alex is a great artist, loved the song choice, loved the performance. I hope he stretches a bit in the weeks to come.

JessicaÖ..best of the night so farÖ.by far!

Emily killed it & she squeaks past Jessica for best of the night. She simply slayed that one!

Sam is Archuletta reborn, with the same sweetness, but less of the vocal ability. I certainly hope he learns to sing better than that, because I would place him at the bottom with Kristen & Malaya.

Caleb wowed to end the show. But, how will he do when he has to dial it back a bit?

Best of the night for meÖ.Emily, Jessica, & Jena for the girls, Ben, Alex & Caleb for the guys.

Just based on the limited performances of last night, I know my opinion will change, but it should come down to Emily vs. Jessica. However, we'll probably have Sam vs. Caleb.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 02-27-2014 at 06:25 PM.

February 26, 2014: The Top Thirteen

1. Caleb Johnson. As a Rock & R&B fan, I am pleased to see an authentic old school classic rocker like Caleb alive and kicking in this competition, as all the authentic classic R&B singers are home now. Before tonight, I never heard of Rival Sons or Pressure & Time. Didnít know any thing about either. But I know Led Zeppelin like a book and the opening guitar riff to Pressure & Time sounded like Zeppelinís Out on the Tiles. After research, I confirmed it. Jimmy Page actually praised Rival Sons for their dedication to the Zeppelin sound. There are a couple extra licks in the opening guitar riff to Pressure & Time but its classic Zeppelin, and, since Zeppelin approves of it, everybodyís happy. Even Sara Bareilles approved Katy Perryís Roar, a melody clearly stolen from Bareillesí Brave. I loved this performance on so many levels; great vocal, good music (thank you, Ricky Minor), an arena-like performance that Caleb Johnson nailed shut. Is it the equal of Adam Lambertís Whole Lotta Love or Bo Biceís Whipping Post or James Durbinís Uprising? I donít think so; not yet, but itís in the conversation of Idol's Best Rock Performances. . And, I now have my very first entry to the Best Idol Performances of Season Thirteen. Great job, Caleb (he sounds like Leslie West, lead singer for Mountain). That song is very much Caleb. In my opinion, this is the first truly great performance of season thirteen. What a terrific young singer! By the way, the song is about the dues we pay to achieve success, and, the struggle required to overcome obstacles that stand in the way of realizing our dreams.
    2. Majesty Rose. Tightrope is a great song with a wonderful, message-oriented lyric (coping with the delicate balance of lifeís vicissitudes; e.g., tight rope). Janelle Monae is a breath of fresh air; one of the pioneering faces of Contemporary and New Age R&B. Her style borrows the best of Amy Winehouse and The Pointer Sisters. This was another terrific performance by the talented, lovable, and adorable Majesty Rose. She gets it! She understands that talent AND entertainment must mesh in order to win this title. I loved every second of this performance. Great job, Majesty! This performance will likely end up on my list of the Best Performances of Season Thirteen as well. This song and this singer were perfect together. Even the huge hair matched!
    3. MK Nobilette. Satisfaction appears to be about a man victimized by unappreciated and unreciprocated love. Alan Stone is a blue eyed Soul Singer. The judges loved this performance more than I did. There was nothing wrong here; it was a good vocal, good fun, it was quirky, and it was pleasant. I just think this was a wasted opportunity because this performance didn't match her last and lacked memorable moments. She is here at #3 because I love her artistry and individualism; much more so than this performance.
    4. Alex Preston. A Beautiful Mess is a celebration of the power of love, and the willingness to remain committed to that love even in the midst of imperfection, adversity, and hardship. The lyric is beautifully constructed. It is a wonderful song. Alex did a good job. I disagree with Harry (I agree with Jenny and Keith); Alex was clearly connected with his lyric. He is likely to struggle from time to time with projecting lyrics and emotion because he is an introvert and performing for millions of people is, I would think, an uncomforted experience for an introvert. I just like this kid. I admire his talent. And I think heís a terrific young singer and a true artist. Something else I noticed tonight. Alex is more James Blunt than Damien Rice. Damien is clearly a tortured soul but is not shy at all whereas James Blunt is clearly shy but otherwise content. Last week I suggested Damien Riceís Delicate for Alex but after tonight, I begin to wonder whether the James Blunt songbook might serve him better; e.g., Youíre Beautiful, Goodbye My Lover, or Carry Me Home. Those lyrics are a natural part of who he is as a person so there's no need to act out or project because the lyric will be manifested naturally as an extension of his true self.
    5. Jena Irene. I would never have brought this song to the Idol stage because itís not a competition song but she sang it well, so thereís little to complain about here. With the exception of the four listed above, I didnít care much for the other nine performances. But in my opinion, this was the fifth best performance of the night.
    6. Emily Piriz. Didnít like this performance much either. Again, nothing wrong here. It was a good vocal; Emily is a good singer, and it was also an accurate copy of the original. I know the judges agreed on this performance and they certainly know more about music than I ever will but I found it boring. Iím sorry.
    7. Sam Wolfe. For me, because I had such high expectations, this was probably the most disappointing performance of the evening. Unwell is a song that barely stands up on its own so cannot withstand re-creation and adaptation, especially if that rearrangement results in a painfully slow tempo. Rob Thomas is a good guy and a good pop singer but in my opinion, not a great artist. If Sam Wolfe is indeed who we think he is, why did he pick this song? Does the song truly reflect who he is as an artist? Heís his own man and gets to make his own decisions. He must follow his dreams and do what he thinks is in his best interest, and we get no say in the matter, but I honestly think this kid is too talented for Unwell.
    8. Ben Briley. I love this kid and I love Johnny Cash, but, Folsom Prison Blues in double time and weak tonal integrity? I didnít get it and as a result, I didnít like it very much.
    9. Kristin OíConnor. I need to amend something I said last week. While I still think Kristin is studio ready, she lacks both stage presence and star quality. Sheís a good singer; the foundation, the vehicle, is there. Stage presence and/or star quality can be created by A&R teams; thatís what they do. But that wonít help her in this competition. She looks uncertain and scared to death on the Idol stage and she will need to get that fixed if she is to become a major player in this competition.
    10. Dexter Roberts. I like this kid too. He seems like a good guy. And a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I couldnít understand what he was saying. His enunciation was fine in the entrance and exit interviews but when he started singing, I couldnít understand anything, so could not engage in or enjoy this performance.
    11. Jessica Meuse. I actually love this kid but this song, unlike last weekís, lacked discernible melody. And I didnít understand the lyrics. For me, this was a difficult listen so I didn't enjoy it very much.
    12. Malaya Watson. She looks good on stage and she got a great, great personality, but Runaway Baby? In my opinion, this is not a good composition and pales in comparison to some others here. It lacks substance. But I admit, Malaya is loaded with charm and stage presence.
    12. C. J. Harris. Radio is okay but there are a ton of songs in the Darius Rucker songbook that are more interesting and offer a lot more emotion than Radio. Yes, it's a good listen while driving or out having fun, and I do think CJ did a good job with it, but simple melodies that lack emotional content will not help you win American Idol. A contestant absolutely must establish a body of work that is memorable and remains in viewers heads and hearts for months. Radio cannot do that. I'm still not sold on C.J., so I wasn't as interested in this performance as some others.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 02-27-2014 at 07:27 AM.
    waywyrd likes this.

I have just one further comment....it was great that there were so many heretofore unperformed on the Idol stage, songs. A lot of new stuff & not the same old Beyonce & Whitney Houston crapola.
    ibot2much and ilja like this.

FORT Fogey

I would like to make a couple of personal observations. The first is that these kids were told to pick songs that "represented themselves"; therefore, some of them picked songs like Radio which reflected back on when CJ used to love in his younger years to ride around in the car and listen to the songs on the radio which later influenced probably everything about his mindset on music. I understood exactly where he was coming from because I came from an era when radio was huge in both the house and the car ( let me tell on myself....we thought tapes in the car in their early years were some kind of mind-blowing magic!!)
    Did this song play CJ's talent and ability up to its full potential? I too doubt it as well as Keith and others who have mentioned his choice, but did he do as he was instructed to do? The obviously answer is yes!
    With that in mind, I would hate to see CJ or any one of the others who didn't do as well as previously because of choice of song eliminated when he/she was only doing as the contestants were instructed to do.

I personally think the judges need to pay more attention to what is involved in the theme for the night. Last season Keith made a remark to one of the first few contestants who sang about choosing a song that wasn't so very old when come to find out, the list of songs that the contestants had to choose from all came from that era of time. The judges simply had not made themselves knowlegeable enough about the theme of the night.

While I got tired to hearing Harry remark about contestants being off pitch when I couldn't hear it, Harry appears to be the only one of the 3 who is willing to offer the contestants any constructive critique that isn't cloaked praise. The nature of this show is that somebody has to go each week, and unfortunately, they are going to be totally unprepared if they hear all praise and flowers each week, except for, "You have to find a way to make yourself different." People like who they like whether they are different or not as we see with Sam who is not different at all....he is just a very cute 17 year old boy who plays the guitar who has a fairly good voice and a sweet personality. He was not a standout in any way last night, but a dollar to a doughnut, he already has a large fanbase regardless.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I enjoyed the show except for the crowd screaming. They have got to do something with the sound mix in this new space as I was getting a headache just from the noise. I want to hear the judges and Ryan and sometimes it was almost impossible.
    We said the same thing. I think its the new set up. The x factor had the same problem, many viewers complained and they dialed it back..
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

And the waving of the arms in the air---hate that. I have noticed that they change the camera angle when it gets distracting.
    It is a stupid move so just tell the audience not to do it.

I am also glad tht they stopped that long run from the back room. Still think that going down stairs with a path through the audience to go up stairs to the lounge is dumb...but a slight improvement over the long run.

I almost forgot that they are using stylists....not a lot of evidence that anybody worked with several of the kids

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I have just one further comment....it was great that there were so many heretofore unperformed on the Idol stage, songs. A lot of new stuff & not the same old Beyonce & Whitney Houston crapola.
    Amen to that!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    And the waving of the arms in the air---hate that. I have noticed that they change the camera angle when it gets distracting.
    It is a stupid move so just tell the audience not to do it.

I am also glad tht they stopped that long run from the back room. Still think that going down stairs with a path through the audience to go up stairs to the lounge is dumb...but a slight improvement over the long run.

I almost forgot that they are using stylists....not a lot of evidence that anybody worked with several of the kids
    It looks like the producers are making a big effort to get a lot more audience involvement. It did occur to me last week when the kids came through the tunnel from the backstage chamber and then again this week as they ran again back up on the platform touching palms to question if the people with whom they are making contact are carefully selected rather than just random seated. I know everyone is carefully screened before going in, but nobody has any idea about those hands....delicately stating for starters, were they washed after the trip to the public restroom? Also, who even gets the privilege of making that contact?
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

+ Reply to Thread