+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: American Idol 13 NEWS

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Re: American Idol 13 NEWS

AI will let fans cast votes via google

They're finally getting social media savvy, which is good. It will be interesting to see the demographic and geographic breakdowns of voters. As I understand it, live voting results will also be displayed. While the westcoast always feels left out of live voting via social media, this seems to give the west coast an advantage since they can see results and vote accordingly. Sounds interesting to me, can't wait to see how this all shakes out.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Jessica Basset was the contestant many of us thought should have gone through, but was turned down by both male judges. Well, Ellen DeGeneres agrees with us and has featured her twice on her show and put an original song of hers on iTunes for people to buy.
    The Incredible Jessica Bassett - YouTube
    In other news, Simon Cowell's show, X Factor, has been canceled.
    ilja, JohnnyK and Jaceegirl like this.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Jessica Basset was the contestant many of us thought should have gone through, but was turned down by both male judges. Well, Ellen DeGeneres agrees with us and has featured her twice on her show and put an original song of hers on iTunes for people to buy.
    The Incredible Jessica Bassett - YouTube
    In other news, Simon Cowell's show, X Factor, has been canceled.
    Indeed, they may have let go of a good one and taken through some others who were weaker. Jessica has a good look and sound which I enjoyed. The only thing which bothered me was the way she broke on the two "ike" words which didn't seem necessary and interrupted a beautiful flow. Now would that particular song about a girl's best friend sell to guys 20 and up? I don't know, I tend to question that, but I can see how sentimentally women of many ages would respond to it. Nevertheless, I think that Jessica has a lot of abilility and potential, and I think she influentially scored big for herself when she found Ellen in her corner. Good for her! I love to see young kids with talent find a break.
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    Indeed, they may have let go of a good one and taken through some others who were weaker. Jessica has a good look and sound which I enjoyed. The only thing which bothered me was the way she broke on the two "ike" words which didn't seem necessary and interrupted a beautiful flow. Now would that particular song about a girl's best friend sell to guys 20 and up? I don't know, I tend to question that, but I can see how sentimentally women of many ages would respond to it. Nevertheless, I think that Jessica has a lot of abilility and potential, and I think she influentially scored big for herself when she found Ellen in her corner. Good for her! I love to see young kids with talent find a break.
    Thank you Gutmutter for sharing this video with us. I have yet to see AI so can't compare her with some of the other talent, but I really liked this song and she is a beautiful girl.

Bloomers I so agree with the bolded regarding having Ellen in her corner. Like you, I love to see young kids with talent get a break and hopefully this will be a case of when one door closes another opens up. I love Ellen and what she does when she believes in something or someone.

Isn't this the same Jillian Jensen from an earlier season of X-Factor? She was bullied as a kid and was mentored by Demi and she was the last girl cut which everyone thought was a big mistake (Demi selected inferior singers like Willie Jones, Paige Thomas, and CeCe Frey).

I Hope They Say Yes - AMERICAN IDOL SEASON XIII - YouTube

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    Isn't this the same Jillian Jensen from an earlier season of X-Factor? She was bullied as a kid and was mentored by Demi and she was the last girl cut which everyone thought was a big mistake (Demi selected inferior singers like Willie Jones, Paige Thomas, and CeCe Frey).

I Hope They Say Yes - AMERICAN IDOL SEASON XIII - YouTube

I think you are right.
    'X Factor' U.S. alum Jillian Jensen makes it to the Top 32 on 'American Idol' - National The X Factor | Examiner.com

I remember that!

Not sure where else to post it, but I'm really enjoying this season of Idol. I like the abbreviated version, although it might be going even a little too fast for me, because the "content" is good. Great singers, great judges, etc. It remains the best singing competition - with the most talent - out there.

After next week's cuts, we'll be able to discern who gets the pimp slots - and who remains as chittlins only (a line from House of Cards which I just watched for the first time!).

I think the 3 judges in place are a fantastic blend. They can agree and disagree rationally and seem to complement each other very well.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    I think you are right.
    'X Factor' U.S. alum Jillian Jensen makes it to the Top 32 on 'American Idol' - National The X Factor | Examiner.com

I remember that!

Not sure where else to post it, but I'm really enjoying this season of Idol. I like the abbreviated version, although it might be going even a little too fast for me, because the "content" is good. Great singers, great judges, etc. It remains the best singing competition - with the most talent - out there.

After next week's cuts, we'll be able to discern who gets the pimp slots - and who remains as chittlins only (a line from House of Cards which I just watched for the first time!).

I think the 3 judges in place are a fantastic blend. They can agree and disagree rationally and seem to complement each other very well.
    In the past the judges have pushed agendas. When this has been done, the best overall result sometimes happens - as the saying goes, "Even a blind boar finds an occasional acorn in the woods" - but more often it does not.
    Now, if the the current 3 judges can avoid the temptation - which appears to me to already be there considering a few choices they made over other very desirable ones - to push agendas, either their own personal ones or the producers' and just let the results happen the way that the voters decide, we will have a very good season with a winner who has every chance at being successful.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    All this is SOOO subjective. And not just based on the performer's voice. Talk about pushing one's personal agenda! Ellen definitely does that - and fairly often. I really like Ellen and generally don't disagree with her agenda, but in this case, I don't know that the girl has anything more special than anyone else who was put through.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My theory on Idol has always been that show stakeholders a) don't want to churn out people who don't sell well afterwards because it diminishes the credibility of the show as a producer of "stars" and b) they don't want poor ratings because that is how they make their money.

To deal with both issues, I think they identify a handful of singers they think would have good post-Idol careers and surround them by others who are good enough to make the audience NOT question their presence but who are not good enough to win.

This way, when it comes time to audience voting, the choice is pretty clear and the show producers' favorites advance.

Based on this theory (which I stand by!) the show producers probably don't think Jessica has post-show possibility and that was too good for audience voting, i.e. she could get voted through over those producers think DO have post-show possibility.

And, looking at the Top 30, I think it's pretty clear who will stay and who will go.
    Last edited by Jexter; 02-14-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    All this is SOOO subjective. And not just based on the performer's voice. Talk about pushing one's personal agenda! Ellen definitely does that - and fairly often. I really like Ellen and generally don't disagree with her agenda, but in this case, I don't know that the girl has anything more special than anyone else who was put through.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My theory on Idol has always been that show stakeholders a) don't want to churn out people who don't sell well afterwards because it diminishes the credibility of the show as a producer of "stars" and b) they don't want poor ratings because that is how they make their money.

To deal with both issues, I think they identify a handful of singers they think would have good post-Idol careers and surround them by others who are good enough to make the audience NOT question their presence but who are not good enough to win.

This way, when it comes time to audience voting, the choice is pretty clear and the show producers' favorites advance.

Based on this theory (which I stand by!) the show producers probably don't think Jessica has post-show possibility and that was too good for audience voting, i.e. she could get voted through over those producers think DO have post-show possibility.

And, looking at the Top 30, I think it's pretty clear who will stay and who will go.
    I agree with your theory, it seems very obvious to me that's what they're doing. However, it doesn't always work the way they intend - or we wouldn't have winners like Taylor Hicks for example
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I agree with your theory, it seems very obvious to me that's what they're doing. However, it doesn't always work the way they intend - or we wouldn't have winners like Taylor Hicks for example
    Agreed.

+ Reply to Thread