+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: American Idol 13 NEWS

Re: American Idol 13 NEWS

Here is an interesting & hopeful article on the new season.

8 ways 'American Idol' could be better than last season

8 ways 'American Idol' could be better than last season

Die-hard American Idol fans got an early look at the show's 13th season at movie theaters across the country Tuesday night. If the response of the audience coming out of the Nashville screening was any indication, the show's new producers may have fixed many of the problems that caused a precipitous drop in viewers last season.

American Idol XIII premieres Wednesday (8 p.m. ET/PT, FOX) with auditions from Boston and Austin, Texas. If the season's first episode is a sign of things to come, the new season has improved in several ways. Here's a list:

It's funny. And genuinely funny, too. Not that fake bad-contestant crap. Laughing at that stuff always feels staged at best, a little shameful and soul-deadening at worst. Surely there will still be some of those, but with a judges' trio that's witty and more than a little goofy, the show can get healthier laughs, and more of them.

Judges' chemistry. There's a scene early in Wednesday's premiere where Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr. are sprawled out on a couch together, practically sitting on top of each other. By this point last season, viewers already would have expected Nikki MInaj to slit Mariah Carey's throat before she would have sat in her lap. The contestants felt that tension throughout the season. These three should make everyone's lives easier.

Lifting the veil of social-media secrecy. Idol stumbled badly in the social-media realm, trying to scrub all public traces of singers who already had thriving online audiences. That sort of nonsense gave younger viewers one more reason to tune out the show. Meanwhile, upstarts The Voice and The X Factor embraced that world and gave themselves a marketing edge. The Twitter feeds for those two shows have about 2.5 million followers each, while Idol has slightly more than a million. Idol producers seem to finally have loosened their grip on what contestants can say before the shows. It's about time.

Bye-bye backstories. Nobody's pregnant wife is dying of cancer. Nobody has to win to save the family farm. Nobody's homeless. Or maybe they are, and Idol just decided not to tell us yet. The pre-audition segments have all but vanished from this season's first episode, and the ones that remain essentially amount to one guy having ADHD and another guy being raised by his grandparents. That's not to say there aren't some great stories being told — Austin Percario's relationship with his stage mother just begs for development throughout the season — but they all have a direct bearing on the audition and the way each singer relates to his or her music. In other words, more singing, more character, more personality, less ham-fisted emotional manipulation.

J-Lo > Mariah Carey +/- Nikki Minaj. This has nothing to do with their respective abilities as performers. As a judge, however, Lopez is articulate, sweet and attentive — all things Carey, who often appeared to live in her own little universe at the end of the table, was not. Even if you liked the way Carey and Minaj sniped at each other, Lopez plays straight woman to cut-ups Connick and Urban better than Carey and Minaj bickered.

You don't miss Randy Jackson at all. I have tremendous respect for Jackson as a person and a developer of talent, but he ran out of things to say about three seasons ago. Hopefully, he'll find new focus in his role as a mentor this season. Frankly, he would have just gotten in the way of this crew of judges.

Harry Connick Jr. It's hard to overstate the impact Connick could have on the quality of Idol. He's good-looking. He's really, really funny. He's maybe the most musical knowledgeable judge the show has had. And he has little patience for singers who are all flash and no substance. In the premiere episode, he rails against the "smoke and mirrors of pentatonics," the five-note scales favored by run-crazy, training-wheels divas. He's going to hold singers to a higher standard throughout the season, and he could reshape the voting habits of viewers while doing it.

Munfarid Zaidi. There's no way Zaidi — who's from Pakistan by way of Sugarland, Texas — makes it as far as the semi-finals. But he's that rarest of auditioners, the complete geek who's actually good enough to get to Hollywood. A bespectacled kid in turquoise shorts, he makes such a big deal out of singing in front of Connick (while everyone else has had eyes only for Lopez) that somehow Connick winds up promising that if Zaidi blows away the panel with his first song, he'll actually pick Zaidi up and cradle the kid in his arms while he sings a second song. It's maybe the funniest Idol audition in the show's 13 seasons, but here's the thing: Zaidi doesn't come across as a human prop, he's more like a newly introduced fourth member of a comedy improv group. If these judges can keep that level of camaraderie with the contestants once the live episodes start, it could totally upend the dynamic of this show.

Wow! and Wow! Can't wait.
    NCLurker likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Looking forward to tonight!!
    NCLurker likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

If I had read this before I watched the first episode, I would have been hugely skeptical. While I was a little uncomfortable watching Harry pick up that kid, it was awfully funny.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    MJ's Big Blog has posted the entire schedule for this season. Looks like some format changes, a moveof the Finale to NYC & a 1 hour special devoted to Candice Glover( Woe is me)

Auditions

Wednesday, Jan. 15 (8:00-10:00 PM) Season Premiere, Part 1 Boston, MA
    Thursday, Jan. 16 (8:00-10:00 PM) Season Premiere, Part 2 Austin, TX
    Wednesday, Jan. 22 (8:00-10:00 PM) Detroit, MI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Thursday, Jan. 23 (8:00-9:00 PM) Atlanta, GA
    Wednesday, Jan. 29 (8:00-10:00 PM) Omaha, NE & San Francisco, CA
    Thursday, Jan. 30 (8:00-9:00 PM) The Road to Hollywood

Hollywood

Wednesday, Feb. 5 (8:00-10:00 PM) Hollywood Week, Part 1
    Thursday, Feb. 6 (8:00-9:00 PM) Hollywood Week, Part 2
    Wednesday, Feb. 12 (8:00-10:00 PM) Hollywood Week, Part 3
    Thursday, Feb. 13 (8:00-9:00 PM) The Green Mile; Semifinalists Revealed

Candice Glover Special

Tuesday, Feb. 18 (8:00-9:00 PM) Candice Glover: Up Close and Personal. Sponsored by iTunes.

Semi-finals

Wednesday, Feb. 19 (8:00-10:00 PM) Semifinalists in the Senior Division, Ages 22 & Over, Perform; Voting Begins
    Thursday, Feb. 20 (8:00-10:00 PM) Semifinalists in the Intermediate Division, Ages 18 to 21, Perform
    Wednesday, Feb. 26 (8:00-10:00 PM) Semifinalists in the Junior Division, Ages 17 & Under, Perform
    Thursday, Feb. 27 (8:00-10:00 PM) LIVE Results Show; Top 16 Revealed
    Wednesday, March 5 (8:00-10:30 PM) Top 16 Semifinalists Perform & Fast Passes Awarded LIVE
    Thursday, March 6 (8:00-10:00 PM) LIVE Results Show; Top 12 Completed

Finals

Wednesdays, beginning March 12 (8:00-10:00 PM) Finalists Perform LIVE
    Thursdays, beginning March 13 (8:00-8:30 PM) LIVE Results Show (39 minute episodes)
    Thursday, May 15 (8:00-9:00 PM) LIVE Results Show; Final 2 Revealed (500th Episode)

Finale

Tuesday, May 20 (8:00-9:00 PM) LIVE Season Finale, Part 1 Final 2 Perform (Special Tuesday Airing)
    Wednesday, May 21 (8:00-10:00 PM) LIVE Season Finale, Part 2 Winner Announced
    I just want to bump this... hope that's ok.
    Wait... didn't we already see San Francisco?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I just want to bump this... hope that's ok.
    Wait... didn't we already see San Francisco?
    It seems as though they have altered the schedule. Boston was only an hour instead of 2, Austin was split over two shows & San Francisco has been seen, at least in part. I don't know if there will be more San Francisco or not. If the schedule above is incorrect, I hope it is also incorrect about the Candice Glover Special...that is one hour I can live without.

Notice that it is on a different night, not instead of one of the AI shows.
    Count your blessings!

Here's a pretty funny interview from Harry. The guy sure is quick witted, as we have seen already. Check it out!

Stupid Questions with 'American Idol' judge Harry Connick Jr. | Inside TV | EW.com

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Here's a pretty funny interview from Harry. The guy sure is quick witted, as we have seen already. Check it out!

Stupid Questions with 'American Idol' judge Harry Connick Jr. | Inside TV | EW.com
    Is he ever serious? No? Awesome, I love it! Drinking tube and his own personal runway. LMAO.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread