+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: American Idol 13 NEWS

Re: American Idol 13 NEWS

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I don't think they want anything to do with anything that resembles X Factor. That show has really tanked, especially this year, & has yet to produce a star of any renown.

The NY Times has a pretty good article, if anyone is interested:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/ar...s&emc=rss&_r=0
    But what exactly is possible with a fading hit in its 13th year? “As it continues to get older, you just kind of want it to age gracefully,” Mr. Reilly said. He noted that other aging reality shows like “Survivor” and “The Bachelor” had seen their ratings erode and managed to “flatten out to a level of audience that kind of sustains.”

“Our goal is to do a good job and keep millions of core fans who love ‘Idol,’ just keep them engaged and sort of flatten it out,” he said.

That doesn’t sound much like the cultural phenomenon the show once was. But Mr. Reilly said the time had come for realism. “We’ll be down again this season, just naturally because of the marketplace,” he said. “In a reasonable decline, I will be thrilled. Will ‘Idol” continue to be the centerpiece, the tent pole, of the network? Will it be on as many hours as it has been in the past?

“Perhaps not. We’ll see where we are after this season. I just want it to be a vibrant, alive franchise that people love — for as long as it can go.”
    This is the conclusion of the article and I like that Fox is being realistic. So many of the older shows have seen a decline in viewership, but if they can keep a core group (flatline) that should be enough.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Wednesday, March 5 (8:00-10:30 PM) Top 16 Semifinalists Perform & Fast Passes Awarded LIVE
    Thursday, March 6 (8:00-10:00 PM) LIVE Results Show; Top 12 Completed

16 performances in one show? How will they accomplish that in 2 hours? Poor Ryan, no more loooooooong drawn out announcements.

I'm excited for the show just to see Harry and Keith. I may have to record and just watch those segments. 5 months long competition plus the Voice starting back up in Feb. Way too much music shows for me.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

I hope they can revive AI, its falling apart, and its ratings have dropped .I think Keith and Harry may help, but they lost a lot of viewers, to the voice and other shows
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I hope they can revive AI, its falling apart, and its ratings have dropped .I think Keith and Harry may help, but they lost a lot of viewers, to the voice and other shows
    I'm not so sure that was the case. I think it has more to do with the Voice being on twice a year & X Factor is nothing but an Idol knock off & that show is tanking big time. Fox has not made a commitment to X Factor for another season yet. I think it has more to do with over saturation & of course Nikki & Mariah turned people away in droves.
    Arielflies likes this.

I'm not so sure that was the case. I think it has more to do with the Voice being on twice a year & X Factor is nothing but an Idol knock off & that show is tanking big time. Fox has not made a commitment to X Factor for another season yet. I think it has more to do with over saturation & of course Nikki & Mariah turned people away in droves.
    I think AI did see( and there is nothing wrong with that) that the over 20's did well on the X factor and decided they needed to do it. I will see how it goes, I may tune in now and then, I did last season and it was terrible.., and hopefully it wont be the J'lo show as it was before..
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I think AI did see( and there is nothing wrong with that) that the over 20's did well on the X factor and decided they needed to do it. I will see how it goes, I may tune in now and then, I did last season and it was terrible.., and hopefully it wont be the J'lo show as it was before..
    From the audition snippets they have shown us, the 3 judges are having an absolute blast. It looks to me like they are entertaining themselves, and when it is shown to us, if it is half as appealing, I think things are going to be ok. It is going to beat the heck out of one of the female judges deliberately trying to antagonize the other one which only made me uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    From the audition snippets they have shown us, the 3 judges are having an absolute blast. It looks to me like they are entertaining themselves, and when it is shown to us, if it is half as appealing, I think things are going to be ok. It is going to beat the heck out of one of the female judges deliberately trying to antagonize the other one which only made me uncomfortable.
    I agree. It sure cant get any worse than it was.
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Deliberately putting the two women together to argue gave them what they deserved...a lousy show.

For me, personally, it was the lack of anyone I cared to listen to coupled with the judging situation, coupled with the shows were just too long. I'm tuning in this season, I think it has promise to be better. If not, I can always turn it off again. There really isn't anything much else on to watch (that I want to watch), and I do like the music shows when they focus on the contestants and not the judges and the drama.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    Deliberately putting the two women together to argue gave them what they deserved...a lousy show.

Maybe they needed to knock it down, in order to build it up? it happens, but I do know they lost a lot of their viewers to the voice
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread