+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Ruben and Clay Are Going To Need To Learn

Now that Clay is, as he says, picking out his own clothes, he needs to learn what really looks good on him and what REALLY makes him look dorky. The tan suit is a prime example; some fans like it [they'd probably love him in a bathrobe ], but lots of us hate it, even though we're Clayzies. Wiser course: wear stuff that doesn't draw a lot of negatives even from your fans.
    And Clay needs to get a lower maintenance hairstyle so he can do it right and not spend hours on it.
    Re the music itself, I hope Clay will push the record company NOT to have the background music upstage his gorgeous voice. That's mostly what his fans fell in love with, and we want to hear it. The alleged "studio version" of This Is The Night which has been posted on the net is WAY overproduced and IMO lacks emotional charge in addition to masking Clay's distinctive vocal strengths.
    Clay, and RCA, remember it was the way Clay looked and sounded on AI that won our hearts. Please don't change either too much in the CDs and videos.
    And, yes, Clay's cute when he does the clown bit, but he also became a heartthrob on AI. Please don't let the management company or Clay forget that.

I do hope both guys can resist the many unhealthy or unsavory temptations that are already being waved before their eyes. And they both need to keep thick skins where the tabloids are concerned.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Originally posted by Grisabella
    Now that Clay is, as he says, picking out his own clothes, he needs to learn what really looks good on him and what REALLY makes him look dorky.
    During his audition Clay looked like many guys I see at university... a sort of studious yet casual, relaxed look. Dressing up for television interviews it new to him, and like any new skill it will take some time. Personally, though, what I think is most appealing to fans about both Clay and Ruben is that they seem to just be themselves on television. Their image is not manufactured. So, I don't really mind if they're not perfectly "packaged" as long as they're sincere. It makes them easier to relate to. For example, when I hear Clay talk about how difficult it is to do his hair, that reminds me of days that I'm running late to work and I have to make my hair look presentable.

And, yes, Clay's cute when he does the clown bit, but he also became a heartthrob on AI. Please don't let the management company or Clay forget that.
    [/B]
    I'm going to have to take the opposite stance on this topic. I think when he jokes around, he's just being himself. In interviews his friends have mentioned that he naturally is a funny, goofy guy. I wouldn't want him to present himself in a way that isn't natural to him just to please the fans. Anyway, I think one the keys to success for both these guys is that they just seem to have such confidence about them, without feeling the need to conform too much. (and yes, Clay did have the makeover, so he did conform somewhat, but he also had an aura of confidence from the very beginning, before the makeover)

I agree that Ruben and Clay have to just stay themselves. That's what people liked about them from the beginning. You didn't feel like they were one way on camera and another off of the camera. I saw Ruben say on some interview that all of the fame and attention will be fine as long as he stays himself, and his mother and brother will be making sure he does. I also like the comment that Ruben made in one of the magazines while in New York after a man came up and shoved two pictures in front of him for an autograph. The guy then left without even a please or a thank you. Ruben obliged, but after the guy left Ruben said something like "my mama always told me you should say please for whatever you want in life. I won't be letting that happen again." (again, this is not an exact quote). I thought it was kind of cute.

I think they'll both have to learn to decline fans in a tactful way when they just don't want to do anymore autographs or want to be left alone. That has got to be the worst part of celebrity. You don't want to upset fans, but you want a life too.
    Last edited by clay crazy; 05-30-2003 at 05:54 PM.

Judging from the Rolling Stone article, I think Clay may need to learn when not to comment on some subjects. For the most part he already seems pretty savvy about that. ("I'm so sly!" - Clay Aiken quote from RS, after they tried to get him to say whether he was a virgin and whether he's 'master of his own domain') But whatever he said to the interviewer that prompted RS to report that Clay "bites his toenails" and "quit 3 weeks ago" is something he just may wish he hadn't "shared."

Sandy

...they'd probably love him in a bathrobe
    Good God woman, who wouldn't!

Spring & Fall: Preferred
    <b>What Ruben and Clay Are Going To Need To Learn </b>

In the words of Ricky Nelson:

You can't please everyone
    So you've got to please yourself

crysma
    "And, yes, Clay's cute when he does the clown bit, but he also became a heartthrob on AI. Please don't let the management company or Clay forget that."

I'm going to have to take the opposite stance on this topic. I think when he jokes around, he's just being himself. In interviews his friends have mentioned that he naturally is a funny, goofy guy. I wouldn't want him to present himself in a way that isn't natural to him just to please the fans.
    No disagreement, really. Clay's wonderful when he clowns around. "Grease" is a prime example, and he was hilarious in that "Must Be The Money" Ford commercial.

But I think Clay's most superb "moment" on AI2 was "Bridge Over Troubled Water." Not only did he OWN the stage, but he looked like anything BUT the class clown. He looked and sounded confident, mature, and to-die-for gorgeous, without seeming too "old" for the pop market, IMO. That performance showed his true STAR quality. That's the Clay I don't want to see lost and totally REPLACED or UPSTAGED by an overgrown kid who sits with his legs folded under him on major TV shows and always makes funny faces.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Very good pepper!!! I agree with Majih! He needs to learn my phone number and address!!

FORT Fan
    It's been two months since AI2 ended, and time for an evaluation on what's been learned and what still needs to be learned.

Clay didn't heed my warning (no one ever does!) and started his foundation. It still seems too ambitious for me, but at least it's a mistake of goodness, and there's always a chance it isn't a mistake at all. Rumor has it RCA is very optimitic about Clay's future, and he does seem to have hired a good law firm. So maybe he'll be able to afford the Bubel Foundation (and more power to him for naming it for the Bubels and not himself).

TPTB have, in my opinion, grossly overestimated the importance of Simon to AI and overpaid him accordingly. You know how some baseball teams put all their money into one or two over the hill free agents, leaving themselves nothing for developing new talent? That's the feeling I get here. Simon was definitely needed to get the transition going from AI 1 to AI2, but it was the contestants that made AI2 the success it was (and I very much include Josh with that). If TPTB go along with Simon's stated desire for pretty people for AI3, they'll probably lose the audience they had for AI2. And they'll be stuck paying Simon all that money for a show whose ratings will be going downwards.

Some of the concert reviews I've read have said Kimberley Locke is singing brilliantly but dressing dowdily. So I guess she still needs to learn how to dress. It's a problem for her, and it may hold her back professionally, which would be a real shame. Surely somewhere there's someone who can give her style pointers.

Ruben still has a great deal to learn. For starters he needs to learn how to pace himself. He's already cancelled two personal appearances (and the tour is only two weeks old). It's possible the most recent cancellation was to give him more recording time, but even that's a pacing issue. I've also read reports that he's been tired after the concert, while the other Idols still seem to be bouncing around in the meet and greets.

Given that Ruben announced that he wasn't on a diet, I have to wonder why Randy didn't sit him down and explain the disadvantages of obesity. Stomach stapling is not pleasant, and a man of Ruben's age should be able to change his eating patterns before such drastic measures are called for.

Ruben also needs to learn about song selection. If his CD is a little of this and a little of that, then why is it taking so long to select the songs? His planned new single is largely getting bad reviews in the newspapers, and while the concert summaries I read are mostly from Clay fans, I haven't heard of any crowd going wild for the song. One of the new CD songs about how Ruben wasn't well known in Alabama and now he gets to hang out with famous people is a bad joke waiting to happen.

In addition, Ruben doesn't seem to be doing many radio interviews. I don't know if Ruben thinks winning American Idol is sufficient to guarantee a big career, or if TPTB have led him to believe that, but whatever boost his career got from his AI title (and obviously he's going to do much better than if he stayed in Alabama) is not going to last very long unless he does what he needs to do to establish himself as a viable star. That involves public appearances. Ruben is capable of an interesting interview (his Billboard.com was proof of that), but he cannot assume the world is going to come to him. Even the Queen of England knows better than that these days.

Ruben also has to establish what his public persona is going to be. Again, this is a problem TPTB handed him at AI, when they stressed his cuddlihood. Cuddly works for Scooby Dooby Two, but it's not necessarily the best approach for the urban market.

Ruben runs the very real risk of becoming a punch line (look at the Lycos 50 summary today). Justin already is a joke, but at least he didn't win AI. Ruben's single didn't sell the numbers that were expected, and his Amazon pre-sales thus far have been mediocre. It's lovely that his single made gold, but 550,000 copies out of 800,000 is not the kind of number that inspires confidence in a recording company. J Records must be monitering these numbers very carefully and will promote the new CD accordingly.

It will be very interesting to see if Ruben learns (or is taught) what he's going to need to do to establish a successful long term career, and if TPTB select their next American Idol a bit more carefully next go round.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast