+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 5/15 AI 12 Top 2 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Re: 5/15 AI 12 Top 2 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

I'm surprised nobody said it so I will. KREE IS AN IDIOT! If you win a coin toss, go last. That way you close the show. She gave that final moment to Candice when it could have been hers.

I feel like they kept the judges quiet because they know America is over them. It's obvious they're all getting canned so they were minimized.

IMO Candice won the night, but Kree got my votes. Why? Because I'm sick of the judges' pandering plus I'm more likely to buy music by Kree (although not that likely since I'm not a fan of female vocalists in general). I also think there's more of a place for Kree in today's music which makes her more relevant. I do not think she will win, but she did get my 127 votes (50 on 2 different facebook accounts and 27 call in votes - and no I didn't count - the iphone tells me how many times I called the number).

This was such a lackluster season overall because there was too much judges manipulation. It started early on when they started sending home male contenders, and it kept on through this week with the judges campaigning for Candice. This season compares to season 3 in terms of judges manipulation and pandering. If they don't stop this next year, the show will be done for pretty much everyone. I'm certainly not up for a repeat next year. I hope TPTB read what we're saying and get back to basics. Fox will keep it around because it's still one of their highest rated shows. Look at how long the Simpsons have been on and it played out years ago. But it will have to work hard to get back the magic of yesteryear.

Oh and neither coronation song is anywhere near "Home." I think P2 is safe with his record of best selling winner song.
    NFL1 and YellowRose like this.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    Wow-za! That last song by Kree was really fabulous!!
    Would have and should have been the pimp spot if the girl had used her brain. Definitely the highlight of this otherwise boring evening.
    ilja likes this.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

3 ballads from Kree? And the first one was quite a sleep inducer. Simon Fuller should have given her a bluesy rock song to open the show.
    NFL1 likes this.

Thought Kree was rather lackluster this evening. Candice for the win!!
    BTW likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

May 15, 2013: The Top Two

The State of American Idol

These are my suggestions how to make it better: 1) Better and Fewer Judges; 2) Diversify The Contestants; 3) Change The Format; and 4) Use The Save.

Judges: The most obvious problem with judging is Nicki Minaj. She is a wonderful rapper and entertainment phenomenon but is also acutely polarizing. I like Nicki but I am one voice. My female friends, all Baby Boomers, hate her. My students, on the other hand, 95% male teenagers, like her. So Idol will need to create ways to hold on to its loyal fan base of Baby Boomers while it reaches out to the younger demographic it desperately needs to extend the life of the show. When I first started posting, I used phrases likeĒ sexyĒ and ďsensualĒ to describe some young female contestants and got lambasted by female posters here who called me an ďold pervertĒ. I didnít understand why as there was nothing sexual in my posts but I didnít need to understand it. I wanted people to like me, so I listened, and I learned. I stopped writing such things about young teenage girls. Nicki will need to listen to her critics as well, learn from them, and soften her Idol image. She will need to dial down the bisexual innuendo (it displeases millions of viewers) and the confrontational attitude aimed at the contestants and her fellow judges (who are entitled to their opinions too, even if she disagrees with them). But Nicki has positives too. She's beautiful (photogenic) and brutally honest. I love Mariah Carey and want her to stay but sheís got to figure out ways to formulate cogent thought (she rambles, and is unprepared to comment, so consumes the lionsí share of the time allotted for judges comments) even if it means reading from her notes. Keith is, in my opinion, a good judge, the best of the three Newbies, but has no understanding of the intricacies of primetime television.

Contestant Selection: Keith (Randy shares this view) is of the opinion that Idol is a singing competition, and only that. No, itís not, and it never was. Simon Cowell understood this; he understood that the a priori reason that people watch prime time television is entertainment. He knew that viewers could take only so much emotion and artistry. Thatís why he always put through at least one contestant for the purpose of fun and entertainment; e.g., The Unusuals (freaks, geeks, and fringe dwellers). He also put through at least one rocker, and, at least one ultra-beautiful female and at least one very pretty male with non-threatening talent; as eye-candy for the masses and, at the same time, to serve as a respite from the steady diet of emotionally draining power ballads that dominate this show. This year, no rockers, no Unusuals, and no pretty dudes made top twelve. There were no rockers invited to Vegas. The two Unusuals, Jade and Charlie didnít make it. America overwhelmingly ejected Jade but Charlie could have easily made top ten had the judges offered him a modicum of support rather than the vitriolic attack he received (he finished sixth in the voting). There was lots of eye candy for the male viewers but none for the ladies. This strict adherence to a purist creed is a 180 degree departure from the proven, successful, and winning formula utilized by Simon Cowell in previous years. Keith has a limited understanding of both rock and R&B, and, has a low tolerance for both Entertainers and Unusuals. If he stays (I want him to, I like him; heís good for the show; good Q scores), I hope that he can learn to appreciate all genres of music and embrace the diversity that we all share. In short, the selection process needs to improve.

Revamp Format: Idol has got to find ways to incorporate contemporary songs into its format, which is now little more than a recycling of the same old songs we heard for twelve years. It is time to incorporate new songs and new artists into its repertoire. In addition, the clearance procedure needs to be improved. Why is it okay for Angie to sing Colton Dixonís quasi-sacred Already Gone but forbid rocker James Durbin from singing Skid Roweís I Remember You? It canít be copyright law because Idol producers know and understand how to license up with ASCAP or BMI. Please, let the contestants pick their own music. And please, forget celebrity mentors and let Jimmie Iovine do his job. He can mentor the contestants on his own. He doesn't need any help. He's good at it.

The Save: Finally, what is the point of a Save if nobody gets saved? Because thereís such disharmony and disagreement among the judges they canít even agree to use it? This makes no sense and the entire concept gets reduced to comedy. In addition, it robs the contestants of a second chance. Devin or Burnell should have been saved; the talent was clearly there. I wonder if the judges were hesitant to use the Save because of Lazaro; if they reserved it for Candace, Kree, Amber, or Angie in case Lazaro outlasted one of them. If so, their thinking was flawed. One of the four was destined to win no matter what Lazaro did. It was obvious early on he lacked the firepower to compete with these girls.

The Top Two:I had a smile on my face since last Thursday when Kree and Candace were put through to the finals (I thought Angie was a lock). I mean no disrespect to Angie and her many fans; she is a wonderful singer and a worthy competitor; I simply connected better with Kree and Candace

1. Candace Glover. Chasing Pavements is a great song but not a competition song and definitely not compelling enough for primetime television. I didnít like it. It was boring. I Am Beautiful was also boring. In addition, itís a tweener; too weak for pop radio but too pop for R&B stations. The melody is mediocre; the hook is weak; both the lyric and music are unimaginative. I didnít like it. I Who Have Nothing was the only Candace moment that held my interest. That was a wonderful performance. As I said many times, left to me, Candace would win. I think her body of work is light years better than the rest. But I will accept Americaís decision, no matter what she decides. Good job Candace! Good luck tomorrow. You are a fantastic singer and I wish you the very best. If you win, know that you earned it.
    2. Kree Harrison. Angel is a good song but way too slow and uneventful for primetime television. It was a good vocal but boring. All Cried Out sounds like the contemporary songs heard on country radio stations, so has potential. I expect to see it somewhere on the Billboard Country Music charts, but this composition is definitely inferior to what is currently there. Luckily, Kree saved her best for last. I loved this song the first time she sang it. I loved it even more this time round. I picked Kree to win very early on because she epitomizes the Idol concept; a Nobody promoted from rags to riches. She is an American Idol, even without a crown. Good Job Kree. Good luck tomorrow. You, too, are a fantastic singer and I wish you the very best.

The Best Live Idol Performances (In The World). I did this because of Randy. Twice this season he used this phrase, and I disagreed with him, so I am posting my Best Idol Performances from this and other Idol shows around the world. You can find them in the usual places.

1. The Prayer-----Anthony Callea (Australian Idol, 2004; runner-up). Who knew that such artistry lay beneath this Car Wash disciple? Anthony owns one of the richest and most resonant baritones I have ever heard and he utilized it to perfection on this beautiful ballad. This performance stayed in my head for years. It is a vocal masterpiece; the absolute best performance ever by an Idol contestant.
    2. Someone Like You-----Regina Ivanova (Indonesian Idol, 2012; winner). Arguably the most passionate and emotional performance ever by an Idol contestant. Reginaís voice is full-flavored and multi-textured. She connects with a lyric better than any Idol contestant I have ever seen. Her version of this sad song will bring tears to your eyes.
    3. Run To The Hills-----Erik Gronwall (Swedish Idol, 2009; winner). Iron Maiden is widely regarded as one of the top three heavy metal bands in history. Run to The Hills (from the album, The Number of the Beast) is their best work ever. Erikís perfect pitch and tenor are utilized perfectly in this homage to Iron Maiden.
    4. Still Loving You-----Ari Koivunen (Finnish Idols, 2007, winner). You wonít believe the exquisite, crystal clear tenor on display in this absolutely perfect copy of this superb rock ballad. This is a perfect performance.
    5. Listen-----Regina Ivanova (Indonesian Idol, 2012; winner). This song has been featured on talent shows around the world but none better than this. It is the most powerful version of this show-stopper I have ever heard.
    6. Lovesong-----Candace Glover (American Idol, 2013). This is the finest performance ever on the American Idol stage; a magnificent display of musicianship, artistry, and heart-felt emotion.
    7. Done-----Mark Spano (Australian Idol Audition, 2008; 3rd place). This passionate, painful rock ballad tells the sad story of a man warned by friends not to get involved with a girl but did it anyway, with predictable result. It was eventually released as a single by Markís band, Until We Collide. It is one of the most beautiful rock ballads ever by an Idol contestant.
    8. A Song For You-----Elliott Yamin (American Idol, 2006, 3rd place). In retrospect, I am convinced that this performance is the second best performance ever on the Idol stage. To this day, it remains my favorite AI performance of all time. This is a magnificent performance from the incomparable Elliott Yamin.
    9. Uprising-----James Durbin (American Idol, 2011, 4th place). James stunned everybody with his emotional rendition of this Muse classic. This thing sent chills down my spine. A flawless performance.
    10. Here I Am Now------Petri Vehvilšinen (Swedish Idol, 2008; audition). Petri sounds like Axl Rose and blew away the judges with his original composition but was disqualified because he showed up drunk. This perfect song is also featured on Get Naked, the first album from Naked, Petriís band. This music genius is till battling alcoholism.
    11. Itís a Manís World-----Joshua Ledet (American Idol, 2012, 3rd place). The best R&B performance ever on the Idol stage; old school R&B at its best. This kid invested every cell of his heart, mind, and soul into this performance. The result was Perfection.
    12. House of the Rising Sun-----Haley Reinhart (American Idol, 2011, 3rd place). I will debate anyone that this is one of the finest Idol performances ever on the Idol stage. A magnificent vocal; a sublime performance. Thank you, Haley.
    13. The Show Must Go On-----Erik Gronwall (Swedish Idol, 2009, winner). Wait until you hear the power and unlimited upper register in Erikís tenor on this Queen classic. He achieved it many times and it is present in this performance as well: bone-chilling emotion.
    14. Cry Baby-----Ruzsa Magdolna (Hungarian Idol, 2006, winner). The most authentic and passionate version of this blues ballad I have ever heard on the Idol stage. Ruzsa went on to become the best selling singer in Hungary.

The Best Idol Albums (In The World)

1. I-----Kurt Nilsen (Norwegian Idol, 2003). The entire collection is sheer excellence; writing, music, and production; musicianship at its finest. I rank it #1 because it not only pushes against but actually pushes back the frontier of music. The title track, I, is a masterpiece. I love this album.
    2. Come On Kid----Josiah Lemming (American Idol, 2008, quarterfinalist). I said it many times but it still rings true. Josiah Leming is a genius; the best Idol lyricist ever, and, his talent is on full display here.
    3. Breakaway-----Kelly Clarkson (American Idol, 2002, winner). This album features her best work ever; hit after hit after hit. The title song is one of the best records ever by an Idol contestant. Kelly remains the best selling Idol contestant in the world, and this magnificent album is proof that she earned that lofty distinction for all the right reasons.
    4. Guardian Angel----- Petri Vehvilainen (Swedish Idol, 2008, audition). This muscular rock ballad headlines the album Get Naked, from Naked, Petri Vehvilainenís band, which features an eighties hard rock and heavy metal sound; with heavy influence from Guns N Roses (hard rock) and Hammerfall (Swedish heavy metal). Petri auditioned for Swedish Idol in 2008 but did not advance (see above).
    5. Armageddon-----Guy Sebastian (Australian Idol, 2003, winner). I learned of this album via the single Battle Scars, the only intelligent and well-written rap/hip-hop song released by an Idol contestant. The title song is magnificent but it is Battle Scars that brought him here. Battle Scars was certified 8x platinum (8 x 70,000) in Australia, gold (500,000) in the United States, #1 on the Billboard R&B digital charts, earned an NAACP nomination for best Duo (with rapper Lupe Fiasco), and won the Best R&B/Hip Hop composition at the 2013 International Songwriting Competition.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 05-16-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Loved your post Liednfrost! You said so much truth and I am going to bookmark your post to go look up those songs. And I certainly remember Elliot, Joshua, and James Durbin's songs you mentioned. Superb!
    NFL1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WinkyD View Post
    IDK, xmaskat.

So---the theme for tonight's show is "SLOW."
    Not unlike the entire season.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

I can't believe I did this, but, I only watched a little of the show last night. When Kree started Angel, I was so bored I went and checked some emails. That song has been so overdone that it's insulting to me to see someone do it AGAIN. And it reminds me of starving and crippled animals. (From the ASPCA public service announcementsv that have run for years.)

I went back to watch and caught Candice singing the song Simon Fuller picked for her. It's official. He's an idiot. How silly and ho hum was that song. Row Row Row Your Boat would have had more meat on it. Why?

Then I gave up. I switched over to a PBS show about zebras in Africa and found it rather amusing. I can't believe it though. I did record and may watch portions later.

I wish both girls luck and though I prefer Candice, Kree winning would be just fine with me. I'm glad it's almost over.

* I did like seeing the larger venue. They should have been in a larger place the entire season. The small one they used thus far hurt them, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I can't believe I did this, but, I only watched a little of the show last night. When Kree started Angel, I was so bored I went and checked some emails. That song has been so overdone that it's insulting to me to see someone do it AGAIN. And it reminds me of starving and crippled animals. (From the ASPCA public service announcementsv that have run for years.)

I went back to watch and caught Candice singing the song Simon Fuller picked for her. It's official. He's an idiot. How silly and ho hum was that song. Row Row Row Your Boat would have had more meat on it. Why?

Then I gave up. I switched over to a PBS show about zebras in Africa and found it rather amusing. I can't believe it though. I did record and may watch portions later.

I wish both girls luck and though I prefer Candice, Kree winning would be just fine with me. I'm glad it's almost over.

* I did like seeing the larger venue. They should have been in a larger place the entire season. The small one they used thus far hurt them, IMO.
    I'm sorry if this has been addressed before since I have not been around the whole season but is it possible they used a smaller venue because they did not have enough audience members to fill up a larger one?
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

FORT Fogey

I was like you Debb---I was back and forth. I listened to the start of each song and then went to the baseball game or flipped around.

I had never seen the clip of Kree on the Rosie show.....was that mentioned earlier? It has been said that with Kree in Nashville, it was surprising that she didn't make it. Add in that she was some kind of child phenom by appearing on Rosie at that young age.....what happened that she couldn't get a break?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast