+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: New Look for Idol post Season 12?

Re: New Look for Idol post Season 12?

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    See I wholeheartedly disagree. People keep saying this in regards to other singing competition shows ( ie The Voice), but I just don't see it. Aside from the blind auditions and the "spin around in red chairs" gimmick, what has The Voice ever given us? How many stars have they produced? Its been four seasons now and not one of the winners of this show has made even a shred of inroads in the music industry. Hell, no one even remembers the names of these so called winners. Whereas American Idol continuously turns out successful winners who have gone on to become true stars / celebrities, win numerous Grammys, AMA's, CMA'S, Oscars, star in movies etc. These have become household names. For that matter, even the non-winners go on to a decent level of fame.

In other words despite the problems American Idol has had over this past couple of years, they are still the juggernaut and the star making machine.

So for all The Voice' misguided notions that they're somehow more prestigious than American Idol, until they actually produce a winner who doesn't fade into obscurity the moment the finale wraps up, they will always be a poor man's American Idol, IMO

And Carson Daley: you still 'ain't Ryan Seacrest no matter how much you try to play him on TV.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    ICAM. Neither the X Factor nor The Voice has produced a Kelly Clarkson or a Carrie Underwood. I love The Voice right up until when the viewers get to vote. I totally love the judges and the blind auditions, but after that it tends to lose my interest pretty quickly.

There definitely were problems this season though. See through manipulations, boring songs, boring contestants. There is a reason that their ratings were the lowest they've ever been. Hopefully the producers will see the error of their ways and not try to pull this type of stunt again. Otherwise they will just continue to lose viewers like myself, who stopped watching when it became crystal clear who was going to win the show and America and the viewers votes had nothing to do with it.

Regarding the comment I made earlier about X Factor might be reuniting Randy, Paula and Simon - I take that to mean during an episode, not the entire show. They might be planning to guest judge or something along those lines. It did say *might* as well. I am just repeating what I read in a little article last week lol.
    Last edited by mesachick; 05-24-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    It sounds like they're actually thinking about bringing past Idols in as judges. The names I heard mentioned (on the radio this morning) were Clay, Jennifer Hudson, Kelly Clarkson, and I can't remember the fourth one. Just that they are rumored to have been "approached." All four judges from last season are definitely gone in any case.
    The fourth one was Adam Lambert.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Adam Lambert would be great in my opinion as a judge for AI. I don't know if new judges alone would be the answer or what it really needs.

Regarding The Voice and AI I think people are forgetting that The Voice first aired April 26, 2011 and we are already on the 4th season. It takes time to come out with an album. While the first two winners have not done well Cassadee just won on December 19, 2012. This is only the end of May, 2013. I guess she decided she would do better in the country world because that is the route she is going to take. Her album is suppose to be on the shelves by summer and she just announced the news of her Summer tour with famed Country band, Rascall Flatts. Cassadee will be on tour opening for Rascal Flatts, as well as The Band Perry. The tour will began on June 6th in Atlanta, Georgia and will continue throughout September. The first two winners were more of the R&B world with Javier Colon who left his record label and then Jermaine Paul who has a couple of singles, but not doing that well.

If you take the winners of the X Factor the first winner Melanie Amaro still hasn't released anything and she won December of 2011. Tate Stevens 2nd winner of the X Factor won around the same time as Cassadee Pope December, 2012 and just released his album. He is beginning a small tour of his own, and will be joining Alan Jackson at some point in the summer.

AI first aired June 11, 2001 and as we know Kelly Clarkson was it's first winner. We think of Kelly as a fantastic super star and she is now, but she had problems as well with AI and their label. She has been with Reba McEntire's husband Narvel Blackstock's label for quite a long time now and is engaged to his son.

I just think, and this is my opinion, that other than country it is very hard to crack these other genres when coming from these reality type shows. Even America's Got Talent has had some past singers who won and right now I couldn't tell you who won. While there have been others from AI that have done okay, I think Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson have to be considered the most successful AI contestants and even with Kelly there has been a country connection. I know Phillip Phillips had major success with "Home", but not sure if he has released anything since his coronation song or how it's doing if he has. We just had a non country winner and will have to see how she does.

I didn't look into other contestants on any of these shows to see how they are doing. I think many think of The Voice as not having any success, but the main thing is they have only been on a short time and do two shows a year so it may seem like it has been around for awhile, when it really hasn't. JMHO and my take on all three of these shows.

Actually Melanie Amaro has had a song "Long Distance" in rotation that I have heard. Not that I am a big fan of hers or anything, but she has gotten air time on Sirius channels. Phillip Phillips has had two songs in heavy rotation (including Home, the other is Gone, Gone, Gone), and a third is starting to hit the air waves as well. He's touring with John Mayer over the summer. His freshman album is really really good by the way.

I do agree it's really hard to get in to the industry even if you win a singing competition show.

No one from the Voice has had much success though. Season one winner, Javier Colon had a single out that I think I heard about two times on the radio hehe. Season two winner, Jermaine Paul, wasn't able to break into the top 100 even with Blake backing his release, but he does have a new album dropping in "early 2013", which has already gone by and I still haven't heard about any album.

Ms. Clarkson on the other hand, had immediate success with her first album release after winning AI. Miss Independent charted in the top ten in five national charts, including the United States, and was later certified gold by the RIAA. It earned Clarkson her first Grammy Award nomination for "Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. Kelly's country connection really only started over the past year when she did that duet with Jason Aldean. Yes, she's my favorite Idol winner ever lol. And we all know how amazing Carrie Underwood has been, and I don't listen to country music really, unless its crosses over to a more mainstream sound.

I am not saying one competition is better than the other, I think that just depends on what format one enjoys individually. But, AI still rules over the others in terms of seeing their winners have long lasting careers on the charts. I think that Candice will not be continuing that success however. She was bland, boring, and her sound is not unique at all.
    ilja likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Please don't think I was minimizing Kelly Clarkson at all as I love her. All I meant was that she started having problems with AI and Clive Davis, and then turned to her very good friend Reba as far back as 2007 and started taking her advice and signed with Reba's husband Narvel Blackstock. It was long before the Jason Aldean pairing. Here is a link to an article that gives a little background although there are many others out there. I do follow country music and was very interested in the whole story as I never realized that there were any problems at all. I just started seeing her performing with Reba and wondered what had happened. I thought she had left the Pop world for country when this all took place. The story is quite interesting.

Kelly Clarkson Plants Deep Roots in Country Music - The Boot

Regarding Melanie she has had her album shelved indefinitely and I read that the singles she put out without much success she had to put together out of her winnings by herself and not the record company Epic. Unfortunately, they have shelved the album, first with delaying it several times and now no word on it at all. They haven't released her yet, but that's almost worst as she can't go anyplace else. It's really rather sad and she almost would have been better off not winning. I don't follow her either, but wondered what happened to her since I hadn't heard much after she won the first year. Just seemed sad since she won the biggest prize ever offered on one of these shows.

Good to hear about Phillip Phillips as I didn't know much about what was happening with him. I hope he has one of the success stories.

I think unless you are a huge success then none of these shows whether you win or are runner-up will not stick with you. Actually, it's not the shows, but the record label that signs these contestants. I just think AI has been on a lot more years, so have had that much longer to find people. What happens after that is ultimately up to the contestant. What all these shows do is give people exposure. Some of the people that have won or were given record deals like Lee, Taylor, Crystal, Kris and Rubben were dropped because there 1st or 2nd album failed to sell. jmho

I believe that Phillip's 2nd single has also gone past the Gold status of 500,000 downloads. I said it after he won, & folks didn't agree, but I still believe he will be the most successful winner since Carrie.

And I'll just add that even though he was dropped from his record deal, Taylor Hicks seems to be doing really well for himself. He has that permanent gig in Las Vegas & that ain't half bad.

Since I sort of got off the track of this thread, I have to say I don't like the idea of Jennifer Hudson as a judge. Frankly her successes in the music business have been few & far between & the only time I ever hear her sing it becomes a major scream fest. Just like the other night when she & Candice set out to screech louder & longer than the other.

I'm not really excited about the prospect of Kelly Clarkson either. This is a girl that has tried to separate herself from the show since she won. And in fact has separated herself fromthe management aspect. So why now would she be willing to glom back onto the tit? I don't get the thinking from 19, especially since her Duets show did less than stellar.

I think Adam Lambert would do well on the show & I have nothing at all against him, but his fans really rub me the wrong way.

Clay Aiken fits right into the exact same mold as Kelly. He went out of his way to divorce himself from Idol. However, he has done well when he has come back.

I think if they were going to go for ex Idolers, Melinda Doolittle would be a good choice, Brooke White might do well, & even though he is probably much to busy, Constantine would certainly bring a performance aspect to the table like none of the others.

I would tune in if Adam was a judge, I think he's brilliant. I have watched the Angie/Adam duet quite a few times. I am also a huge fan of Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken . Other than that- cant say I will be back.
    Nicki was a train-wreck, she helped push idol to its lowest point. I am interested to see if it will come back, but it will never be the same - I think it will be just another 'singing' show
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Since I sort of got off the track of this thread, I have to say I don't like the idea of Jennifer Hudson as a judge. Frankly her successes in the music business have been few & far between & the only time I ever hear her sing it becomes a major scream fest. Just like the other night when she & Candice set out to screech louder & longer than the other.

I'm not really excited about the prospect of Kelly Clarkson either. This is a girl that has tried to separate herself from the show since she won. And in fact has separated herself fromthe management aspect. So why now would she be willing to glom back onto the tit? I don't get the thinking from 19, especially since her Duets show did less than stellar.

I think Adam Lambert would do well on the show & I have nothing at all against him, but his fans really rub me the wrong way.

Clay Aiken fits right into the exact same mold as Kelly. He went out of his way to divorce himself from Idol. However, he has done well when he has come back.

I think if they were going to go for ex Idolers, Melinda Doolittle would be a good choice, Brooke White might do well, & even though he is probably much to busy, Constantine would certainly bring a performance aspect to the table like none of the others.

They announced on the radio this morning that Jennifer Hudson has "inked a deal" to be a judge on AI. I don't dislike her ... but don't like the idea of her as a judge. Melinda would be perfect. As for males, Clay is my first pick, Adam & Harry Connick Jr would also be great. A couple of seasons ago there was a contestant who was a music teacher wasn't there? I also think they need someone who is also a musician.

One other thing, I really, REALLY do not want to see the judges performing on the show selling/promoting themselves. Maybe on the Finale ... but no other time.

The original AI had judges and producers who knew music, but were not promoting themselves.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I love Jennifer, she has been though a lot . Not sure what kind of judge she will make, better than NM I imagine.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread