+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: New Look for Idol post Season 12?

FORT Fogey

Re: New Look for Idol post Season 12?

I am totally in favor of having music industry judges that are not performers/stars. LA, Jimmy and whoever else is out there in their positions must be hired. They are so wrong in thinking we want pop stars to be judges! Oh goodness gracious me. If I were posting on Sucks, those would not be the words I would use.
    NFL1 and Misty8723 like this.

Yes, Jimmy is good most of the time. He reminds me of Simon sometimes, maybe that's why I like him
    NFL1 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

JLo is a master of keeping herself in the news. In an interview , she commented that the door isn't closed on returning to AI. Well honey, they dumped you last year, so I would say the door is closed and locked. The fans were not crazy about your diva behavior and self-promotion

I think Clay is perfect as a judge and I do think he would bring in an audience. A Rocker would be good but I don't know if Chris Daughtry might still be too busy. Also, someone who plays an instrument would be helpful. Maybe they should really look around and have a guest "fan" judge each week. There are quite a few here and elsewhere who give excellent and articulate comments ... and what I call "shouda's" as in she shoulda picked a different song, etc.

I don't watch the audition shows any more. If they want to show auditions ... show us some recaps of the ones going through ... and then go to abbreviatedHollywood rounds. I guess some people really like the non-contender auditions.

As for those who have stories but are more limited in their talents .... maybe they need another show called Inspirational Idol .
    NFL1 and ilja like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

There are also contender auditions. That is where I first met Kree and have been able to follow her ever since, and that is what I like about the whole drawn out process.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

I too never watch the auditions anymore, I enter at Hollywood week. If they actually showed us the talented folks who made it through, yes...but not the crazies. They should do 1-2 crazies only show for those who watch only for the "entertainment" and leave the rest for those who want to see the talent.
    Misty8723 and SpringMaiden27 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1 View Post
    I too never watch the auditions anymore, I enter at Hollywood week. If they actually showed us the talented folks who made it through, yes...but not the crazies. They should do 1-2 crazies only show for those who watch only for the "entertainment" and leave the rest for those who want to see the talent.
    If you had watched the auditions you would have realized that it was handled much differently this time around & we were introduced to everyone that made it to the voting rounds. To the best of my knowledge there were none that all of a sudden showed up & had us asking, "now who is that again?"

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    If you had watched the auditions you would have realized that it was handled much differently this time around & we were introduced to everyone that made it to the voting rounds. To the best of my knowledge there were none that all of a sudden showed up & had us asking, "now who is that again?"
    I didn't watch much of the auditions because every time I put it on, it was for one of the "crazies" or some nonesense with the judges. I really cannot sit through that nonesense anymore, especially since it's usually drawn out with much drama surrounding it. I'm just not interested. Came in for Hollywood week, but they rush through it so fast, show us a few people, montage of outhers, and more drama. I vote that we totally eliminate the drama and just get to see the talent. And that by Hollywood week, we should see every contestant, whether they make the top 20 or not.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    That would be fine ... if they eliminate the silly and non-contender auditions. If they put all of those into one show ... or even use some as fun clips on the voting/results shows that might work for me.

If not as a judge, it also might be interesting to have some long time fans commenting on some of the contestants and auditions.

Many have said, limit the number of votes and keep it simple. Telephone, text and online from the AI website or have people choose 1 way to vote. Now there are so many places to vote from .... that it's too confusing, complicated and time consuming so many don't bother.

Remember when it was call in only?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

My take on the judging situation is that they tried too hard to be The Voice this year. They got 3 people who are still relevant in the music industry today to bring on this fresh new feel. They wanted relevancy but what they got fell flat.

Mariah is not a good judge because she doesn't know the difference between constructive criticism and tearing people down.
    Keith was not a good judge because he seems more interested in keeping his own image in tact and not being critical is part of his nice guy image.
    Nikki was a good judge at times because she's the only one who offered any type of constructive criticism but she went way overboard sometimes with the hate and others way overboard with the love. She wasn't consistent.

They can't be The Voice because the format of The Voice is more like The X Factor. They need to remain focused on finding a star. And part of that is NOT judges' manipulation. I think a lot of people this year tuned out not because of the judges but because of the obvious manipulation. We knew for sure from Vegas that a girl was going to win. And to secure that, they sent home some really good guys. With the males we were given in voting, they forced us to vote for a female. That's not how you do it. You throw us the best of the best and let us decide. Everyone criticized P2 as the winner last year, but Home was the best selling Idol coronation single ever.

Now if the judges hadn't interfered, would we likely have had yet another WGWG win? Maybe but at least it would have been a fair fight. The most talented contestant doesn't always win. In season 2, # 2, 3, and 4 were more talented than Ruben. In season 3 LaToya, Diana, and Jennifer were more talented than Fantasia. In season 5 Elliott and Chris were droves better than Taylor or Katherine. But America likes who they like. And if you'll just let it progress, then the cream will rise outside the competition. Idol after all is just a title and very few who've actually owned that title have been as big a success as those who finished behind him/her.
    Do you want to see the Cook Islands Great Humpback Whale? Ozazy Lusth from Survivor! Ozzy, I want to see the great cook Islands Humpback Whale!

+ Reply to Thread