+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: New Look for Idol post Season 12?

FORT Fogey

Re: New Look for Idol post Season 12?

I thought the interviewer on Fox was talking through her hat ...Why Kelly and Carrie except that they are the two of the bigger AI successes and names that she knew? I am pretty sure that both of these women are in the prime of their careers and don't have time for a long stint on AI.

Jimmy and the producers have a financial stake in this so... yea, they would have much to say.

I mentioned some of this before we got this dedicated "new Idol" thread so I brought some of it over.

It would be fun to have someone like Clay Aiken as a judge. Clay is extremely smart and understands business & the music business. His fellow "Apprentice" contestants had only high regard for him and thought he was the clear winner.

Perhaps with Harry Connick Jr. and a female who has been there done that. Someone like Tamyra would be perfect or Melinda Doolittle?

I still think that Randy could be part of this as a guest mentor or judge?

Ryan should definitely stay until HE can name his own successor. They could add a woman to share. Maybe the one who "dims the lights".
    Misty8723 likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I read an article just this morning that suggested that the producers are looking at Selena Gomez, Justin Beiber, Diddy and Pink for replacements. I had read another article that said they didn't want to pay the BIG Diva salaries. The two articles just don't compute. Wouldn't their choices, if the above is correct, expect Big bucks too? The only one I would like to see on that list is Pink. The others don't have enough experience to be judges yet. I also would like to see Rod Stewart on the list if they are going Big again. I think he would actually mentor the contestants, and I'd like to see an artist who isn't R&B, but who does have the background to be a great Judge. Melissa Etheridge, or John Fogerty also come to mind. But if they are going smaller, I wouldn't mind seeing some of our former Idols on the panel who have made it, or are making it in the business. Give us one leaning towards Pop, Country and Rock for a change. Adam Lambert comes to mind, Kat McPhee, and Kelly Clarkson. But again, they don't have any more experience than the three young umms that the article listed. So, I guess I feel two ways about it. Beiber seems to be having some personal problems that he should work out first. In the past, the judges have mostly leaned towards R&B. Urban and Tyler were exceptions, but I didn't like either of them all that much as judges. Or give us someone who isn't in the business but has been a Judge on another contestant show like David Hasselhoff. He can be quite funny and we could use some light hearted banter sometimes on the show. He's funny, knowledgeable and not rude. Yes, I know he's had his problems, but I still like him. Just an off the cuff thought. Ryan according to one article I read is staying. I'm good with that. But Puleese no Jennifer Lopez, Mariah, or Tyler. Really, there are a ton of good people out there. One change I would make is to limit the amount of votes per person. Give the Idols more of their own choices in material for the show, but do require them to do other musical styles as well, so they can grow along the way. Change the finale so that we have a final three. I mentioned that in another thread, but I still think it is a good idea. No more self indulgent video's of the judges but why not have a Judge Duet with an Idol. The opening Idol numbers have not been all that interesting. Intermingle the contestants with the Judges. Just a thought.

Clay's a great idea, IMO. I think they need to think outsidet the box when chosing new judges.

I read somewhere that Simon was going a different route this time with The X Factor judges.

FORT Fogey

What I noticed happening I thought too often was the first judge would give his/her opinion, and then the rest of them would feed off that same opinion as if they didn't have one of their own.
    ginger2 likes this.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Yes, it seems like that to me too.

I can't wait until they "clean house"..
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey
    This is probably the begining of the end. A huge change is needed but I am not sure that new judges can fix it. I hate the auditions and rarely watch them. They could be eliminated and just start in with Hollywood rounds. That is when they become interesting.

They should be more selective in the audition process. Look for rockers and those who offer more than just a good voice. We want to be entertained, too. Require them, women singers especially, to choose an upbeat song for their audition so we won't be stuck with endless ballads. Songs with postive lyrics should be another request. The Pink song Kree sung was a good choice though the judges didn't like it. It was refresing for me, anyway. She did sort of phone that one in, though. Her energy level was never that high for starters.

Get new stylists, ones who are skilled at dressing performers. Candice and Kree have looked terrible all season! They did a good job with Angie for the most part. And better hairstylists. We see excellent hair on the models of PR and Fashion star. People are out there, just find them. The entire package is important.

Also the lighting was terrible for Candice and Amber particularly. Dark skin needs more light. Oprah taught us about that! Everyone benefited from her lighting no matter skin tone. She always said guests loved how they looked when a guest on her show. The lighting was geared for her skin.

The song choices have to be better. Stop with the theme weeks. Just help them choose good songs.

And you don't need young judges. Find people who are knowledgable like Jimmy. We don't have to know who they are. Just 3 people who are going to give skilled and accurate feedback. Most of us had not heard of Jimmy before Idol and he has proven himself to be the icon of rational thought.

Simon leaving was the kiss of death.

I cannot see this show improving without major changes. It is beyond just tweaking.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-11-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    ilja and sparklete like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post

Simon leaving was the kiss of death.
    I agreed with a lot you had to say---especially the total revamp. I am thinking , though, that their time has passed. Twelve years is a very long time in TV and they may have had their run.

I do not agree with your Simon statement. If he was so valuable to the show, he would have carried his power and prestige to the X and he didn't because he was vastly over rated by a number of people. If the majority of the people thought he was the star of the show, they would have followed him to the new show.
    NFL1 and NCLurker like this.

I loved Simon on AI but did not even think about following him to X.
    NFL1 likes this.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

+ Reply to Thread