+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: 5/1 AI 12 Top Four Redux **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/1 AI 12 Top Four Redux **West Coast Spoilers**

Bloomers, I know you meant Harry Connick, Jr., not Ray Conniff, who is a musical director and arranger with his self named singing group.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

I thought the end when Harry pulled up to the judges table was interesting. The judges gave Jimmy a hard tme last week for saying much as Harry said this week. ( Wondering if that is why Jimmy got a week off---although I would love to hear him tonight do a recap of the performances). Harry, however, really pushed back at them----totally convinced that singers have to understand the lyrics and keep to the melody.

I think Amber will go. She came off very poorly in her MFV session with Harry when she did not have a clue what the lyrics meant. It sort of reminds me back when the kids talked about each other and everybody mentioned that she was quite vain----always looking in a mirror. Did not help her appeal at all

Once Ryan pulled a disheveled Harry from backstage, I knew we, the audience, were in for it. Then Ryan invited him to stay and he sat with Nigel and Mary so close to the panel.

I loved his filmed critiques, especially trying to get the women to dig into the lyrics of a song before singing it. I didn't love that he seemed a tad inebriated and knew there was no way he could win an argument with King Randy.

Why critique the scared contestants when the real action was at and around the judging table. No wonder the girls looked upset - they were caught in the middle of some true ugly moments not of their making. I'm wishing them all well as we slide into the finals - they, and we, are going to need it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    Candice is gifted in a specialized way, and as such she is fabulously gifted. In a fair assessment, I think there could be no doubt, and she has devoted fans who love that kind of music. However, you heard her say, "I am not a pop singer," very quickly to Ray Coniff, Jr. when he was talking to her, and they were misunderstanding each other.
    Unfortunately, maybe for Candice there might be more pop voting fans than there are fans who appreciate her fabulous gifted, but specialized ability as evidenced in her placement last week in the bottom 2 with Amber when it was Kree who received the panning from the judges which possibly - and I say might - might foreshadow a failure to win the end 1rst place.

I have to very politely disagree on Angie. One can not like a contestant. That contestant can rub a person rub him/her in every different direction the wrong way, so to speak, but in my opinion that doesn't negate the contestant's musical ability. Again - in my opinion - Angie is overall gifted as well as Candice but in other ways. Angie composes music, it appears she can play any song she chooses to sing on the piano, she sings well even if she doesn't have Candice's Billie Holiday voice ( and how many do), she had the looks coming in and with a gifted stylist will do well in that area, although people complain that she hogs the camera, she presents well as far as stage presence - she already smiles and shows personality, and.....she is gracious and humble which people like. She will receive all the direction she needs in selecting the "right" songs to showcase her particular voice after this - something we have read the contestants don't get now because it is my understanding that "choice is something they have to learn" or something like that.

My heart went out to Amber last night. If she gained votes, I don't think it was all because of "My Funny Little Valentine" because while Ray Conniff recieved a good edit, Amber did not in my opinion. That slant came off making her look a little empty headed which I did not like for her, but which I could see for him as a coach.
    Amber was so emotionally fragile and vulernable last night, and I think that might have tugged at a few voting hearts. Is it enough?

She sings very well, and she is a beautiful girl who I can absolutely see modeling as well as singing. As far as Whitney Houston? She came along at a different time which also might have some bearing. Also Whitney just blew the socks off everyone from the first moment. She hardly needed any promoting.
    However, Amber is going to be alright. Randy, Nikki, and Mariah really like her, and it may be that the three of them help her in the industry is she doesn't win this thing.

I am not sure what is happening with Kree. She still has the same wonderful voice that she has always had and with which people fell in love. It just seems that nothing she picks out seems to please, and I just don't understand.

I do understand that she is making a giant effort "to connect" with the music, to show emotion and passion, and it looks to me like she is also going out of her way look more feminine. Last night she had on more make-up, and she was quite pretty.
    I appreciate your points, but I don't appreciate Angie's voice. IMO, it doesn't stand out in her area of music. And as far as Candice losing votes since she's not a pop star, neither was Philip Phillips. He was far from being the best singer and not a pop singer either, but he won. Maybe that takes us back to the boy with guitar theory. lol

Candice has earned the win, IMO, even if she doesn't win AI. I really expect that she will do okay, regardless. I can't say that about the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I appreciate your points, but I don't appreciate Angie's voice. IMO, it doesn't stand out in her area of music. And as far as Candice losing votes since she's not a pop star, neither was Philip Phillips. He was far from being the best singer and not a pop singer either, but he won. Maybe that takes us back to the boy with guitar theory. lol

Candice has earned the win, IMO, even if she doesn't win AI. I really expect that she will do okay, regardless.
    I can't say that about the others.
    Every year we see that same statement made for contestant after contestant, yet it seldom plays out that way. It might this time, as you say, but it doesn't happen to often.
    ilja likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Telling someone they need to learn the melody of a song before than can make it their own is hardly a bunch of baloney. As a matter of fact, knowing the melody is essential and if you don't know the melody you have no business singing the song.

And herein lies the problem with many of today's "artists". They spend too much time fancying up a song, trying to impress everyone with how many runs they can cram into one note that the true meaning of the lyric is gone, overshadowed by silly runs and vocal gymnastics. And people love applauding this type of nonsense. It's a bunch of showboating and not much else (yes, Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, I'm talking to you).

The young singers of today know nothing of what it means to emote the words of a song with feeling.Most don't even listen to the lyrics of a song because to them the lyrics of a song are simply something to play with, to "pretty" up with fancy notes. This is why they can sing a song with sad, heart-wrenching lyrics with a big smile on their face - because they know nothing of the meaning of the lyrics, nor do they care. This is the exact reason Harry had to ask Amber if she even knew what My Funny Valentine was even about. He saw her meandering through the song, paying absolutely no attention the lyrics.

I respect Harry for his true musical artistry. His deep respect for the standards and for keeping music in it's purist form is something totally lost in today's music. As both a singer and musician he knows exactly what he's talking about.

Keep on keeping it real Harry! I respected him as an artist before but now I respect him even more.
    I totally agree. One of the worst displays of how this can go terribly wrong was a kid last year singing Imagine by John Lennon. This is one of the songs you just don't change. No need to inject drama with runs; the words supply it all.
    bee stung lips likes this.

FORT Fogey

Debb said she will do OK which is possible.....lots of avenues in music. If she can make a living, then she is successful. Too many people in the past, however, have predicted that their choice will be bigger than the winner. That only happened with Jennifer H and Adam.

Success is subjective. Clay Aiken was very successful, even though he didn't win. And some of the contestants who finished earlier than he did, have gone on to make a living making music. I think that's great. Here are some of the non-winners who have gone on with record deals or other entertainment jobs:
    Clay
    Jennifer Hudson
    Constantine Maroulis
    Bucky Covington
    Kellie Pickler
    Chris Daughtry
    Adam Lambert
    Casey Jones
    Haley Reinhardt
    Lauren Alana
    Colton Dixon
    Jessica Sanchez

And there could be more that I am not aware of.

Time will tell.

Actually, I think Candice has a better voice than Jennifer Hudson.
    bee stung lips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    Debb said she will do OK which is possible.....lots of avenues in music. If she can make a living, then she is successful. Too many people in the past, however, have predicted that their choice will be bigger than the winner. That only happened with Jennifer H and Adam.
    And Clay Aiken, and Chris Daughtry.

ETA We were posting at the same time Debb. By the wayyou said
    Actually, I think Candice has a better voice than Jennifer Hudson.
    Maybe as good but just different.
    Last edited by echo226; 05-02-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

A while ago they did packages on all of the contestants ... remember Amber doing "selfies" ? Also, as I recall, almost everyone said that Candice had the least appealing package and personality. She has her own room ... and she said she "deserved" it. Most said they did NOT like her.
    Also, right at the beginning, Candice seemed to be one of the "anointed" ... and I thought she was quite good. She has slipped and more importantly, I think she is terribly inconsistent.

I think the top contender is Angie. She is pretty consistent ... and once in a while really soars.
    Shoepie likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast