+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 4/25 AI 12 Top 4 Results **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/25 AI 12 Top 4 Results **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    liedenfrost,

It's nice of you to stick up for Whiter Shade Of Pale, but no matter how many statistics you want to site, the lyrics of that song are just off the wall stupid. They are a rambling mess, they were a product of the 60's & that had a lot to do with the success of the song. The only good thing that came from Procol Harum was the departure & rising stardom of Robin Trower.

By the way, please explain to me, how did the song qualify as a 1 Hit Wonder
    ?

razorbacker ... Please see post Number 127 in the SHOW thread where you first posed that question ... where I responded.

I am not going to post the entire response here but PH's #34 hit "Homberg" happened 4 months after WSoP. HOWEVER ... the makeup of the group changed 3 months after WSOP Both a guitar player and a drummer left and were replaced by 2 others.

It's a stretch, I know, but since the group as it existed has only that one hit ...WSoP ... it technically is a one hit wonder!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    razorbacker ... Please see post Number 127 in the SHOW thread where you first posed that question ... where I responded.

I am not going to post the entire response here but PH's #34 hit "Homberg" happened 4 months after WSoP. HOWEVER ... the makeup of the group changed 3 months after WSOP Both a guitar player and a drummer left and were replaced by 2 others.

It's a stretch, I know, but since the group as it existed has only that one hit ...WSoP ... it technically is a one hit wonder!
    I read your explanation, but as you said it is a stretch & I think it is a stretch that just doesn't reach. If you check the Billboard Book Of Top 40 Hits which I have sitting right in front of me, Procol Harum the band, regardless of the make up of the band is credited with 3 Top 40 hits. There is no difference in the way they are credited than you would see with the Doobie Brothers pre or post the addition of Michael McDonald. The hits are still credited to The Doobie Brothers.There are tons of instances of bands adding or losing members, but nothing changes in the credits, the band name remains the same.

Hell the Rolling Stones lost Brian Jones in 1969 but were still The Stones when Mick Taylor joined. They have since added Ronnie Wood lost Bill Wyman, added Chuck Levell, & on & on, but all their hits are credited to The Rolling Stones.

The Guess Who lost Randy Bachman, but they were still the Guess Who.

I just think that this was a 1 Hit Wonder that wasn't.

Lee's song is a knock off of Phillip Phillips' Home which is a knock off of Mumford & Sons. Lee trying to get into the bandwagon to get a hit. He is lacking originality right now.

I should have gone with my gut to put Candice in the bottom 2. I'm not surprised that Kree is in the top 2 instead of Candice because she was able to spur more votes from her fans after she landed bottom 2 last week plus she is no longer splitting votes w Janelle. OTOH, Candice is still splitting votes with Amber. Once Amber is gone, its going to be a free for all for the Final 2

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    This was from reading one post before I watched the show. I have since seen the show and notice that Ryan did announce who were the top two and who were the bottom two.
    I believe you are referring to a post that I made during the show. I was not being murky with my response, I was simply reporting what happened on stage before the commercial break. Ryan split them into 2 groups, and said one was the top 2 and the other group was the bottom 2. No announcment of who was safe and who was in danger had been made when I posted .

See...the dangers of a west coaster reading ahead of watching and then posting. **sigh** I won't do it again.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    I should have gone with my gut to put Candice in the bottom 2. I'm not surprised that Kree is in the top 2 instead of Candice because she was able to spur more votes from her fans after she landed bottom 2 last week plus she is no longer splitting votes w Janelle. OTOH, Candice is still splitting votes with Amber. Once Amber is gone, its going to be a free for all for the Final 2
    These are all good points I hadn't thought of. I'd like to see Amber go next. She just doesn't have chops or stage presence as the others. I really hope Candace makes F2. My gut is saying that she'll pull out the stops and she and Angie will be F2. That would be one heck of a finale.

The girl version of Clay and Reuben!

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I read your explanation, but as you said it is a stretch & I think it is a stretch that just doesn't reach. If you check the Billboard Book Of Top 40 Hits which I have sitting right in front of me, Procol Harum the band, regardless of the make up of the band is credited with 3 Top 40 hits. There is no difference in the way they are credited than you would see with the Doobie Brothers pre or post the addition of Michael McDonald. The hits are still credited to The Doobie Brothers.There are tons of instances of bands adding or losing members, but nothing changes in the credits, the band name remains the same.

Hell the Rolling Stones lost Brian Jones in 1969 but were still The Stones when Mick Taylor joined. They have since added Ronnie Wood lost Bill Wyman, added Chuck Levell, & on & on, but all their hits are credited to The Rolling Stones.

The Guess Who lost Randy Bachman, but they were still the Guess Who.

I just think that this was a 1 Hit Wonder that wasn't.
    I didn't know you read my guess at how they arrived at the one-hit-wonder status because you asked again.

I do think, perhaps more importantly, it has something to do with that songwriting dispute/lawsuit meaning the song was written by only 2 or 3 people who never wrote another hit as a team.

I was just making a guess because you seemed very unhappy or frustrated about this selection. I don't know, and you are absolutely the expert.
    ilja likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345