+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: 4/24 AI 12 Top 4 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/24 AI 12 Top 4 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

From the FOX show schedule (at fox.com)

For Wednesday, 4/24:
    American Idol
    “Finalists Compete - Live” - 8/7c (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT)
    ALL NEW / TWO-HOUR EPISODE
    THE FINALISTS PERFORM LIVE ONCE AGAIN ON AN ALL-NEW “AMERICAN IDOL” WEDNESDAY, APRIL 24, ON FOX

For Wednsday, May 1:
    American Idol
    “Top 4 Finalists Compete - Live” - 8/7c (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT)
    ALL NEW / TWO-HOUR EPISODE
    THE REMAINING 4 FINALISTS PERFORM LIVE FOR THE NATION ONCE AGAIN ON AN ALL-NEW “AMERICAN IDOL” WEDNESDAY, MAY 1, ON FOX
    So I guess the twist this week is a non-elimination. To save their beloved and chosen one...Amber.

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    From the FOX show schedule (at fox.com)

So I guess the twist this week is a non-elimination. To save their beloved and chosen one...Amber.
    Naturally. That's why they didn't use it on Janelle last week even though they needed to for time's sake. They were afraid Amber would get eliminated.

Never mind that the rule was clearly stated by Ryan when this started that it HAD to be used by Top 5. Details, details...

If Kree or Candice benefits from this, good for them. They've both been tossed under the bus enough as it is.
    CupidGuest and sparklete like this.

April 24, 2013: The Top Four

1. Angie Miller. This was probably the easiest #1 all season. It was two solid and entertaining performances that brought her here. I love Jessie Jís Who You Are, and although nowhere near as good as the original (especially the verses, which were noticeably inferior), Angie delivered a competent and accurate copy. I still think that she sometimes bangs her piano to camouflage lack of emotion. Cry Me a River was a beautiful vocal performance; technically brilliant, but not really believable. This was her very first authentically secular love song, and she did a good job selling it. Angie is a Christian singer; thereís no doubt about it. Even her secular choices, while inspirational and uplifting, have, until tonight, been gender-neutral, with no reference to human emotions like sexual desire, physical attraction, falling in love, as well as coping with the inevitable unpredictability and vulnerability of all that. Yes, I know she sang Shop Around and Halo but the former is not a love song at all and the latterís lyric is a classic double entendre that could easily reference a spiritual presence. Should she win, as it now appears (she's clearly the judges favorite), she will become the first Idol winner in history to do it with Christian Music, and as a result, thrust Idol into unknown territory. It will be interesting to see whether the Idol Machine can even assembles a competent A&R team that can successfully crossover what will undoubtedly be a debut album of religious and inspirational music. Remember, this didnít work well for Charlotte Church. Equally interesting is just how much the Idol Machine is willing to invest financially in what is still considered, in the absence of a pop crossover, a comparatively limited market. The one thing that gives me hope is this: Angie wants this title very much. Unlike Colton Dixon, who was mostly intransigent and difficult to work with, Angie appears more willing to compromise and cooperate with the Idol Machine. Can she win? Absolutely. She has a very contemporary look; the camera absolutely loves her, and she continues to receive strong support from teens and the huge evangelical and catholic demographic. I try to be objective. For me, these were the best two performances of the night. Good job Angie!
    2. Kree Harrison. It seems that, for the second year in a row, my pick to win will exit the competition in the semis. If the judges are correct, Kreeís eviction will happen tomorrow but none of that affects my placement. Although unnecessarily mean and uncharacteristically confrontational at times, especially with Kree lately, I still love and respect the judges but like you, I vote with my heart. Kree is my favorite remaining contestant and I hate to think of Wednesday night without her, but, twelve years of Idol taught me to always accept and respect Americaís choices. If this was her last performance, she went out with a bang. Thank you, Kree, for A Whiter Shade of Pale, my second favorite rock song of all time; second only to Led Zeppelinís Stairway to Heaven. I have literally begged contestants to sing this song for twelve years so jumped for joy when I heard the organ prelude. Iím not sure how America will feel about this performance though, since A Whiter Shade of Pale is also the #1 funeral song in Western Civilization. A Whiter Shade of Pale is a girl-dumps-boy break-up song that takes place in a bar; the entire story told with insanely clever imagery, symbolism, mythological references (Vestal Virgins, Neptune), surrealism, fractured conversations of accusation and confession; complemented by plaintiff and howling organ chords and sampled classical music (Bachís Air on a G String). It is truly one of the most intricate and cerebral popular music compositions ever written. Lyrically, A Whiter Shade of Pale is the third best song ever recorded, surpassed only by Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven (at #1) and Train's Drops of Jupiter (at #2). Again, thank you so much Kree. I will love you forever. She made some bad choices the last couple weeks; Hurt So Bad is one of them, but I strongly disagree with Keith, because A Whiter Shade of Pale cannot possibly ever be a wrong song.
    3. Amber Holcomb. Celine Dionís Power of Love was a magnificent performance; vocally exquisite and beautifully crafted; for me, the second best performance of the night. It seems sheís had an epiphany since Love on Top, and is now seeking out and reaching out to a different audience; an older audience. It was a smart and strategic move to honor Barbara Streisand, Celine Dion, and Mariah Carey, three very popular and well-known singers, and the change in direction seems to be paying off for her. But I agree 100% with Jimmie about MacArthur Park. These lyrics are generally grouped with songs like I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Wonít Do That) as the worst lyrics of all time. According to the songwriter, it tells the story of a man and a woman who meet, date, then break up in MacArthur Park. She and her new beau decide to marry in the same park and the jilted lover sneaks into the ceremony and hides in the tool shed. The skies open up, the rains comes, causing water to stream down the window panes of the shed; which makes the wedding cake look like it was "melting in the rain", but, rain across the window pane does not explain why MacArthur Park itself melts because if so, he, too, would have melted. "Corny"? Yeap. For me. For Jimmie. But if you like this song, as Nicki does, and get what you need from it, the rest doesn't matter.
    4. Candace Glover. Based on her body of work thus far, Candace, in my opinion, deserves to win, but, probably because of illness, hurt her chances tonight. Drakeís Find Your Love was re-created with intricate vocal jazz transitions and phrasing, but, the lyric itself is not very good and the melody is not very memorable. Drake is one of my favorite R&B singers but his music is not a good fit for Candace, and honestly, I doubt it would be well-received on any primetime television singing competition. Nicki mentioned Kanye West in her critique, but, those remarks will likely cause Candace more harm than good, because Kanye is one of the most polarizing figures in pop music. Randy said ďIt canít always sound like youíre in churchĒ, but R. Kelly is a contemporary R&B singer and church music is at the very heart of everything he does; yet heís gained fame in both R&B and popular music. Ditto Luther Vandross and Alicia Keys. I could list many others. I am not a huge Bee Gees Fan, but Candace did an excelent job with this song. I try to be objective, but, I really do not like Emotion. Randy called it "a great song". Randy is an expert musician and judge; he knows his craft; so Iíll just say this: I disagree; in my opinion, Emotion is definitely not a great song. I can't help but wonder why Candace picked these two songs at such a critical time in the competition. But, as I said, based on her body of work, she's done more than enough to earn a place in the next round.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 04-25-2013 at 04:27 AM.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost View Post
    April 24, 2013: The Top Four

1. Angie Miller. This was probably the easiest #1 all season. It was two solid and entertaining performances that brought her here. I love Jessie Jís Who You Are, and although nowhere near as good as the original (especially the verses, which were noticeably inferior), Angie delivered a competent and accurate copy. I still think that she sometimes bangs her piano to camouflage lack of emotion. Cry Me a River was a beautiful vocal performance; technically brilliant, but not really believable. This was her very first authentically secular love song, and she did a good job selling it. Angie is a Christian singer; thereís no doubt about it. Even her secular choices, while inspirational and uplifting, have, until tonight, been gender-neutral, with no reference to human emotions like sexual desire, physical attraction, falling in love, as well as coping with the inevitable unpredictability and vulnerability of all that. Yes, I know she sang Shop Around and Halo but the former is not a love song at all and the latterís lyric is a classic double entendre that could easily reference a spiritual presence. Should she win, as it now appears (she's clearly the judges favorite), she will become the first Idol winner in history to do it with Christian Music, and as a result, thrust Idol into unknown territory. It will be interesting to see whether the Idol Machine can even assembles a competent A&R team that can successfully crossover what will undoubtedly be a debut album of religious and inspirational music. Remember, this didnít work well for Charlotte Church. Equally interesting is just how much the Idol Machine is willing to invest financially in what is still considered, in the absence of a pop crossover, a comparatively limited market. The one thing that gives me hope is this: Angie wants this title very much. Unlike Colton Dixon, who was mostly intransigent and difficult to work with, Angie appears more willing to compromise and cooperate with the Idol Machine. Can she win? Absolutely. She has a very contemporary look; the camera absolutely loves her, and she continues to receive strong support from teens and the huge evangelical and catholic demographic. I try to be objective. For me, these were the best two performances of the night. Good job Angie!
    2. Kree Harrison. It seems that, for the second year in a row, my pick to win will exit the competition in the semis. If the judges are correct, Kreeís eviction will happen tomorrow but none of that affects my placement. Although unnecessarily mean and uncharacteristically confrontational at times, especially with Kree lately, I still love and respect the judges but like you, I vote with my heart. Kree is my favorite remaining contestant and I hate to think of Wednesday night without her, but, twelve years of Idol taught me to always accept and respect Americaís choices. If this was her last performance, she went out with a bang. Thank you, Kree, for A Whiter Shade of Pale, my second favorite rock song of all time; second only to Led Zeppelinís Stairway to Heaven. I have literally begged contestants to sing this song for twelve years so jumped for joy when I heard the organ prelude. Iím not sure how America will feel about this performance though, since A Whiter Shade of Pale is also the #1 funeral song in Western Civilization. A Whiter Shade of Pale is a girl-dumps-boy break-up song that takes place in a bar; the entire story told with insanely clever imagery, symbolism, mythological references (Vestal Virgins, Neptune), surrealism, fractured conversations of accusation and confession; complemented by plaintiff and howling organ chords and sampled classical music (Bachís Air on a G String). It is truly one of the most intricate and cerebral popular music compositions ever written. Lyrically, A Whiter Shade of Pale is the third best song ever recorded, surpassed only by Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven (at #1) and Train's Drops of Jupiter (at #2). Again, thank you so much Kree. I will love you forever. She made some bad choices the last couple weeks; Hurt So Bad is one of them, but I strongly disagree with Keith, because A Whiter Shade of Pale cannot possibly ever be a wrong song.
    3. Amber Holcomb. Celine Dionís Power of Love was a magnificent performance; vocally exquisite and beautifully crafted; for me, the second best performance of the night. It seems sheís had an epiphany since Love on Top, and is now seeking out and reaching out to a different audience; an older audience. It was a smart and strategic move to honor Barbara Streisand, Celine Dion, and Mariah Carey, three very popular and well-known singers, and the change in direction seems to be paying off for her. But I agree 100% with Jimmie about MacArthur Park. These lyrics are generally grouped with songs like I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Wonít Do That) as the worst lyrics of all time. According to the songwriter, it tells the story of a man and a woman who meet, date, then break up in MacArthur Park. She and her new beau decide to marry in the same park and the jilted lover sneaks into the ceremony and hides in the tool shed. The skies open up, the rains comes, causing water to stream down the window panes of the shed; which makes the wedding cake look like it was "melting in the rain", but, rain across the window pane does not explain why MacArthur Park itself melts because if so, he, too, would have melted. "Corny"? Yeap. For me. For Jimmie. But if you like this song, as Nicki does, and get what you need from it, the rest doesn't matter.
    4. Candace Glover. Based on her body of work thus far, Candace, in my opinion, deserves to win, but, probably because of illness, hurt her chances tonight. Drakeís Find Your Love was re-created with intricate vocal jazz transitions and phrasing, but, the lyric itself is not very good and the melody is not very memorable. Drake is one of my favorite R&B singers but his music is not a good fit for Candace, and honestly, I doubt it would be well-received on any primetime television singing competition. Nicki mentioned Kanye West in her critique, but, those remarks will likely cause Candace more harm than good, because Kanye is one of the most polarizing figures in pop music. Randy said ďIt canít always sound like youíre in churchĒ, but R. Kelly is a contemporary R&B singer and church music is at the very heart of everything he does; yet heís gained fame in both R&B and popular music. Ditto Luther Vandross and Alicia Keys. I could list many others. I am not a huge Bee Gees Fan, but Candace did an excelent job with this song. I try to be objective, but, I really do not like Emotion. Randy called it "a great song". Randy is an expert musician and judge; he knows his craft; so Iíll just say this: I disagree; in my opinion, Emotion is definitely not a great song. I can't help but wonder why Candace picked these two songs at such a critical time in the competition. But, as I said, based on her body of work, she's done more than enough to earn a place in the next round.

Some people may not like her song choice but Candice, vocals were still good and she was sick with a cold. ITA, based on her body work I believe she will be in the finals.

What I saw of the show just bored me silly. I started off by lowering the volume when Amber was singing and left it between low and mute for the first 4 songs. Then i was done with it. If they don't get rid of some more diverse talent next season (if there is a next season), I may be done with Idol entirely. Never thought I'd say that, because I've always managed to find someone (more than one) in the top 10 to root for. Not so this season.
    NCLurker likes this.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

To the Point

I am not overly enamored with any of these ladies, but I think that is a result of the show itself more than the artist. This has been an incredibly BORING year even with the impressive talent all the ladies possess (and I'm including Janelle in that). They can all sing but the themes and song choices have been boring. I think Candace probably has the best voice of all those left, Amber is obviously what they are looking for as much as she is being pimped relentlessly (regardless of pitch issues on more than one occasion - not saying others haven't had pitches issues but Amber gets standing O's even when there were in-your-face obvious issues), Angie is beautiful and does have a good voice, Kree has wonderful moments and I love her bluesy choices. I think the judges have way overstepped on some of their critiques. They have intentionally slammed one contestant to prop up another in ways that we haven't seen in previous seasons and I hate it. It smacks of impure intentions and nastiness. I think the public is perfectly capable of knowing who the judges prefer without the judges getting down into that particular mud pit. If they are critiquing one contestant leave the others out of it.
    sparklete likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady View Post
    Just my opinion. I much prefer what Candace just did.

And they're calling Candace old-fashioned? Jeesh! The Powers That Be must really want Amber over Candace.
    The over pimpage of Amber has gone over board. But frankly the constant & continual voical gymnastics of Candice has worn out it's welcome as well. I'm glad someone is finally calling her on it!

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    Bleh... I do not like how Amber is screetching MacArthur Park. I'm sure the judges will rave & rave over it.
    No one & I mean NO ONE & yes I am including Carrie on this (and everyone here knows how I feel about her) but NO ONE can make a silk purse out of this sow's ear of a song. It is the worst song in the history of songs. Jimmy wanted to say it, but he had to hold back, so I'll say it for him. The 3 tenors couldn't make this god awful piece of tripe sound good. I left the cake out in the rain.....well now you got sponge cake, get over it!

Quote Originally Posted by mom3 View Post
    Who was the "one hit wonder" who sang that song? Certainly not the Bee Gees...
    Samantha Sang.

I am at a loss as to how A Whiter Shade Of Pale fir into the 1 Hit Wonder category. Obviously the biggest rendition of the song came from Procol Harum but they had 2 other Top 40 hits. This one has me at a loss. Anyohe got the answer?

+ Reply to Thread