+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: 4/24 AI 12 Top 4 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/24 AI 12 Top 4 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    I personally liked Amber last night in her entirety. She's been my favorite for weeks and I can't understand where the "pitchy" and "arrogant" comments come from. Wasn't she the one who was lacking in confidence early in the competition? Also, is the second song Amber sang really that hated by people? I actually like that song, personally. Jimmy looked like a moron because all his comments were based on how much he hates the song, not Amber's actual performance. I didn't know this Jimmy guy before this season (last season I watched was the one Jordin won), but man I dislike him a lot.

Regarding the other ladies, Candice underperformed in her solos, but her duet with Angie was amazing. Kree has, for weeks become so boring. Her voice is amazing, no doubt about that, but she's just become so dull. She was a tiny bit more lively this week, because last week she was like the undead on that stage. As for Angie, her duet and second song were great, but me and my mother both hated her first performance. I don't even know what the heck that song was other than a jumbled, garbled mess. I can't understand why everybody liked it, but that's just me.
    Yes I love Amber too, but Yes I think McAuthur park is a terrible song but I think she did a great job with the song
    BTW likes this.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too...

Quote Originally Posted by DezBelle View Post
    Yes I love Amber too, but Yes I think McAuthur park is a terrible song but I think she did a great job with the song
    I love the song (Richard Harris' version), but I think she was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Keith had two GREAT hits, IMO. One was You'll Think of Me in 2004. Another was Making Memories Of Us. Here's the video.
    Keith Urban - Making Memories Of Us - YouTube

He wrote neither song.

I have never been impressed with anything else he has done. Nice guy though. He's very fortunate to be where he is in the country field.
    Any song that has the lyrics "Take your cat and leave my sweater" I just can't take seriously.

I did like Who Wouldn't Wanna be Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    I think Jimmy is the record producer who signs these kids - at least the winner - up. He knows the industry up one side and down the other. It may be more involved than this, but although he isn't the be all and end all, still we can't just thrown all his remarks out the window. This guy basically knows his stuff. What we can get him for are his personal opinions. Financially, there is a lot for him at stake. He just didn't like "McArthur's Park" which always seemed like a silly song to me as well although it was a huge hit at time it originally came out.
    BTW, there were a lot of songs during a certain span of time that were loaded down with symbolism and innuendos but on the surface seemed like silly and maybe even fun songs. For whatever it is worth, most people just shrugged their shoulders and said that they thought the writers of the songs were on some kind drug or other, usually "trippin' or smoking" when they wrote the songs, hence the wacky lyrics.
    Regarding MacArthur Park and the lyrics, the story I heard what that Jimmy Webb (writer of the song) explained it was about a love affair that had ended. Also, supposedly, she was getting married in MacArthur Park and he went and hid out somewhere. It rained and the cake started to melt. I personally love the lyrics, but I like songs that are more "poetic" than just 2 or 3 lines repeated over and over for the sake of a "sound."
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-25-2013 at 07:42 PM.
    ilja likes this.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

No you're not the only one who does not like Angie. ok I like her as a person, her voice is good, but she irritates the %&&% out of me, yes she beautiful but yes when she looks in the camera I want to slap her ....
    Same here, she may be a nice young lady if you know her personally, but her on-air persona comes off as fake and somewhat vain. She bores me and irritates the heck out of me. Her sheep's eyes at the camera -- I could live without...

No you're not the only one who does not like Angie. ok I like her as a person, her voice is good, but she irritates the %&&% out of me, yes she beautiful but yes when she looks in the camera I want to slap her ....
    And where would you have her look. The guy is on the stage right in front of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Regarding MacArthur Park and the lyrics, the story I heard what that Jimmy Webb (writer of the song) explained it was about a love affair that had ended. Also, supposedly, she was getting married in MacArthur Park and he went and hid out somewhere. It rained and the cake started to melt. I personally love the lyrics, but I like songs that are more "poetic" than just 2 or 3 lines repeated over and over for the sake of a "sound."
    Personally I think the guy had ingested a big old hit of window pain & those lyrics were LSD induced . It was the 60's after all.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-25-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Personally I think the guy had ingested a big old hit of window pain & those lyrics were LSD induced . It was the 60's after all.
    Could be. Like you said, it was the 60s, and a lot was between the lines back then. I always liked Jimmy Webb as a songwriter, and to me the lyrics say going on after losing the love of your life.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

What a mess! I just do not get what the judges are hearing. Amber is just not all that. However; Kree and Candice are not helping themselves with their song choices.

It's just so obvious what is going on. Voters shmoters, it was preordained a gal was going to win, as shown by the guys that were pushed forward, and now the judges/producers are shoving their choice down our throats.
    NCLurker and sparklete like this.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Yeah, but...Procol Harum had another hit in 1967 just 4 months after Whiter Shade Of Pale. It was called Homburg & got to #34.
    Procol Harum reinvented itself quite a few times. According to it's history or as they call it the "pedigree" on the Procol Harum site, the group's composition changed 3 months after WSoP in 1967. A drummer and guitar player left the group ... so PH had a different drummer and guitar player when Homburg made the hit list.

It seems highly contrived, I know, but since the group as it existed has only that one hit ...WSoP ... it technically is a one hit wonder.

Okay ... what do I win?

Seriously .... it is actually pretty interesting.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

So boring! Loved Lee though! Great song!
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    There are multiple interpretations of and opinions regarding the meaning of the lyrics of MacArthur Park. They range from the unrequited love to the green icing on the cake symbolizing hashish and melting minds!

The important thing is that having NO idea what the song means does not lend itself to a good performance. Jimmy was correct.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I am so much in the minority here. I loved Donna Summer's version of MacArthur Park and I loved Emotion by Samantha Sang. I even had the 8 track of her album titled "Emotion" which I wore out playing it so much when I was a teenager. The Bee Gees didn't record that song until 2001 although Robin and Barry co-wrote it and Barry sung backgrounds vocals on Samantha's hit version in 1978.
    NFL1, RealVoyeur and ilja like this.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

+ Reply to Thread