+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: 4/24 AI 12 Top 4 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/24 AI 12 Top 4 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    .... Also, I have to weigh in on the bussing that Keith gave to Kree last night. Just a couple of weeks back he had already given her a place as a member of the Opry, & I suspect he was dusting off a corner in the Country Music Hall Of Fame, but I don't ever remember Kree coming out & saying that she was interested in a Country career. Perhaps, Keith has cooled on her because of that?
    Keith had the same disinterested look on his face during Scotty's performance as if he really, really didn't like it. Maybe neither one of them (and they are on opposite ends of the country pole) slide into Keith's country comfort zone. I don't know...he is saying she is choosing middle of the road songs and not pushing...so she must be receiving lousy advice from the producers and coaches.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I agree with that part of what Keith said about not pushing and picking old, odd, nonimpressive songs, however, a lot of times, I find Keith's opinions rather odd. Normally he loves songs that I don't care for. And while Scotty's performance recently wasn't all that good, neither was Keith's. I thought he sounded horrible when he performed AND I thought the song was horrible too.

I don't know either. A Whiter Sade of Pale has been done by many singer/songwriters. I know that Willie Nelson has it on several of his albums and sounds great. While not on this topic, Emotion is one of the BeeGee's worst songs and why it was picked is beyond me. Not a good choice. I don't like all the vocal gyrations that the judges seem to love. Kree has a certain tone to her voice that I love and she keeps things simple. I really hope that the judges don't influence her to go for runs and trills that don't suit her choices.
    sparklete likes this.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    I think Jimmy is the record producer who signs these kids - at least the winner - up. He knows the industry up one side and down the other. It may be more involved than this, but although he isn't the be all and end all, still we can't just thrown all his remarks out the window. This guy basically knows his stuff. What we can get him for are his personal opinions. Financially, there is a lot for him at stake. He just didn't like "McArthur's Park" which always seemed like a silly song to me as well although it was a huge hit at time it originally came out.
    I almost always agree with Jimmy, and as the producer the judges can't or shouldn't just tell contestants to ignore him...THEY are the ones smokin something somethin. I really miss watching the sessions with Jimmy and the guest mentor from last year...this year only a few recording studio type clips vs. helping with arrangements, etc. Throw out the judges and bring on Jimmy and a couple other producers to be the critiquers - they are more likely to tell it like it IS.

If Nikki stays she's gotta stop with the "my wife" or honey child, clown clothing (I realize she plays a character), or sexual innuendos (she's been better lately) and cussing that gets bleeped OR get her off my TV. Eventhough she tells the truth lately, not before Curtis and her boy toys were sent home though.
    ibot2much and Debb70 like this.

I loved Kree's first and second songs and didn't find them boring at all. But that's just me. I have never liked Amber or Candace's uptempo songs. The only one that I liked on uptempo songs was Janelle. But she wasn't my favorite and could have made better choices on her ballads. She had some pitch problems and wasn't vocally as good as the other four. Still, if they were going to have a non elimination week, I wish she had been in it (if for no other reason that it would add more variety to the pack.

I do agree with some comments that various judges and Jimmy have said over the years. I do think that the viewers want to see and hear the contestant perform like it's a sample of what the viewer will see in the future of the artist. Whether it's their fault or not, these old songs that they perform in such a boring manner, don't do much to wet the appetite. It has just the opposite effect.

And, the judges have commented on the contestant having a moment in their peformance. These moments are important, yet we see them perform songs that allow the singer no moments.

I am curious as to how much imput the producers have. I mean did anyone approach them and say, hey, I don't think that song comes close to doing what you want it to do. Recall Kree said she picked her first song because it's a song she always liked. So did no one challenge her? Maybe these girls just don't have the experience to make these decision, despite what we have been led to believe.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Recall Kree said she picked her first song because it's a song she always liked. So did no one challenge her? Maybe these girls just don't have the experience to make these decision, despite what we have been led to believe.
    That's why I always enjoyed seeing Jimmy's first session with the contestant...singing the song in front of him and the visiting mentor...often he gave critiques and at least once (James? Jessica Sanchez) suggestions made the huge difference.

For One Hit Wonders, I also wondered if the song choice list was weak and short...so they didn't have much choice.

Quote Originally Posted by VAgirl79 View Post
    Naturally. That's why they didn't use it on Janelle last week even though they needed to for time's sake. They were afraid Amber would get eliminated.

Never mind that the rule was clearly stated by Ryan when this started that (the SAVE) HAD to be used by Top 5. Details, details...

If Kree or Candice benefits from this, good for them. They've both been tossed under the bus enough as it is.
    I believe that "the twist" is that it will just be a non-result/non-elimination leg in this NOT SO amazing race!

Bottom line is that the SAVE was not used, and the twist just saves all FOUR(4) . If they are/were going to do that, they should have told us not to bother voting! Why not just announce that it is a double performance week?

I "get" that they are trying to keep it interesting and unexpected but for me it stops at the "trying" part ... very trying!

Please forgive all my quotation marks!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I am at a loss as to how A Whiter Shade Of Pale fir into the 1 Hit Wonder category. Obviously the biggest rendition of the song came from Procol Harum but they had 2 other Top 40 hits. This one has me at a loss. Anyohe got the answer?
    If someone has already suggested this ... I apologize.

I am just guessing here, but perhaps they are considering WSoP a One Hit Wonder because this may be the only hit Procol Harum had while the organist (Fisher) was part of the group. He is the one with the long lawsuit claiming co-writing credit for this song.

In other words, the composition of the group, Procol Harum as it was when WSoP was a hit ... changed 2-2 1/2 years later when Fisher left the group.. Again ... this is just my humble and wild guess.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I believe that "the twist" is that it will just be a non-result/non-elimination leg in this NOT SO amazing race!

Bottom line is that the SAVE was not used, and the twist just saves all FOUR(4) . If they are/were going to do that, they should have told us not to bother voting! Why not just announce that it is a double performance week?
    My guess is that the producers committed to X episodes and they planned for the save to be used in that time. Even though the save wasn't used, they still need to deliver the correct number of TV episodes, so there we are. They can't tell us in advance that it's non-elimination because they want us to tune in tonight (which we totally wouldn't do if we know that nobody's going home), so "a twist!" it is...

+ Reply to Thread