+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: 4/24 AI 12 Top 4 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 4/24 AI 12 Top 4 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    I personally liked Amber last night in her entirety. She's been my favorite for weeks and I can't understand where the "pitchy" and "arrogant" comments come from. Wasn't she the one who was lacking in confidence early in the competition? Also, is the second song Amber sang really that hated by people? I actually like that song, personally. Jimmy looked like a moron because all his comments were based on how much he hates the song, not Amber's actual performance. I didn't know this Jimmy guy before this season (last season I watched was the one Jordin won), but man I dislike him a lot.

Regarding the other ladies, Candice underperformed in her solos, but her duet with Angie was amazing. Kree has, for weeks become so boring. Her voice is amazing, no doubt about that, but she's just become so dull. She was a tiny bit more lively this week, because last week she was like the undead on that stage. As for Angie, her duet and second song were great, but me and my mother both hated her first performance. I don't even know what the heck that song was other than a jumbled, garbled mess. I can't understand why everybody liked it, but that's just me.
    I think Jimmy is the record producer who signs these kids - at least the winner - up. He knows the industry up one side and down the other. It may be more involved than this, but although he isn't the be all and end all, still we can't just thrown all his remarks out the window. This guy basically knows his stuff. What we can get him for are his personal opinions. Financially, there is a lot for him at stake. He just didn't like "McArthur's Park" which always seemed like a silly song to me as well although it was a huge hit at time it originally came out.
    BTW, there were a lot of songs during a certain span of time that were loaded down with symbolism and innuendos but on the surface seemed like silly and maybe even fun songs. For whatever it is worth, most people just shrugged their shoulders and said that they thought the writers of the songs were on some kind drug or other, usually "trippin' or smoking" when they wrote the songs, hence the wacky lyrics.
    ilja and Orchardgirl like this.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Bloomers,

Cry Me A RIver was the 1 & only hit for Julie London back in 1955.

I don't think there is anything that Jimmy has said that I disagreed with. I think he's pretty much correct in his analysis.

I did agree with Nicki last night when she told Kree that her first song was not top 4 worthy. I do wonder if Kree can build her self-esteem back up in order to recover.
    Orchardgirl likes this.

I'll throw my hat in the ring and also say this is a snoozefest of a season. No one is unique. Yes, they may sing slightly different genres (blues/country/christian/gospel), but all they do is stand there and sing. I KNOW this is a 'singing competition' and they all have great voices, but could we maybe put some life into the singing? I know Janelle didn't have the best voice of the 5, but at least she always looked like she was having fun and she moved around the stage. The standing still and belting (or making googoo eyes at the camera close-ups) is driving me nuts. I'd take a rocker, beat-boxer, rapper or any number of other things just to make it more interesting. I feel like watching this show has been an obligation this season rather than an enjoyment.

SYTYCD can't be here soon enough!!!
    Misty8723 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Bloomers,

Cry Me A RIver was the 1 & only hit for Julie London back in 1955.
    Thank you so much... I don't think I have ever heard that version or of heard of her. Out of curiosity, now, I will have to try and find it.

Also, I thought of something else! Keith wanted to know why someone had not chosen a "one hit wonder" from the past decade. In my maybe not so humble opinion, it's too early to pick one from the past decade. Those artists still have time to come back, record, and score another hit, whereas the likelihood of an artist from twenty, thiry, or more years hitting another hit after that amount of time is not great at all.
    ilja and Orchardgirl like this.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Good point Bloomers about one hit wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Not sure if you are joking or not LOL, but I agree 1,000%!

I am SO not caring about this season! I watched Amber last night and I thought she was actually really good. Candice came up and sang me to sleep! I didn't see the other two perform yet LOL. So no one gets eliminated tonight? No reason to watch it then - woo hoo! It's probably because the judges refused to use their save, therefore they needed a non elimination week to fill out the season.
    Only half-way kidding. Really more teasing to those who complained and complained and complained and complained the last few years about the WGWGs. I am so over judging someone by their race, gender and choice of musical instrument. To me it's a matter of the viewers deciding who they prefer and the options given for voting which are often easier for the younger crowd since they are more technilogically advanced than us old fogies.

I personally believe that if someone is not good enough to compete with the WGWG or anyone else for that matter, not based on some politically correct criteria but based on their talent and appeal, then they are not good enough to carry an entire season of AI, much less a real career as an Idol winner.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    It is funny that AI searched for great female singers to stop the train that was the WGWG......but numbers are way down. What was it last week----reruns of The Big Bang Theory beat AI in ratings???? The reason? Those veiwers who voted for the WGWG (be it young or old females because we have heard both groups are responsible for the WGWG winners) are not watching the girls.

So yet again, AI TPTB blew it by NOT knowing their viewing audience.

Even here, faithful viewers are posting that they find the show boring. Why? No cute guys. LOL
    I know the few times that I've watched this year, which have been very few, I did not watch the entire show because I was so easily distracted.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Its very wrong to just decide, a girl should win, then set about to throw any guy that is good under a bus.
    I heard the ad for the show, its been 6 years since a female won AI. Okay, so maybe there were none good enough-no wonder AI has slipped, and was beaten by a repeat show
    Exactly! I'm tired of the whining. Either show up or shut up. Well, maybe not that harsh but you know what I mean.

I know what I'm about to say is not really acceptable these days but I'm old enough to wear purple hats which means I'm old enough to just not care as much about what folks think about me because of my opinions. To me it comes down to human nature and no amount of re-conditioning and guilt-tripping is going to change that. I remember many, many moons ago when I would to out to a club and listen to a band, a big part of the fun was picking out the member whom I found the most attractive and really enjoying his performance. There is nothing wrong with that.
    Misty8723 and Orchardgirl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    Thank you so much... I don't think I have ever heard that version or of heard of her. Out of curiosity, now, I will have to try and find it.

Also, I thought of something else! Keith wanted to know why someone had not chosen a "one hit wonder" from the past decade. In my maybe not so humble opinion, it's too early to pick one from the past decade. Those artists still have time to come back, record, and score another hit, whereas the likelihood of an artist from twenty, thiry, or more years hitting another hit after that amount of time is not great at all.
    I have been doing a lot of research into the Billboard Top 40 beginning with the first edition of Casey Kasem's American Top 40 that aired on July 4th 1970. And what I have found that there are many artists that have multiple hits for a period of years & then disappear from the charts only to make a comeback 8 to 10 years later or even more. tom Jones for instance, while not a 1 Hit Wonder had a stretch of 11 years between hits, The Temptations had a hit in 1976 then waited until 1991 before they made their final appearance on the charts. Glorian Gaynor had just 2 hits & they were 5 years apart, General Public spread their 2 hits out over 9 years. So, I think you are correct.

Also, I have to weigh in on the bussing that Keith gave to Kree last night. Just a couple of weeks back he had already given her a place as a member of the Opry, & I suspect he was dusting off a corner in the Country Music Hall Of Fame, but I don't ever remember Kree coming out & saying that she was interested in a Country career. Perhaps, Keith has cooled on her because of that?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I have been doing a lot of research into the Billboard Top 40 beginning with the first edition of Casey Kasem's American Top 40 that aired on July 4th 1970. And what I have found that there are many artists that have multiple hits for a period of years & then disappear from the charts only to make a comeback 8 to 10 years later or even more. tom Jones for instance, while not a 1 Hit Wonder had a stretch of 11 years between hits, The Temptations had a hit in 1976 then waited until 1991 before they made their final appearance on the charts. Glorian Gaynor had just 2 hits & they were 5 years apart, General Public spread their 2 hits out over 9 years. So, I think you are correct.

Also, I have to weigh in on the bussing that Keith gave to Kree last night. Just a couple of weeks back he had already given her a place as a member of the Opry, & I suspect he was dusting off a corner in the Country Music Hall Of Fame, but I don't ever remember Kree coming out & saying that she was interested in a Country career. Perhaps, Keith has cooled on her because of that?
    She almost always has the "country" sound whether she does blues with it or not, and I think that is what the experienced in that field Keith is picking up on. Also, Kree does this whole Texas with the boots thing that she emphasizes once in a while. I can't help but stereotype here, sorry, but the general Texas flair if you have ever visited there or have relatives in that "neck of the woods" pushes the country theme - the famous Houston Rodeo is country up one side and down the other, and Houston is the nation's 4th largest city.

FORT Fogey

The hugest one hit wonder that immediately comes to my mind which would have been a good choice for Angie but not as much of an impact choice as "Cry Me a River" was "You Light Up My Life" by Debbie Boone, recording and movie star Pat Boone's daughter in the 70s. That hit made it in both Pop and in the Christian industry at the same time.
    Orchardgirl likes this.

+ Reply to Thread