+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: 4/10 AI 12 Top 6 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/10 AI 12 Top 6 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by WinkyD View Post

What a load of "Let's marginalize Lazaro" that crap crying-over-someone-the judges-didn't-save opening was, showing Laz NOT hugging/being hugged by Burnell; editing Lazaro's words to "I'm confident I'll get to the Top Five." What question preceded that? What words of Lazaro preceded that?

FEH. Feh to you, too, Angela, for Re-Tweeting hateful-to-Lazaro Tweets.

HA! KU just basically called Angela ("Anyone Who Had a Heart")a robot! Nicki: "Old-fashioned." Mariah is telling her that perfect enunciation is passionless.

How's the bus feel, ANGIE?
    But you have to agree.. Laz was terrible tonight..
    BTW likes this.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too...

BTW
    FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DezBelle View Post
    no youre not....she was great
    True that her performance was outstanding, but I won't be disappointed if any of the girls win. They are all terrific!!

FORT Fogey

Dayum. Candice was amazing. Left everyone in the dust...miles behind.

LOVE HER!
    NCLurker likes this.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

I had to pause in the middle of Lazaro's first song, both because I needed to open threads in Survivor and my cringe needed a rest. Talk about wrong key, tempo off with the band, etc.

Deep breath. Can't wait to hear all the girls tonight.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Well ... I was always a Carpenters fan and Lazaro screwed it up really royally.

The other problem I had was that "The Dance" is one of my favorite songs. I have told people I want it played at my funeral ... but please ... not with Janelle singing it. Janelle is a talented and beautiful girl and I think the judges have really chipped away at her confidence. I feel really sorry for her.

Honestly, I think Janelle is heads and shoulders better than Amber ... but for some reason I am getting the strange feeling that they would love to have an Amber Candace, Kree F3. I think it should be an Angie, Candace, Kree F3.

Remember that "likability" that Simon always talked about? I think Candace is outstanding but I think she is missing that one thing. I mean I don't DISlike her, she just doesn't have that likable, relateable thing going for her..
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

But, man, Candice can sing the blues. This magnificent performance was on par with the best of the best in cabaret. I loved it.

Kree sang one of my all time favorite songs as the one she wished she had written. It can be sung sultry or twangy, or it can be sung Kree. Beautiful.
    NCLurker and sparklete like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    Dayum. Candice was amazing. Left everyone in the dust...miles behind.
    I'm pretty jaded about "best Idol performance EVAR" being spouted off by the judges, remembering so many great ones. But yeah, I'll put this one up on the shelf with the other jaw-droppers. When she nailed that first descending run so effortlessly I was hooked and she didn't waver. Wow. Just wow.

April 10, 2013: The Top Six

1. Candace Glover: This one was a 1-2 slam dunk for Candace. In my mind, she overwhelmed the competition tonight. Donít Make me Over was wonderfully presented, the only Burt Bacharach composition that interested me tonight. But man, oh man, her version of Adeleís Love Song was pure shock and awe; downright spine-tingling; loaded with emotion, purpose, and exquisite musicianship. That thing was in a league all its own; easily the best performance of this season; earning top honors on my list of the Top 12 Performances of Season 12 AND a place on my Top Idol Performances of All Time. I said before and Iíll say again; she is indeed the best singer of season 12 and what she did tonight did nothing to change my mind. I still think Kree will win though. Assuming minimum impact from The Lazaro Factor, this should reduce to a three way race between Kree, Candace, and Angie. I love Amber and it would be a pleasant surprise if she made the Finals but Iím just not seeing it. Randy called Love Song the best performance in the history of singing competitions. Thatís his honest opinion and heís entitled to it, precisely because art is completely subjective. I donít like it; you like it; but neither is wrong; if done right, there is no absolute; no singular meaning; the very nature of art is to create new experiences for divergent sensibilities. I have done it before but will paraphrase Archibald Macleish again, ďart should not mean, but beĒ (Ars Poetica). So Iíll just say that I think Listen (Regina Ivanova, Indonesian Idol, 2012), Someone Like You (Regina Ivanova), as well as The Prayer (Anthony Callea, Australian Idol, 2004) were better. But, this one is certainly in the conversation. Good job, Candace!
    2. Kree Harrison: I looked it up on the internet and a ďbuckle polisherĒ is country slang for a song thatís good to slow dance to. Good one, Keith. Thanks for sharing. What The World Needs Now was okay; a good listen; beautifully presented, and believable, but a bit boring for me. I am in the minority I know but I really donít like the Burt Bacharach/Hal David theme at all; all good songs but not dynamic enough for prime time. Sorry but thatís my honest opinion. Help Me Make it Through The Night was also beautifully presented, honest, and real. Kree is a true artist; a wonderful caresser of lyrics so can sing anything and make us believe it. Usually I love it when emotionally transparent women take male songs and wrap them up in feminine warmth, but this As Is performance didn't allow for much of that. I was not as captivated by this performance as the judges. But, yes, it was beautiful. I loved the original, as well as the Sammi Smith and Willie Nelson (my favorite) covers, but this one was not in that league. I donít know. I love Kree; and I still believe that she will win, so maybe IĎm still grumpy from a steady diet of resurrected rock songs from last week. I'll get over it. Good job, Kree!
    3. Angie Miller. I got nothing from Anyone Who had A Heart but absolutely loved her cover of Kari Jobeís Love Came Down. As I long suspected, Angieís problem on Idol is a simple one: sheís either unwilling or unable to commit to secular music. Thatís how it played out so far. Tonight, for the first time since You Set Me Free, I believed her; I felt her passion; I joined her journey; and I was happy to share it with her. This was a magnificent performance. This is the Angie I had hoped to hear every Tuesday night but because of the themes and of course her discomfort with secular music, we rarely got to see the real Angie. Thatís too bad because the real Angie is an absolute treasure. Good job, Angie!
    4. Amber Holcomb: Both Say a Little Prayer and Love on Top were very good performances. No doubt. But compared to the others, this was fourth best. Sure, Love On Top is a good song, a huge R&B hit; a Grammy winner for Best R&B Female, but spent only one week on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart (#20) so Middle America is not very familiar with this song. And since they are not, it wonít attract new voters from this most meaningful and important demographic. Given all the wonderful R&B songs out there; all the top shelf Beyonce songs out here, itís surprising that Amber would pick this song. As I said; art is very subjective; so perhaps this song is exactly what she'd hoped to pen. If so, who am I to question her choices, so Iíll just say that strategically, this was not the way to go.
    5. Janelle Arthur. Innovative and Creative Janelle became one of my favorites this season, but, Iím not feeling the As Is Janelle as much. To be fair, the last two themes did nothing to help her cause, but, Kree is also a country singer and she thrived and shone, so it wouldnít be fair to blame tonightís boring performances on the Idol themes. Sadly, I begin to accept that Janelle, one of my favorite contestants ever, is, like Lazaro, out of her depth; just too many girls who do it better and too many girls with bigger voices and better talent. Tell me, how is it even possible that anyone could not have at least heard The Dance? Jeez Mariah, I love you, we love you, but you need to get out more. If you can find the time in the future, please listen to If Tomorrow Never Comes, The River, Unanswered Prayers, The Change, and More Than a Memory. Youíll love them. Garth gives good music.
    6. Lazaro Arbos. I have never been a Lazaro fan but he is a lovable guy when not singing. Having said that, his Close To You was without doubt the worst vocal Iíve ever heard on the Idol stage. Mariah and Keith expressed dismay over his failure to adjust to an impeding key change but Iím not quite sure what they expected of him, since itís practically impossible to recognize a key change when trapped in the wrong key.

Smart Choices: I started working on these last week. It is incomplete but this is what I'm thinking.

Angie Miller:
    1. The A Team (Too Cold For Angels to Fly)-----Ed Sheeran. The lyric describes the underbelly of society; drugs, prostitution, and failures to cope, but, the composition also features a wonderful storyline, mellifluous melody, and very intelligent lyrics. She can always change the words to fit her faith.
    2. Dancing-----Elisa. This beautiful song has been featured three times on So You Think You Can Dance, where I first heard it (thanks, Nigel). I still havenít been able to get it out of my head. Itís a secular love song but perfect for her voice and what she likes to do.
    Candace Glover:
    1. I Look to You-----Kim Burrell and Whitney Houston (duet). Whitneyís emotional account of a woman looking for salvation and a savior. This song is the most and best selling single from her last album. Itís a tear-jerker of the first magnitude.
    2. Someone Like You-----Adele. Adeleís heartbreaking and emotional account of a woman trying to cope with a failed relationship and consumed by love for a man about to marry another. I would give a weekís pay to hear Candace sing this song. It is guaranteed to bring down the house. It is a perfect fit for her voice and artistry.
    3. If I Could-----Regina Belle. This is also a perfect fit for her voice and artistry. Timeless; one of the most beautiful R&B and consummate love songs on record; loaded with pain, passion, and heart-felt emotion.
    Amber Holcomb:
    1. Listen-----Beyonce. I donít really have a feel for who she is as an artist, but with those pipes, I am certain she would absolutely nail this song on the Idol stage.
    2. The Power of the Dream-----Celine Dion. One of the most vocally challenging pop songs ever written. I picked it because itís a perfect vehicle for her soaring and seemingly unlimited upper register. And she will need every bit of it to make it through this octave changing minefield.
    Kree Harrison:
    1. Anyway-----Martina McBride. Just the thought of Kree deep inside this insanely beautiful melody, exquisite lyrics, and emotional cocoon sends chills down my spine.
    2. Gods Will-----Martina McBride. Another wonderful composition from the brilliant Martina McBride; one of the most beautiful and moving songs I have ever heard; a bona fide tear jerker; tailor made for the tortured and turbulent soul of Kree Harrison.
    Janelle Arthur:
    1. When You Say Nothing At All-----Alison Krauss. The song most men wish all women lived by; the symbiotic recognition and acknowledgement of a love without words; saying nothing at all. Itís a perfect fit for her voice and artistic temperament.
    2. Stay-----Sugarland. An emotional and somber story of a woman faced with the realization and awakening that she must part ways with the love of her life because of his infidelity; very similar to the songs that made her so popular a few weeks ago; a perfect fit for her voice.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 04-11-2013 at 06:11 AM.

FORT Fogey

I am trying to guess who will be in the bottom 2. Impossible. we know it should be Lazaro and Janelle but will it?

They won't save Janelle because she cannot win so why waste the save. Even if it is their last chance to use it. Saving someone means a double elimination the following week, yes?

Nicki is wrong when she says Angie cannot win unless she sticks with the piano. I like Angie with or without it. My top 3 are Kee, Angie and Amber.

This show desperately needs to limit voting per person and stop being so proud to announce how many millions votes they received.

Oh my......everyone on their feet and praising Candice. Guess we have our winner. Best in the history of AI? ok, I'm ready for The Voice. She just isn't my favorite. I don't like tourch singers. I don't see kids rushing to dowload her songs either.

I love Ambers jacket for her second song.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Amber was outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Am I the only one here tonight?
    I thought it was about as off key in multiple places as it could have been.
    NCLurker and ibot2much like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast