+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 4/3 AI 12 Top 7 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/3 AI 12 Top 7 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

The whole show was pretty much of a snorefest. I'm still waiting for a WOW! moment from somebody, anybody...
    Shoepie and sparklete like this.

ORIANTHE!!! She is so cool, and a good singer as well. She was the opening act for the Adam Lambert concert I attended a few years ago.

I'm just starting the show, but I did notice that no Jimmy coaching shown tonight...interesting. Also, the Lazaro half of the Lazaro/Angie duet got one bit of praise when Mariah thought they had a true moment with the last note. So Sad.

Okay...onward

How cool that Kree's grandmother went to high school with Janis Joplin, and that Kree was born in the same hospital. Ouch - a pinched nerve effecting her right arm. I wonder if she got that from ironing? LOL

I'm liking the Jimmy replacement bits with insights and fellow ragging.

The Burnell/Candice duet was truly a duet even though she overpowered him at times; and Janelle's solo was so her. I think they are right in that middle American girls will relate to her the most of any of the contestants. After all, she is one of them.

Got to give Lazaro props. He came out strong with Champions and carried that attitude all the way through. He's not going home.

Candice wailed on "Satisfaction" and Orianthe wailed on the Keith Richard guitar parts. Wow.

Amber was another one showing power throughout the song. I thought she did a credible job. I do love her tone and range.

Angie gets the piano, the fog and the wind machine. She built the song and ended with power, but I do prefer her in softer mode.

It was fun to see Joshua and Holly in the audience. Welcome to LA, Holly.

Casey James and Carrie Underwood perform tomorrow night.

Here's a wish for healing for the two wounded warriors - Kree with her pinched nerve and Candice with her broken toe.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-04-2013 at 01:11 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

OK, now I don't know why Burnell chose that Bon Jovi song and didn't do much with it. However, how was Lazaro allowed to sing a non-uptempo song? I thought he was going to sing We Are the Champions but that is a rock ballad and they wouldn't allow it.

That being said, Amber sang a rock ballad no matter what you say about it! I don't get the standing O from Nicki and Randy.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 04-04-2013 at 01:44 AM.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar
    I just finished tonight's show. And the contestant with the least favorable edit goes to Candace. I did like her, but after seeing how she portrayed herself tonight, I really don't. It doesn't seem like she likes or gets along well with anyone. Kree got the "winner's edit" and I think tonight may have sealed it for her.

Vocally I preferred:

1. Amber
    2. Janelle
    3. Angie
    4. Kree
    5. Candace
    6. Laz
    7. Burnell

I didn't enjoy tonight too much. It was a bit karaoke to me, especially Burnell. I predict he goes tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by WinkyD View Post
    Kree is not only no Janis; she has no expression that fits the lyrics (proud to say I saw JJ!!). Blah. And she looks blah.
    I thought she was going for Faith Hill not Janis and I thought she kinda nailed it. Vocally she's good but I am still not sure she's a star.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-04-2013 at 01:33 AM.
    Do you want to see the Cook Islands Great Humpback Whale? Ozazy Lusth from Survivor! Ozzy, I want to see the great cook Islands Humpback Whale!

I did the tweet for genre. If you are on Twitter, it's easy to do. You click the button set up at the American Idol website and it asks you to sign in to Twitter, then a ready made conversation screen with the # is set up for you. All you do is type in the genre.
    Shoepie likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I prefer the song selections I made for the contestants on another thread. I only got one right and that is Angie with Bring Me To Life by Evanescence. Only song from 90s, while Lazaro sang one from 70s. A couple from the 60s and the rest from the 80s.

April 03, 2013: The Top Seven

This was not a good night for me. As is, this theme (Rock) didn’t work tonight. In fact, with the exception of Adam Lambert (Whole Lotta Love, Led Zeppelin), James Durbin (Uprising, Muse), Bo Bice (Whipping Post, Allman Brothers), Casey James (Jealous Guy), and Lee Dewyze (The Boxer, Simon and Garfunkel); more often than not, it does not succeed. The songs heard tonight aren’t traditional rock at all, but faux- and pop rock (which is okay, if that's the best I can get). In addition, they are dated; e.g. with just one song less than ten years old (Bring Me to Life). Finally, most of these rock songs are not very interesting and do not give good television. Okay, I understand the show must play to its demographic; it determine revenue and television commercial fees, etc. I get it. I also understand why the two best contemporary rock bands, The Arcade Fire and Radiohead aren’t featured here (too esoteric; cerebral rock is also not good television). I can also accept that Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slipknot, etc will never be featured either (that rock is too real; too hard). But I do not understand why quality, contemporary, melodic rock songs continue to be left off the list, year after year. C'mon guys! What is so wrong with award-winning and/or nominated (and up-tempo) songs like When You Were Young (The Killers), Sex on Fire (Kings of Leon), Second Chance (Shinedown), or The Pretender (Foo Fighters)? There are also some very beautiful, television-friendly rock ballads: Wherever You Will Go (The Calling), Pink’s hauntingly beautiful Nobody Knows, Avril Lavigne’s When You’re Gone, etc. And what’s wrong with Stone Cold Sober (Paloma Faith)? Ironic (Alanis Morrisette)? Spectrum (Florence and the Machine)? There are literally tons of good contemporary rock songs that are television and Idol friendly. The producers just need to replace Classic Rock with Contemporary Rock. That would help retain interest, because honestly, tonight was a difficult listen and an equally difficult watch.

1. Kree Harrison. This was probably the best of the night but it was mostly downhill from here. Kree is as real as it gets, so I believe her, no matter what she sings, no matter the genre. Tonight was no exception.
    2. Janelle Arthur. She made it fun, interesting, and infinitely watchable, but, quite honestly, this performance had nothing to do with rock music.
    3. Angie Miller. Bring Me to Life comes closest to what I expected to hear, and actually wanted to hear tonight. It is a rock song; no doubt about it. I knew as soon as I learned the theme: I knew she picked Bring Me to Life. It just seemed an obvious and perfect fit. She sang it very well; she looked the part; but for whatever reason, didn't play it very well. I didn’t believe a word of it. But at least she picked a contemporary rock song, and on a night like this, that means a lot. I give her full credit for picking a contemporary rock, even if the lines between Classic and Contemporary Rock got crossed here.
    4. Candace Glover. I Can’t Get No Satisfaction can be found topping the list of every Greatest Rock Songs of All Time. Candace also sang it well but the song is as old as time itself, with very little melody; not enough to appease an already unhappy but loyal viewer. For me, this performance was a unpleasant resurrection I did not want. Lots of songs are great, ground-breaking, influential; the reason this song is held in such high regard, but that doesn’t mean that it and Candace is a good match, or, that it and Candace give good television. I love American Idol; her self-appointed #1 fan, but, on this night, Rock and Idol were an unhappy union in need of counseling. It simply didn't work. If this year's competition can't do it, and they know that going in, it would have been better to pick a theme that better fits their capabilities.
    5. Amber Holcomb. Yes, this was an absolutely brilliant vocal. And, yes, Heart is a rock band. But this song is so old; been performed so many times already on this show, I just didn’t want to hear it again; certainly not another As Is version.
    6. Lazaro Arbos. He did the best he could; gave it the attention it deserved; but the song is too old and increasingly over-performed. It has run its course and served its purpose on Idol, so I got nothing from it. Yet another As Is version of a dated rock anthem. Lazaro and Rock are oil and water.
    7. Burnell Taylor. I love Burnell, but, this was an awful performance. I know he’s not a rocker but he didn’t even sing well. Where is Blake Lewis when you need him? He re-created this song brilliantly, with techno synthesizers and beat box. Please, Blake, come back home and show Burnell (and the others) that rock music, like all genres, can indeed be re-created in your own image.

I am sorry for the tone, but I love rock music, and I love American Idol, but, I do not think what we heard tonight represented the genre very well. Even though it's only one man's opinion, it's an honest opinion.

LOL: Media outlets are reporting that Ryan Seacrest is too expensive to keep. Now that's funny...I don't care who you are (country fans will recognize the source).
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 04-04-2013 at 06:19 AM.

FORT Fogey

I am looking forward to what Jimmy says tonight. With some numbers I thought, they are going to get slammed for this but no; they got praise.

Funny how this show now pales in comparison to the Voice. I used to love AI.

Lazaro must have stuffed a sock in those red leggings! If he didn't he has chosen the wrong arena of entertainment.

Candice is good but her style, to me, is dated; she does not radiate current. You have to be more than just a good voice to succeed.

I do like the clips of them imitating each other. They have been better in seasons past though. I don't think this group is as close as we have seen previously.

No standouts for me tonight. I still favor Kree and see her winning.
    sparklete likes this.

liedenfrost,

You name a bunch of rock performances yet you left off the night Carrie sang Alone? That was the night that she began to run away with the show & it doesn't even get a mention? Seriously?

Overall, this wasn't a great night. I think there are a few that could be in danger of going home, but really only one deserves it week after week. But, alas, Laz is most likely going nowhere, but back to the safety of the couch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast