+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: 3/28 AI 12 Top 8 Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 3/28 AI 12 Top 8 Results Show **West Coast Spoilers**

What Lazaro said depending on how you use the word can be a term of endearment, it also is used by people as a way to intimidate someone and rudely. The tone and inflection in the way he said "no problem Boo" was frankly meant to be flippant.

Myself people know not to call me Boo. I don't find it funny or endearing.lol calling me Boo is akin to waking a dragon,lol.

Lazaro's is a nice kid,but the excuses need to leave and so does he.
    RealVoyeur, sclilred1 and JohnnyK like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Man, I must really be out of it. I always thought Boo went with Hoo.
    Lil Bit and echo226 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    What Lazaro said depending on how you use the word can be a term of endearment, it also is used by people as a way to intimidate someone and rudely. The tone and inflection in the way he said "no problem Boo" was frankly meant to be flippant.

Myself people know not to call me Boo. I don't find it funny or endearing.lol calling me Boo is akin to waking a dragon,lol.

Lazaro's is a nice kid,but the excuses need to leave and so does he.
    So it sounds like it can be similar to someone calling a woman honey or sweetheart in the office? A backhanded way of talking down to someone?

I still think it was a mistake of some kind. I did something similar once. I worked for an international company, and we had a male visitor/customer from Japan.
    I learned what I thought was good night/goodbye in Japanese and said it to the man. Our staff ex-pat and the customer looked puzzled and then laughed. Apparently, the form of the phrase and the way I said it is the way a woman speaks to her husband ... or a prostitute speaks to a client!
    Luckily, the customer wasn't offended and appreciated that I attempted to learn a few words in his language.

I can not address vocal "tone and inflection" regarding Lazaro who has a difficult time getting out a couple of words at a time. Really? Inflection?.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

If being called "boo" upsets you then I hope you don't ever have to be a server at a restaurant. I worked as one while I was in college and I don't know how many times people (men mostly) called me "sweetie", "sugar", "honey", etc. Got so I was grateful to be called "ma'am."
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    If being called "boo" upsets you then I hope you don't ever have to be a server at a restaurant. I worked as one while I was in college and I don't know how many times people (men mostly) called me "sweetie", "sugar", "honey", etc. Got so I was grateful to be called "ma'am."
    Lol it does. I don't like being called out of my name without my permission. I hate when men do that. I tell them in a minute that's Ms Diva to you.lol

What is the theme this week?
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lol it does. I don't like being called out of my name without my permission. I hate when men do that.
    I find it equally offensive when women do it. The ladies in my mom's condo building often call me "Honey" or "Sweetheart." I despise it, but they're so sweet I let it go.

However, I don't like it AT ALL when other teachers in the high school I work in call students those same terms of endearment. To me it's just not cool. Kindergarten is one thing, high school quite another.
    Last edited by cubsfan55; 03-30-2013 at 06:43 PM.
    Impossible things are being done every day.

Lol it does. I don't like being called out of my name without my permission. I hate when men do that. I tell them in a minute that's Ms Diva to you.lol

What is the theme this week?
    Classic rock - no ballads allowed.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan55 View Post
    I find it equally offensive when women do it. The ladies in my mom's condo building often call me "Honey" or "Sweetheart." I despise it, but they're so sweet I let it go.

However, I don't like it AT ALL when other teachers in the high school I work in call students those same terms of endearment. To me it's just not cool. Kindergarten is one thing, high school quite another.
    Obviously with Lazaro, boo has some cultural connotation most of us don't quite get. Where I come from honey, baby, sugar, darlin' are part on the culture, and when spoken casually aren't as noticeable as some of the more blatant curse words. The one that cracks me up is to be called "lttle lady" by older Southern gentlemen. Little lady??

BTW, when I was still teaching, twice I was called b****. I have to admit that I didn't like that one.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    Where I come from honey, baby, sugar, darlin' are part on the culture, and when spoken casually aren't as noticeable as some of the more blatant curse words. The one that cracks me up is to be called "lttle lady" by older Southern gentlemen. Little lady??

BTW, when I was still teaching, twice I was called b****. I have to admit that I didn't like that one.
    Bloomers, I posted earlier about the definitions I had for Boo, and they stemmed from my time living in the south.
    Having lived in DFW for 7 years and ATL for 12, I am very familiar with all those terms you mention -- even "little lady"!

And, yes -- the names students call teachers are not always quite as endearing.
    Impossible things are being done every day.

All this talk about Boo is ... um ... scary !
    ilja likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast