+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 3/27 AI 12 Top 8 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 3/27 AI 12 Top 8 Performance **West Coast Spoilers**

Nicknames for TEAMS on the Amazing Race have been used for many seasons. However, nicknames for individuals in individual competitions make it difficult for other posters to understand who that contestant is. It would be appreciated if true names come into play for individual contest shows as a sign of respect for those who wish to post here.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Just to clarify the rules around here. Staff members can delete a post if it is off-topic, against our rules or for any other reason. If a staff members PMs you to explain, that is a courtesy; it is not a requirement. The staff here is not paid. They take time out of their lives to make this a nice place for EVERYONE. Please don't make their job harder by being argumentative or rude.

Lil Bit and sclilred1 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    I thought all three guys were terrible in that group song. I, personally, felt that there was something very off through the whole thing and it involved all three guys. They were jointly and individually awful.

Also, it was obvious that lyrics had been forgotten and when he got to Lazaro that is what was confirmed....I heard the word "I" not "we" and I actually watched it again this morning.....that doesn't mean I'm right...it may mean I wasn't listening well. I don't see his admitting that he forgot the lyrics as making an excuse...it's owning his failure in this case. He obviously does struggle in this area, but I refuse to jump on the band wagon of bashing him for this issue. This is a kid who obviously has struggled all his life with the speech issue, and it just may be that those struggles were a bit broader than that based on his struggles with learning songs. It's unfortunate that he is struggling in this area and I do think he was the worst for the past two weeks and probably should go home. I just can't help but care about this kid who already seems to struggle with self-esteem. While I do think his time has come, I don't want it to be a mean nasty exit.

Burnell, if indeed he was mocking Laz, needs to get over himself and he owes Laz an apology! That is cruel and shows a very nasty streak!!
    I didn't see it during the show but watched it yesterday. The performance was very off, It wasn't all that clear who forgot lyrics and who didn't. What was clear to me was they all threw each other under the bus after they got panned by Nicky. What I heard was Burrell very cockily say I did what I was supposed to do. Then something and b-b-b-b-b--b-b--b-bus -clearly mocking Lazaro. Then Devin said he tried to "save a couple people." Well, there were only two other people up there with him. And Lazaro said "we" didn't know the lyrics very well. That was the least objectionable thing I heard any of the three of them say.
    echo226 and cubsfan55 like this.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    I thought all three guys were terrible in that group song. I, personally, felt that there was something very off through the whole thing and it involved all three guys. They were jointly and individually awful.

Also, it was obvious that lyrics had been forgotten and when he got to Lazaro that is what was confirmed....I heard the word "I" not "we" and I actually watched it again this morning.....that doesn't mean I'm right...it may mean I wasn't listening well. I don't see his admitting that he forgot the lyrics as making an excuse...it's owning his failure in this case. He obviously does struggle in this area, but I refuse to jump on the band wagon of bashing him for this issue. This is a kid who obviously has struggled all his life with the speech issue, and it just may be that those struggles were a bit broader than that based on his struggles with learning songs. It's unfortunate that he is struggling in this area and I do think he was the worst for the past two weeks and probably should go home. I just can't help but care about this kid who already seems to struggle with self-esteem. While I do think his time has come, I don't want it to be a mean nasty exit.

Burnell, if indeed he was mocking Laz, needs to get over himself and he owes Laz an apology! That is cruel and shows a very nasty streak!!
    If you watch the actual video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcwtp_44ykw

Lazaro clearly said "We". He did own to his failure but he included the others with him when clearly it was only him who forgot the words (Burnell said he did his parts, Devin said he tried to help "a couple people" obviously referring to Lazaro in a general way, and tried his best to fill in for his lines). Lazaro has trouble memorizing but at this stage of the game, you really can't make that as an excuse anymore as everyone are on the same boat trying to learn unfamiliar songs. This is just fair game and you can't put him on a different level of the playing field just because of his affliction. Nikki did call out Lazaro for "falling flat as a pancake" which dragged down the whole performance and affected the other two. Of course they have to defend themselves because they thought only one person screwed up. It is not fair to the other two that Lazaro would include them for his own mess (forgot the words and didn't do the moves). In fact he should have apologized to them for screwing up. When Ryan asked them, Lazaro should have jumped in, admit to his screw-up and apologized to them, the jduges, and the audience right away. That would have been the valiant thing to do. Instead he only apologized to Ryan's dad!

Also about Burnell, he wasn't mocking Lazaro. When Ryan asked them the question, Burnell was about to speak but Lazaro at the same time wanted to speak. It was Lazaro that everyone heard saying "W-we d-d-didnt..." and he got cut off by Burnell saying "I did what i'm supposed to do." so it sounded like it was Burnell stuttering because Lazaro's DIDN'T overlapped with Burnell's DID. Watch the video above and you will see it at 2:47 when Lazaro was talking to his mic but Burnell cut him off. And when Burnell said that he didn't want to throw anybody under the bus, camera panned to Nikki shaking her head and telling Burnell to cut it with her hand gestures signalling Burnell not to do it (throw anybody under the bus)
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 04-01-2013 at 03:19 AM.
    RealVoyeur likes this.

I also found a couple of interesting bits between Devin and Lazaro. At the beginning when Lazaro ran down to the mike, Devin gave him a look. After it was over and they stepped in front of the mikes, Devin poked Lazaro in the chest.

As far as singing, the only ones I heard singing individual parts were Burnell and Devin. Lazaro didn't even attempt the back up harmony most of the time. A sad situation (especially for Devin.)
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

To the Point

jammyjoe, I know that he said "we" in this clip, and I don't care enough to go back and hunt, but there was some other point where he started to say "we" again and corrected himself to say I. I know it wasn't at that specific time, and I also know it doesn't correct what he did. The only point I was trying to make in regards to that was that I don't see it so much as an excuse as I do just admitting to the issue. Now, that isn't saying that he doesn't mean it as an excuse, but I see it as a statement of fact (not that it's necessary since it was obvious).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Maybe we need a show without judges comments/critiques.
    I've wished for this for YEARS - Judges can pull together the group that America can pick from...then let the kids sing longer, hear Jimmy's working with them ahead of time, and on results day, Jimmy's review...who cares what the 4 other judges say?? It takes WAY too much time...they can serve as mentors behind the scenes - even on stage, but if one has to speak - then ONE gets to give each contestant a critique - not ALL FOUR.

I hear Lazaro's self esteem mentioned often... but lately he doesn't seem to have a self esteem issue. The last few weeks I've seen attitude coming off that guy in waves. When he was getting his critique from Randy he gave that smart a$$ "No problem!" twice.. and rolled his eyes. It's obvious he knows he's safe. On the results show he was leaning back on one elbow just sprawled on the bench at one point. The guy might have a decent voice but he's out of his league, he keeps making excuses, and he doesn't respect the judges. In my opinion, Devin went home at least one or two weeks too early. Lazaro is drinking the pop idol Kool Aid already, believing his own press and thinking he's all that!

Cookie
    RealVoyeur and MsDiva2007 like this.

I think only Lazaro himself doesn't know that he's only getting by because of sympathy/pity votes and the support of VFTW which was the same thing that happened with the blind Scott MacIntyre. Scott stuck around and came in 8th, Lazaro is currently 7th place beating Scott and achieving feats done by Sanjaya Malakar and Tim Urban. If he survives next week, then he will beat their record which would increase his unpopularity. For his sake, people should stop voting for him. They r just doing him a disservice as he is not ready for this type of competition. He will just get delusional about his talent when in reality he is out of his league. Nick Boddington should have taken his place. If Mariah keeps commenting on your courage and not your vocals, then u must be really bad.

The talent this year on American Idol is all minor League as far as I can see.
    Misty8723 likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread