+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 3/13 AI 12 Top 10 Perfomance Round **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 3/13 AI 12 Top 10 Perfomance Round **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    Just watching this show demonstrates just how good past seasons' contestants really were/are.
    To me watching the talent or mostly lack thereof demonstrates just how much better the past seasons' judges really were.

While I suspect some of the worst boys were chosen just so a female could finally win, that is still no excuse for this level of incompetency.
    Bet2Win likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    Ugh. I called it last week, Curtis would screetch a Fantasia song tonight.
    I am not a fan of Fantasia by any stretch of the imagination, but she sounded fantastic compared to Curtis. That was not good. Also, his jacket is hideous .
    But ... but ... Randy thinks it's "fly". It is sad because he took somebody good's spot.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

There were some good vocals tonight...and even some great ones...but, again, I was insanely bored.

To the Point

For me, Curtis is the one who needs to go. He was the worst of the night and for me that was by quite a lot.

Can someone please help me figure out what it is about Amber that I find off-putting? She has a beautiful voice but there is something about her that makes me think she might be a wee bit conceited.

Fav of night Candace

Fun night tonight. I actually liked Curtis' jacket. I think for the first time on AI, the stylists are really on point. Everyone looks the best they can possibly look! Janelle's outfit was very flattering and all the girls looked beautiful.

Not sure why Amber had the pimp spot at the end. Was definitely not the best by a long shot. Best of the night were Candace, Angie and Kree. They want a girl to win this year for sure!

In conclusion, ballads are boring.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    For me, Curtis is the one who needs to go. He was the worst of the night and for me that was by quite a lot.

Can someone please help me figure out what it is about Amber that I find off-putting? She has a beautiful voice but there is something about her that makes me think she might be a wee bit conceited.

Fav of night Candace
    I think a lot of people have told her she reminds them of Whitney. That is a huge thing since for years they have been telling people on AI that they shouldn't try to take on Whitney or Mariah ! So ... I do think she is conceited. After meeting with Jimmy she said "He told me I'm beautiful" In the clip we saw he did NOT say beautiful. I think he said pretty or attractive ... but not beautiful. That is what she picked up on? That he enjoyed her looks?
    CupidGuest likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

You all know I'm a huge Scotty fan and to hear two of his Idol performance songs not necessarily butchered, but sung by lesser singers (Paul) just made me cry. And even though she bounced around the stage, Janelle just didn't produce the same feeling of energy in her performance.

My favorites of the night - Candice and Kree - Candice for her phrasing and purity and Kree for her tone and emotion.
    sparklete likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

First time watching tonight...honestly, a bit bored. I wanted the original AIs to sing the songs all night. Wow, the talent was really superb in past seasons! Angie, Paul, Burnell, and Amber stood out for me. Kree has good stage presence, but she didn't resonate with me.

This is going to sound weird, but Amber reminds of Carrie Underwood. She's got this fabulous gift of a voice, and needs to learn how to communicate with it. Carrie honed that skill over the course of her season, and I hope Amber does that too this season.
    NFL1 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    First time watching tonight...honestly, a bit bored. I wanted the original AIs to sing the songs all night. Wow, the talent was really superb in past seasons! Angie, Paul, Burnell, and Amber stood out for me. Kree has good stage presence, but she didn't resonate with me.

This is going to sound weird, but Amber reminds of Carrie Underwood. She's got this fabulous gift of a voice, and needs to learn how to communicate with it. Carrie honed that skill over the course of her season, and I hope Amber does that too this season.
    I was always bored by Carrie U's performances. Beautiful voice but no soul, no emotion, no character. Just boring (but damn pretty!). I think she has gotten better over the years, but IMO, there stil isn't any genuine emotion and I can't enjoy her music as a result.

Same goes for Amber.

Amber does seem to have similar demeanor to Carrie. No one kill me, but they are like the nice pretty girls. The kind that are born with the whole package - looks, talent, and a genuine cup-half-full perspective on life. They never seem flustered, they never seem down, and life runs along form them in a very orderly way.

We should all be packaged so nicely, but that isn't the case. I can't connect with them.
    CupidGuest likes this.

March 13, 2013: The Top Ten

1. Candace Glover. There were three magnificent performances tonight but I (Who Have Nothing) was in a league all its own. It was an intensely emotional and gut-wrenching performance that sent chills down my spine. Vocally it was shock and awe powerful, yet loaded with longing, unrequited love, and painful emotion. Randy called it perfect; I couldnít agree more. This is the fourth song to earn a place on my list of Top Twelve Performances of Season 12. The other three are You Set Me Free (Angie Miller), Ordinary People (Candace Glover), and Cause I Love You (Vincent Powell), but, this is the first performance of season 12 to earn a place on my list of the Best Idol Performances of All Time (which I post annually the night of the Finale). Based solely on talent, I think Candace is the best singer here, but talent alone will not win you this title. Randy keeps reminding us that this is a singing competition, but thatís only partly true. Those of us that watch this show religiously know that talent is just one of several factors that influence voters. I always respect Americaís choices, even when I disagree, but I hope America agrees that this was one of the finest performances ever in the history of American Idol. Thank you, Candace. I loved it!
    2. Devin Velez. Nicki liked it but got no support. From here, Temporary Home is one of the best songs ever from any Idol alum. It is masterfully constructed; with message-oriented, cerebral, somber, and cogent lyrics, complemented by an exquisite melody. Nicki liked it but I am worried a bit because the other three judges have a point: while this is a great song with a great storyline, I donít know if it is a competition song, so it will be interesting to see how America feels about it. In my opinion, this was a beautiful, mellifluous performance of an equally beautiful song. I loved it! From my heart, thank you Devin Velez, for bringing this wonderful song to the Idol stage. That took courage.
    3. Kree Harrison. This, too, was a magnificent performance; from the tortured soul of Kree Harrison. I love Kree; she sings like an angel; and is my pick to win to all, but this song is an instant mood killer. It resurrects feelings of love and losing; feeling long ago let alone because I could no longer cope with them, so while she sang it well, I did not want to revisit the pain, so watched and listened from afar. Kree, on the other hand, lives and works on an elevated level of consciousness, knew immediately what she had to do, then disappeared inside these mournful lyrics. She is so transparent, so real, so passionate, so good for music, and those of us that love it so very much. Good job, Kree.
    4. Amber Holcomb. She looked good. She sang it well. I love Kelly; she is The First Lady of Idol, but I am the only person in America to dislike A Moment Like This. I think Amber is insanely talented. I could listen to her sing all day. She is absolutely adorable; so worthy of love, but born without a killer instinct so lacks the will to win, and therein lies her very vulnerable Achillesí heel. But thereís no denying it; this kid can sing her face off (yes, I stole that line from Randy).
    5. Angie Miller. This was a good performance as well; she sang it well. The problem for Angie is You Set Me Free. I have heard nothing since that even comes close to matching its artistry, passion, and performance value. Contestants like Colton and Angie are at their best when seated at the piano singing lyrics that deal with spirituality and religion (You Set Me Free, Never Gone), but not nearly as convincing when confronted with more mundane and earthly emotions like love, sex, desire, and losing (I Surrender). Her song choices share a common theme: gender neutral spirituality. Thatís a good thing, no doubt, but if she really wants to reach out to the masses, sheíll need to find a way to relate to the common man. After all, Christians feel too; they lust, they desire, they get jealous; they fall in love, they have sex, they get dumped, they hurt just like the rest of us, so it should be fairly easy to connect with and project these lyrics to the secular world. Thereís no need to avoid them, ignore them, or get round them; they are a part of the human condition that we all share. There are moments when she touches my soul and I believe her every word; e.g. when seated at piano and caught up in the rapture, but there are also moments away from the piano, wandering about the stage, that she becomes Angie, The Performer, and that Angie is not very believable at all. I wonder if maybe this is at the heart of Jimmy Iovineís comments to her regarding his observations of a disconnect between her on- and off-stage personas. I suspect he, too, has identified layers in her personality and is trying to strip away the pretentious parts so that thereís nothing left but Angie, the Artist, and the truth. At least I hope thatís what heís after, because I absolutely adore Angie, The Artist.
    6. Burnell Taylor. He owns a unique stage presence; so regal, elegant, and stylish. Flying Without Wings is a good song with a good lyric, and he sang it quite well, I just donít think this performance was in the same time zone as Iím Here and Ready For Love. But I genuinely love the man he is and what he brings to the stage. Burnell is the truth; thereís nothing pretentious about him.
    7. Paul Jolley. Paul is a good singer. There was nothing wrong with Amazed; it was a pleasant listen. Heís also very, very likable, for sure; honest, genuine, open. I know America loves him and Jimmy loves him. I love him too, but an American Idol? Iím just not seeing it. I hope I am wrong; because heís a good kid.
    8. Janelle Arthur. Janelle is so likeable, so darn adorable, I can understand why America fell in love with her, but I try to be honest with these critiques. Compared to the others, sheís in over her head. Sheís got wonderful stage presence but either has a very limited vocal range or has unlimited range and is afraid to use it.
    9. Curtis Finch Jr. I love his R&B; it is so sweet; so real, and so very good. I did not like this performance at all. Fantasia brought this song to the Idol stage and nailed it shut, so unless your name is Regina Vasquez, itís probably best to let it stay there.
    10. Lazaro Arbos. Breakaway is a beautiful song of courage; in my opinion, Kelly Clarksonís best composition ever. The trouble with this song is that it cannot be recreated in baritone. Thereís nothing wrong with the song choice; Lazaro picked the wrong key, which created pitch problems, which compromised and diminished the integrity of the performance.

Nigel: wherever you are, Thank You; i love the show's new format!!
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 03-14-2013 at 04:17 AM.
    NFL1 and CupidGuest like this.

+ Reply to Thread