+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Candice Glover AI 12

Re: Candice Glover AI 12

I take it due to the lack of response, that there are some that feel as I do? Silence is golden & all that.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Not necessarily. Not too many people have been in the forum lately due to the holidays, perhaps. I'm happy she has her record out there.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I can't say I love that song, but it's not bad. I caught Candice on the Disney Christmas parade/show last week singing a Christmas song. She sounded lovely, at least for the 60 seconds of air time they gave her.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

It's not my cup of tea, but I wish her well.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Not necessarily. Not too many people have been in the forum lately due to the holidays, perhaps. I'm happy she has her record out there.
    Candace is one of my all-time favorite contestants. I love her look, her sound, her humble personality, and intelligence. I especially liked having the top 6 comprised of all women. They were SO good in their own ways. They were unfortunate victims of self-indulgent judges.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    Candace is one of my all-time favorite contestants. I love her look, her sound, her humble personality, and intelligence. I especially liked having the top 6 comprised of all women. They were SO good in their own ways. They were unfortunate victims of self-indulgent judges.
    I felt like they deliberately tried to be quite manipulative. Sometimes they were more successful than others. I would like to see far less out and out attempts at manipulation. I want to see as fair and as balanced musical critiques as these 3 judges are able to give.

Not just on last season but on any season, I could sit there and try diligently to influence the win of my favorite or try to push out the bottom the ones I don't personally like. What I can't do is to professinally, accurately, and fairly critique the performers.

All of us know what we like! We need judges who know the music from the technical side and can and will comment on it.

I say let the chips fall as they will. If it is 6 girl finalists, well so be it. If it is 6 guy finalists, then so be that, but at least be fair about the judging.

End of rant.

Also, that was NOT directed at you.
    NCLurker likes this.

I said it after she won & I'll stick to it, she will be perhaps the least productive winner in Idol history. And Hits Daily Double seems to have some evidence to back up that claim. They are estimating first week sales of her album at 17,000- 19,000 units. That is unheard of for an Idol winner's first release. But, the way she has been treated (delaying the release multiple times) & the lack of promotion from the label & her seemingly grumpy personality are all colliding to work against her.

FORT Fogey

In my very sincere opinion, it is most unfortunate. Candace is a beautiful girl with a fabulous voice in her genre. However, she did not have that magnetic charisma or stage presence that it takes to automatically pull people and to make an automatic, gigantic star. From early on, she lagged behind some of the others in popularity. At one point, they did something different and showed the vote with the girls. Candice was in 4th. However, the judges were dead set and determined in their agenda that Candice was going to win Idol, and they pushed it all the way, especially after she received such a good response to her home visit video.

In retrospect, I think that the idols who have done well in record sells have been popular and front runners up very close to the top all along the way. There was very little doubt about Kelly, Scottie, and definitely Carrie. We never knew the vote, but we knew the 3 of them had a fantastic shot of taking it all from weeks ahead, and many of us felt they would do well in the field of entertainment as well.
    ilja likes this.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

FORT Fogey

I agree. There are a handful who just don't translate into the pop or rock world. Candace, Fantasia are two. Kathryn McPhee and the girl who placed 2nd to Fantasia (what is her name!) are two others. All phenomenal singers but not a good match to the pop world. Broadway seems to have worked for a few of them. I really hope Candance gets a career in music out this somehow. Even if she is a back up singer or something.

Fantasia and Candace, I see both Fantasia and Candace as through-backs to the divas of the 60's, e.g. Aretha Franklin, etc. and/or jazz and/or blues.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234